Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Hit a R1 yesterday.

143 replies to this topic

#1 potuna

potuna

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3931
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Didn't like the graphics on the top and my R11 dot feels better to me.

SLDR 10.5 Diamana B
Adams XTD Ti Speeder VC 7.2 tour spec
Adams XTD 17 Fubuki AX 350
Onoff 2013 CBs 4-pw Steelfiber 110
Bettinardi BB5/BB8
Cleveland RTX 50,54,58

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67065
GolfWRX Likes : 576

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

A great friend of mine, who I played with in college, had the exact same thoughts. He was underwhelmed and it was 2 yards shorter on average than his R11s. More and more the reports coming in on this driver are not encouraging.

#3 Bcros80

Bcros80

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220107
  • Ebay ID:bcros8780
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Yeah I can see how the crown graphics would be distracting. Personally, I gave up on taylormade ever since the white heads came out...can't stand em.

#4 driverhead

driverhead

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2121
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostTheDarkOne, on 08 January 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

A great friend of mine, who I played with in college, had the exact same thoughts. He was underwhelmed and it was 2 yards shorter on average than his R11s. More and more the reports coming in on this driver are not encouraging.

Is it only with the stock shaft setup?

#5 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67065
GolfWRX Likes : 576

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Yes, his "gamer" shafts due to the tip change are unusable. A clever way by TM to force people to buy the TP models with the shafts they want. Otherwise you could get the non tour head and use your old shaft.  
A truly idiotic decision by TM as it opens the door for people like myself who have been using their products for almost ten years to now think about changing to another company. I mean if I have to get new shafts anyway why not?

#6 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

2 yards? Really?

#7 TMBob

TMBob

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21998
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostTheDarkOne, on 08 January 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Yes, his "gamer" shafts due to the tip change are unusable. A clever way by TM to force people to buy the TP models with the shafts they want. Otherwise you could get the non tour head and use your old shaft.  
A truly idiotic decision by TM as it opens the door for people like myself who have been using their products for almost ten years to now think about changing to another company. I mean if I have to get new shafts anyway why not?

We are both not engineers so it is hard to comment on the R1 sleeves and why the change 100%, but we both could agree that TM needs to be offering the new sleeves to retail ASAP.

I am a bit surprised why they have not done this in the past or why all OEM's do not do this. When I was in retail (clothing and golf) add on sales is where it was at. The same goes with the OEM's......if they can get you to by one of there items, they want you to buy at least one more if not 10 more.

#8 Hogan's Cardy

Hogan's Cardy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147827
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostWillie Malay, on 08 January 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

2 yards? Really?

Yes it's hard to fathom....
Yonex Ezone SD 10.5*
Yonex SD 18*
TBD
AP2 710 4-9
Cleveland CG16 48* 588 53* & 58
Method 003

#9 tonster

tonster

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17321
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Could someone chime in a bit more on the R1 sleeve change? Haven't really been following the release of the R1 and this is the first I have heard of it.

#10 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

Hall of Fame

• 9,499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37417
GolfWRX Likes : 2583

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

people like myself who have been using their products for almost ten years to now think about changing to another company. I mean if I have to get new shafts anyway why not?

I posted this in another thread, but I believe this could be the beginning of the end for TMAGs driver domination. They started to suck customers in during the R7 days with their tour presence (#1 driver in golf) and  their marketing. I still remember the commercial now with all the Black/Yellow/Red staff bags lining the fairways. The R7 customers bought the R9 and then R11 so they were married to TMAG. Now that these same customers basically need to start over in their 5 year relationship. Why not date the new chick on the block? Will they come back? Some yes and some no. Hypothetically TMAG sold 60% of all driver shares last year, look for that to be 50% this year, 45% the following year and so on.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 TMBob

TMBob

Major Winner

• 3,769 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Different amount of teeth DLefty mentioned and a 1/2 moon bulge about mid way down that is full moon on the older version. No Flat lie angle positions and more upright ones on the new one.

Lowest loft setting is 8 degrees and goes up to 12.......head has no loft printed on it anymore. You adjust the sleeve to the loft setting of your choice. There is a line on the 10 degree mark as this is the N position or starting point. IF you ground your diver at address, bottom ASP plate will offer up 3 different open and closed positions and the N placement.

Word on the site is to adjust this head to 1/2 degree higher then your current set up, so example my R11S head is a 9 degree loft and is set at N which makes it 9.....On my R1 it is set at 9.5 right now and they are close to the same. Really hard to tell without the same shaft in them and without a LM, but close.

I would love to hear from a Clubmaker what the actual loft on the R1 is......is it 10?

#12 Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69095
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

The sleeve change just seems to be a logical evolution ... if you're going to introduce a new feature like the uniloft, it's just going to require a different connection method.

Pretty sure it'll change again a couple years down the road - which I expect would be true for Nike, Ping, Cobra and anyone else who is making an adjustable driver.

I don't think it's a conspiracy.

Besides, why couldn't you just get new R1 tips for the shafts you have and epoxy them on?

#13 TMBob

TMBob

Major Winner

• 3,769 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

View Postscratchswinger, on 08 January 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

people like myself who have been using their products for almost ten years to now think about changing to another company. I mean if I have to get new shafts anyway why not?

Hypothetically TMAG sold 60% of all driver shares last year, look for that to be 50% this year, 45% the following year and so on.

So, is this like Nick Satin winning the BCS game the next 3 years but only winning by 28 points, then 21 points then 17 points?

#14 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1697

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I think a good idea would be to offer the sleeves before launch at a reasonable price. Didn't the Anser sleeve take awhile to be released and I'm not 100% sure but I thought I saw them for $60?? This way it would encourage your loyal customers a chance to have a few shafts or their Gamer to try when the driver launches. Rather than hit the stock option and say it wasn't "all that" without a true comparison or correct fitting shaft.

Or better yet do a trade up program where you can swap your old sleeve for the new one at a nice discounted price...I mean if you really want to take care of the loyal customer...That's what I would do.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#15 5 O'Clock Charlie

5 O'Clock Charlie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142421
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostBcros80, on 08 January 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Yeah I can see how the crown graphics would be distracting. Personally, I gave up on taylormade ever since the white heads came out...can't stand em.

Same here.  I was on the fence with the 2.0 TP.  The R1 is flat Horrid.

Ping i25 - Driver
Ping i25 - 3 Wood
Ping i25 - Hybrid
Ping s55 Irons - (4-PW)
Ping Tour Wedges - (54/60)
Ping Scottsdale TR ZB S Putter

#16 tdelam

tdelam

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177540
  • Ebay ID:tdelamor
GolfWRX Likes : 378

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I just did that with their irons with this rocketbladez crap, sold my MC's and moved on, company gets no support from me anymore.

As for the driver, I heard reports of shots coming up 30-40 yards short for no real reason, kind of like the burner 2.0's issue with being too hot off the face except this too soft off the face, could this be true?
TaylorMade SLDR Mini 14
PING i20 20
Mizuno MP-53 3-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 F-Grind (52, 56
Scotty Cameron Tei3

#17 TMBob

TMBob

Major Winner

• 3,769 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostKadin 25, on 08 January 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

I think a good idea would be to offer the sleeves before launch at a reasonable price. Didn't the Anser sleeve take awhile to be released and I'm not 100% sure but I thought I saw them for $60?? This way it would encourage your loyal customers a chance to have a few shafts or their Gamer to try when the driver launches. Rather than hit the stock option and say it wasn't "all that" without a true comparison or correct fitting shaft.

Or better yet do a trade up program where you can swap your old sleeve for the new one at a nice discounted price...I mean if you really want to take care of the loyal customer...That's what I would do.

There are endless ways to create a new or repeat customers when a change happens like this and you mentioned a few of them.

They could be offering different types of sleeves to the public at retail levels. Look, they make Tour versions, so they have the molds done, why not offer those for sale also. I would love to see a sleeve with more flatter lie angle, an all metal R1 sleeve and one that has a smaller, tighter range of adjustments

If they price em right, they will sell plenty to Joe Public let alone the clubmakers

#18 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

Hall of Fame

• 9,499 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostTMBob, on 08 January 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

Hypothetically TMAG sold 60% of all driver shares last year, look for that to be 50% this year, 45% the following year and so on.

So, is this like Nick Satin winning the BCS game the next 3 years but only winning by 28 points, then 21 points then 17 points?

Sabin

My point is that they had strangle hold and now with this release I expect there to be breathing room for the competition.

#19 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1697

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostTMBob, on 08 January 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

View PostKadin 25, on 08 January 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

There are endless ways to create a new or repeat customers when a change happens like this and you mentioned a few of them.

They could be offering different types of sleeves to the public at retail levels. Look, they make Tour versions, so they have the molds done, why not offer those for sale also. I would love to see a sleeve with more flatter lie angle, an all metal R1 sleeve and one that has a smaller, tighter range of adjustments

If they price em right, they will sell plenty to Joe Public let alone the clubmakers
That would be a great idea!

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#20 TMBob

TMBob

Major Winner

• 3,769 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

View Posttdelam, on 08 January 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

I just did that with their irons with this rocketbladez crap, sold my MC's and moved on, company gets no support from me anymore.

As for the driver, I heard reports of shots coming up 30-40 yards short for no real reason, kind of like the burner 2.0's issue with being too hot off the face except this too soft off the face, could this be true?

I can see some shorter drivers from a certain type of player, because of the low spin and different CG.........The R9 was this way as I saw a few people that did not create enough spin to keep it in the air as I saw it drop like a rock.

Also,  I was able to hit the R11 before it reached the public........It was 20 yards shorter the my ST even though it was a 10.5 and I play 8.5. It flat out sucked in feel and performance. I then got one a month or so after they came out in a 9 degree and figured that I just had the wrong loft and it sucked more often then not so back to the ST. I had to try it one more time and I did with a 8 degree which was a later production and it was as good as anything I have owned. Thus, I tried 3 different R11 drivers all with my own shafts and one was awesome the other two were sub standard and I posted this back then.

My first results with the R1 have not been that good as I try and dial it in.........I have seen some shorter drives with it like I did with the R11 9 degree up at the range. I also have seen a few good one also, but not as many. It seems to vary in distance to much like the first two R11 did for me.

Really, without having a shaft that I have had great luck with, plus the lack of some decent weather conditions to get real time course feedback, my early thoughts have little bearing at this point, be good or bad.

Time will tell and as it always does.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 TMBob

TMBob

Major Winner

• 3,769 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

View Postscratchswinger, on 08 January 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

Sabin

My point is that they had strangle hold and now with this release I expect there to be breathing room for the competition.

I get your point, did you get mine......is 17 points not enough breathing room.

I said "Satin" because he is called this on the airwaves at times......I personally think that Bama is awesome and should be and Sabin has done his job.

#22 cheeser

cheeser

Mr. 81

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4489
  • Handicap:6.7
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

If DJ wins with it in his first tourney, you better believe TM is going to ride that for the rest of the year.  I've been a TaylorMade driver owner for quite some time and I'll give a twirl but I'm not expecting huge changes from my R11TP.

#23 Optima Golf

Optima Golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184914
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

I hit one a few weeks ago ( guy i played with had one).  The shaft was really light but I just didnt' like how it hit.  I am sure with a decent shaft (it had the TP shaft) it would be a bit better but my 910 felt a ton better.  My Burner 2.0 driver even feels better.

Edited by Optima Golf, 08 January 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#24 hmx3

hmx3

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22522
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

IMO the R1 is the last type of the R-production run.

To hold the leadership in driver tech, TM must offer a new driver concept.

I think TM is working at it.

#25 harleydavis

harleydavis

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121945
  • Handicap:4.1

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

So your friend hit the new R1 with a shaft that is more than likely no where near optimal for him and lost only two yards. Then concluded the club was junk? Hmmm....

#26 dplasters

dplasters

How little they know about what they imagine they can design

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101355
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostTMBob, on 08 January 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

I said "Satin" because he is called this on the airwaves at times......I personally think that Bama is awesome and should be and Sabin has done his job.

Satan vs Satin

My money is on Satin.  So soft and nice feeling.

You all change shafts a lot... I would always recommend that GolfWRXers realize that they make up a very small % of the golf industry and that while TM may receive some flak for changing the port, most golfers wont ever notice.  Wasn't there a survey done and most golfers with an adjustable driver never adjust it again after x months or something?

#27 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

Hall of Fame

• 9,499 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

View Postscratchswinger, on 08 January 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

Sabin

I get your point, did you get mine......is 17 points not enough breathing room.

Yes I see what you are saying. My numbers were picked out of the air- I expect to see more red and black heads in coming years and less white.

#28 TMBob

TMBob

Major Winner

• 3,769 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

View Postdplasters, on 08 January 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Satan vs Satin

My money is on Satin.  So soft and nice feeling.

You all change shafts a lot... I would always recommend that GolfWRXers realize that they make up a very small % of the golf industry and that while TM may receive some flak for changing the port, most golfers wont ever notice.  Wasn't there a survey done and most golfers with an adjustable driver never adjust it again after x months or something?

You are probably correct on that report...we heard this early on when TM first came out with it. Many members said the same thing.

Funny though, please name me a major OEM that does not have an adjustable driver and offer up at least 10 different custom shafts options?

Since TM came out with the screw in shaft, the words Get Fit Is growing. Go to a demo day with a LM and see how many of Joe Public only try a Driver with just the stock shaft. Not many....and if the fitter is on top of his game, why would he not offer more choices?

#29 bioman

bioman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81752

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

If all heads have a default loft of 10* and you adjust it to 8*, wouldn't that be ~3* open from the FA it started at?

Edited by bioman, 08 January 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#30 shoot54

shoot54

Rookie

• 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16699
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

IMHO - I've played A LOT of TM drivers over the years.  Got fitted once a while ago and was fitted into a Cally.  After a bit, I went back to TM.  Just love the way they feel and sound.  Decided to go get fit again this year.  Got fitted with the Ping Anser.  I'll always have a love affair with TM, but a guy has to use his head and go get fit.  It really is the only logical thing to do.  I love these graphics, but am not going to switch unless I can be properly dialed in.  

Remember, they don't draw pictures, they write numbers on the scorecards.  Who cares if its pink, white, blue or black?  Does it take less for you to get it in the hole?

T

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors