Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Trying to improve over the winter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JonP

JonP

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78528
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Hey all,

Recently purchased the Optishot and although not the best system it fit my price point.  I'm looking to improve my swing over these long canadian winter months and would appreciate any feedback anyone cares to offer.

I'm currently sitting at a 12.6 handicap.

My driver swing speed is near 105-110 with a typical drive of 250-260ish and I use my 7 iron for shots around 160-165.

I stuggle with outside in on my longer clubs and really want to develop an inside out swing.

http://youtu.be/qH5WPvVyNGg?t=20s

And slow mo..with lines I added, although I have no idea where to really put them.  Suggestions would be awesome

http://youtu.be/YUa0DW3YrO4

Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 240clutch

240clutch

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207957
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

is Optishot capable of capturing a push draw? meaning ball starts out hard to the right and has a large sweeping draw back to center.
This might be difficult since you asked for help creating an inside out swing ... so maybe you can confirm the other extreme...can the Optishot capture a pull fade?

But the advice here is - practice hitting a push draw if you want to work on your in to out swing. Let me know about the questions, I'm thinking of getting the Optishot too, but if it's not capable of capturing pull fades, and push draws, then I'm not buying it.

#3 JonP

JonP

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Well as you alluded to I don't normally have a push draw shot.  However one of my playing partners has a natural draw (on the course) and this is the normal shot we see for him on Optishot.  Starts out straight and curves about 5-10 yards left.  He is in a different league then me though when it comes to golfing.  He will adjust the aim so that he is pointed right and play the shot this way.

With my long irons and woods, the optshot definetly shows a pull fade, starting out left and coming back towards my target line.  That is normal for me on a real course too.  I've just learned to play it as it is.
After such a shot, the optishot generally shows an outside in swing path with an open (relative to target line) or square club face.

My buddies swing is generally inside out, with a slightly open face.

Lately though my shots have not been coming back right and I am missing left.  Straight pull or pull hook.

Back to the Optishot, when you dig into the swing statistics it shows the following charateristics.  Swing Path, Face Angle, Contact and of course swing speed.

It shows: path as extreme inside out, inside out, square (and vice versus),
contact as extreme heel, heel, square , toe, etc
face angle as open, closed, square with varying degrees.

Further into the software it will show these statistics as numerical values, such a face angle 1, path 3.25, contact 1, tempo..etc.

Issues I have with the system are with thin shots...sometimes little or no difference.
Occasionally I'll have a shot that the distance is obviously screwed up.  Like 360 yard drives, etc.

We just live with that.

Also, trees don't seem to have much of a effect.  The 90% air theory is in play here.

And short game is pretty theortical based as it doesn't measure spin.

I have some pretty good golfers over occasionally to play and they love it during the winter.  The optishot swing generally mimicates their real life swing with only the occasional wtf.

I did take the time to set it up correctly though...lighting is super important and I also entered all my offsets, etc into the software.  Seems to make a difference.

So to finally answer your question...yes it will read a pull fade...and I'm assuming a push draw..

#4 240clutch

240clutch

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207957
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Awesome! Liked the detailed response, thanks. Im tempted at picking it up for winter practice.

#5 JonP

JonP

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

If you plan on playing real balls check out westcoastnetting.com.  I picked up a tight mesh impact screen for way way cheaper then what you would pay for a high def projection impact screen.  Light from a projector will escape through the back but I solved this by picking up some blackout curtains from walmart for cheap.

It doesn't show on my video but the picure is pretty clear and good definition.  HDMI from my laptop.

It isn't a perfect system.  Obviously when you look at the price point.  But I keep an open mind and appreciate that I'm swinging a real club at a real ball at courses I'll most likely never get to play.   All while it is -30 outside.  

My setup was finished at around 1200 bucks...Optishot, shortthrow projector, impact screen.  I picked up an old mat from our driving range for free and already had a good laptop.

Let me know if you have other questions...

On the other topic...do I need to change how I film videos or whatnot to get some swing advice?  Not clear enough, etc?

Thanks!

#6 butch33611

butch33611

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187822
GolfWRX Likes : 346

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I also have an optishot. Here's my setup for winter practice.: The carpet on the floor is excelent for putting practice. In the optishot software I go the driving range. set up shots with my wedge. Without using a ball I swing the wedge with the optishot until its hitting right by the flag. Then I step away frome the sencor and hit actual shots with a ball using that same swing. After about 5 real ball swings I go back to the optishot and check the swing again. If it remains the same I back up to the 9 iron and repeat. I belive this has made great strides in my iron play. Other days I leave the optishot off and just concentrate on pure ball contact through out my bag. Another day will be spent only on putting practice. Another day only hitting little pitch shots and flop shots. Winter in Minnesota is long. I have plenty of time to practice and dont waist one minute of it. I started this program this fall after the season ended. I've never practiced this much before and already I can tell a huge difference in my confidence in ball striking.

We shall see. Good luck with your project. If I can help please let me know. I built mine out of 2 inch PVC pipe. Its a better setup then anything I could have bought.

Attached Thumbnails

• OPTI1.jpg

#7 Jon Robert

Jon Robert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163937
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I have the P3ProSwing and obviously have used it.  I figure the best benefit of using such a device is to develop feel. So. Try to feel what it is you just did and call it out. Then see if the Optishot agrees with you.  Then vs vs the Optishot will educate you on what you really felt.  Otherwise such devices are no better than beating balls at the range.  Use the Opti to learn feel or spend a lot of time learning not much of anything of value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors