Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Larry Jocobs and thingolfer.com

weight loss

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 natedd

natedd

Mid-30s, Mid-Handi & trying to get in shape

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131271
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

As most other tubby schlubs like me, I have resolved to try to lose and keep off weight again. I have tried a number of diets and exercise programs over the years. I am looking for a practical, sustainable diet change that I will couple with an exercise regimen.  I walked ~80% of my rounds last year with a push cart and even that minor change made a real difference.

Sooooooo, listening to Fairways of Life, I am inundated with commercials and interviews for the Larry Jacobs "Thin for Life" program at his website thingolfer.com.  Everything about this screams scam.  From the cheesy website, to the outrageous claims of immediate and spectacular weight loss, to the high price that is always discounted.

At this point, please save me from myself, or convince me I am wrong.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1972

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

I am also a tubby schlub, but I know a lot of it is by choice. I know that I would knock off my belly if I ate less calories than I exerted and did 30 minutes of vigorous exercise every day.

Neither you not I need a website or a diet, we just need to make better choices.

#3 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

When his commercials come on... channel change time. Holy cow have the commercial minutes per hour increased or am I hallucinating? Wait don't answer that.
PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

#4 AP2 712

AP2 712

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104278
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

View Postesketores, on 07 January 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

When his commercials come on... channel change time. Holy cow have the commercial minutes per hour increased or am I hallucinating? Wait don't answer that.

It is possible that it is increasing.... I recently learned that Matt Adams and probably the other hosts on the network keep half of the commercial dollars while SiriusXM keeps the other half... Advertising pays the bills

Edited by AP2 712, 07 January 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#5 idiotbox

idiotbox

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5105
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

a lifestyle got you "tubby" and a lifestyle change will get you thinner. diets don't work, they are band aids that only treat symptoms and not the problem. good luck with your journey.

#6 geesecougar2

geesecougar2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104647
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I weighed 200 lbs in the 6th grade, and 175 lbs now. Best thing I ever did was:

Don't eat when you're not hungry, and don't eat 3 hours before you go to sleep.

Edited by geesecougar2, 07 January 2013 - 05:39 PM.

RBZ Tour 9* Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Burner TP 07 14.5 Axivcore Green 79x
Rescue 11 18* Aldila RIP 105x
i25 4-PW KBS Tour X Soft-stepped 1x
Vokey TVD 56* & 60* S400
Scotty Pro Platinum Laguna

#7 natedd

natedd

Mid-30s, Mid-Handi & trying to get in shape

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131271
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

I am not disagreeing with any of you, but even with the limited responses my dilemma has been reinforced. I definitely need to change my lifestyle, my lifestyle got me in to this. However, how do I change my lifestyle and what lifestyle should I change to?

I definitely will eat less, but in the past it has made me hungry and led to bad eating choices. Sure that is "willpower" but how do I shore up my willpower?

Someone said not to eat if I am not hungry and don't eat within 3 hours of bedtime. That contradicts what my nutritionist said, so who do I believe?

In the last 7 years I have tried low carb, no carb, 5 little meals/day, 1 big meal per day, and weight watchers. None of these were sustainable for me.

#8 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 873

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

I bit and provided my email, because that was required to get to the point on Jacobs' over the top website where you could find out the cost. It was last year and all I remember is that it was very pricey and I was literally bombarded with emails to sign up until I unsubscribed.

I'm planning my Jan. 15 - April 15 diet/fitness regimen right now, but it's nothing that requires a substantial investment in an internet program, and I know it's every bit as sound as what Jacobs advocates. Good food choices, smaller portions at more intervals and good exercise selection (Abs Diet and Golf Shape influences) along with using the treadmill for something other than holding throws.

Edited by HAWKEYE77, 07 January 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#9 peacedog

peacedog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117399
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

You need a lifestyle change. It's not easy or comfortable. You can go on a fad diet and gain all the weight back later or make some changes that won't give you drastic results in the beginning but will be far easier to maintain because they are part of your daily routine. Here are a few things you can do that will change your lifestyle and your waistline, some have been mentioned already, not in any order.
Eat breakfast, not too much, not too greasy, just eat something good. This helps stabilize your body and get it out of starvation mode.
Smaller portions. This is hard when you are used to chowing down, but key to weight loss. You have to eat less to weigh less.
Drink your water. If you can kick your soda or beer habits it will really help.
Go green. More veggies. Never seen anyone get big overeating veggies.
Exercise, workout, walk, do something for 30 min a day.
Cut down on fried food and sugar. Too many diets are unrealistic, cut back not out.
Better food choices.
Better, consistent sleep.

All things on that list are doable and you have control. Make these part of your daily routine and you'll cut down on the weight in a proper and healthy way. It won't happen overnight, but long term it will best way. Best of all it will become habit.

#10 mccarthyizm

mccarthyizm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200979
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

I was a college offensive linemen. I was strong, fat, but in good athletic shape. But when football ended, I wanted no part of remaining heavy. I went from 270 to 190 in about six months. I stayed below 215 for nine years, got back up to 250 after we had our first child, and have been back below 215 for the last 2 years. In other words, I have lost the weight and kept it off twice, and the cause of the weight gain in between was no big mystery: I ate everything I wanted when I wanted it for two years straight while barely moving.

Everybody's preferences, tastes, and habits are different, but the science behind the way our bodies operate is not. In other words, there is no magic to a diet, but there is a lot of sensationalist BS out there that you have to wade through to find scientifically backed ways of losing weight.

The following is not my idea, but I have found it to be the most successful plan for me:

1) Use an aggressive short-term diet to lose the weight. Diets suck. Get it over with.
2) Switch to a moderate, long-term, lifestyle oriented plan after that to maintain your weight loss.

In my opinion, Lyle McDonald is the Geoff Jones / Monte Scheinblum of weight loss. His book, THE RAPID FAT LOSS DIET, is the absolute best way to lose weight quickly that I have encountered. I used it to lose 50+ pounds twice in my life. It also has the side-benefit of being realistic, scientifically-backed, and completely free of BS. It's $40 well spent. Google him. The book covers the diet as well as how to calculate, tweak, and return to maintenance when the weight is gone. His online forums are active and helpful.

Diets and golf instruction have a lot in common. You can waste your life changing diets, workout routines, listening to "buddies", spinning in circles, or you can find somebody who knows what they're talking about, do exactly what they say, and block out the rest.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 kemau

kemau

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2773
GolfWRX Likes : 823

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

View Postnatedd, on 07 January 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

As most other tubby schlubs like me, I have resolved to try to lose and keep off weight again. I have tried a number of diets and exercise programs over the years. I am looking for a practical, sustainable diet change that I will couple with an exercise regimen.  I walked ~80% of my rounds last year with a push cart and even that minor change made a real difference.

Sooooooo, listening to Fairways of Life, I am inundated with commercials and interviews for the Larry Jacobs "Thin for Life" program at his website thingolfer.com.  Everything about this screams scam.  From the cheesy website, to the outrageous claims of immediate and spectacular weight loss, to the high price that is always discounted.

At this point, please save me from myself, or convince me I am wrong.

larry jacobs calls into matt & bk's show a good bit along with playing in their listeners cup golf tournament so he isn't exactly "hiding" if it's a scam.  doesn't seem to be reinventing the wheel with what he's saying though......eat whatever you want but in smaller portions and stay active
9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Burrows MAC TourBounce
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

#12 feedlotdoc

feedlotdoc

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86388
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Getting back after it myself now.  I have done the Low Carb many times, thinking about doing it again to drop a quick 15lbs.  Biggest thing is to exercise, IMO.  I will be getting off my a$$ at half time to go ride the bike tonight.  Tomorrow I have an office day and plan on setting out a 30 day work out plan.  Good luck to all!!

#13 chiva

chiva

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176280
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

The fact of the matter is that if you want to loose weight, you will at times be hungry. I will be unpleasant. Having a heart attack and dying would be more unpleasant. Choose which you would prefer:)
Yea, I play blades cause
I like to work the ball

#14 Eag1e

Eag1e

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94910
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

bodybuilding.com is basically a mega resource for weight loss (as well as lean weight gain). Don't look at the name and think of Planet Fitness commercials - no bodybuilders are remotely like that in real life, and the site's dedicated to building a healthy body in general, not solely professional-goal bodybuilding.

If you don't feel like reading to maximize your future, lift weights a few times a week doing a full body workout based around compounds - squats, stiff-legged deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, overhand pullups, curls, and something for calves. You can fit the entire thing in to about 40 minutes. Do half an hour of cardio twice a week to complement it. Bring your protein intake to at least 100g/day, preferably a bit higher, and just make sure you're eating less calories than you're taking in. Try to lose 1-2 pounds a week, if you don't see the scale going down each week then eat a little less.

#15 BigD

BigD

Advanced

• 271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

It's not a scam.  However....It is a complete waste of a lot of money.  Most of the advise that is in this thread will serve you better than shelling out hundreds to listen to his seminar and obtain the info he is selling.

#16 bober74

bober74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 297395
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

Recently had a very bad experience with Larry Jacobs and searched for his name and scam and up comes this forum topic about him.

So in response to the original posters question...is Larry Jacobs a scam.  Yes he is.  Stay well away from him and his product.

Bob

#17 dhogan13

dhogan13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251506
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

diet can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Find a macronutrient split that works for you, like for me I'm an endomorph so I hold more fat around the trouble areas, so high carb diets don't really work for me, so I adopt something of a 40/40/20 protein/carb/fat approach to my diet.   keep a food journal for just one week. then analyze the calories and macro split, this IS your body's maintenance level, alot of people throw 2000/2500 calories out there but the truth is no one approach is right for everyone. If you are not gaining an abnormal amount of weight and your weight typically stays within 5 pounds either side of your weight then your body has adjusted its base maintenance to whatever calories you are injesting. I.E. use this number and subtract 500 calories from it and you will lose 1 pound a week. don't assume just because you are x height x weight that 2500 calories is your maintenance, it might be 3000 or 2000, and you cant just drop the calories by more than 500 overnight or you're really doing more of a crash diet which has more repercussions than a regular diet.

I wrote this really fast, if anyone would like me to expand or explain anything better I'm all ears, and this is just one mans opinion after reading lots of diet/weightlifting/cardio/nutrition theories

#18 drudixon

drudixon

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248197
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

PM me and you can have a coach for free. It's not a quick fix and it's you doing the work,  but I'm glad to help. It's all very simple things that can go a long way. It's not bro science,  just pubmed and nearly 5 years of constant passion for fitness. You don't need supplements and pills,  just willpower.

#19 drudixon

drudixon

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248197
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostEag1e, on 08 January 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

bodybuilding.com is basically a mega resource for weight loss (as well as lean weight gain). Don't look at the name and think of Planet Fitness commercials - no bodybuilders are remotely like that in real life, and the site's dedicated to building a healthy body in general, not solely professional-goal bodybuilding.

If you don't feel like reading to maximize your future, lift weights a few times a week doing a full body workout based around compounds - squats, stiff-legged deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, overhand pullups, curls, and something for calves. You can fit the entire thing in to about 40 minutes. Do half an hour of cardio twice a week to complement it. Bring your protein intake to at least 100g/day, preferably a bit higher, and just make sure you're eating less calories than you're taking in. Try to lose 1-2 pounds a week, if you don't see the scale going down each week then eat a little less.

Learned almost everything I know in the over 35 section there.  I can be found there by the same name. The site changed my life in many ways. Great knowledgeable posters there.

#20 bamaslammer

bamaslammer

Rammer jammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265056
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:30 AM

BB is a good site but hard to navigate through all the bro bs and unfounded claims on there.

Bstone J38 VC 8.2X speeder
TM stage 2 tour 3 G70X
TM tour 2h 904hbX
TM J Rose combo irons X100
Callaway jaws cc
Nike method midnight 007

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 goobers80

goobers80

gooberSammy - I have Autism

• 1,512 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168463
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:goobies2007
GolfWRX Likes : 853

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

View PostThrillhouse, on 07 January 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

I am also a tubby schlub, but I know a lot of it is by choice. I know that I would knock off my belly if I ate less calories than I exerted and did 30 minutes of vigorous exercise every day.

Neither you not I need a website or a diet, we just need to make better choices.

I woulds say this is all there is to it. Eating healthy ands just moving , walking , whatevers really. Most peoples cannots even come close to guessing my weight , because my mom's side all haves bigger bones. Plus the muscle i haves. Some peoples eat well ands exercise but are chubby through their make up. I woulds see a nutritionist befores paying for somethings on-line or off television.

I used to haves eating disorders , but i realised how stupid they were. I rather be a size 8 with muscles , thans a size 4 barely alive.
Be Yourself Always
TaylorMade SLDR 9.5* , 3 wood , hybrid
13* 712u , SpeedBlade 3 & 4 irons
TaylorMade TP CB 5-AW
TaylorMade Tour Preferred 58* ATV wedge
Yes! Callie , Cleveland Classic #1
WITB Link

#22 rainkingjr

rainkingjr

Major Winner

• 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52783
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:06 AM

I dropped 33lbs last year. I'm 5 9 and went from 196 all the way down to 163. I have gained back only a couple of pounds by allowing myself some luxuries over the holiday season, but I never let things get out of hand. I now maintain my weight between 165-170, but plan on getting down to 160 this summer. I followed Jorge Cruzes 100 plan. It's basically another low carb diet, but the guy backs his system up with sound explanations. In a nutshell,he strongly believes keeping insulin spikes in check. Some of the same theories we have heard before, but I really related to his explanations. His system allows you 100 sugars calories per days. Take your carbs and multiply by 4 to get your sugar calories number. He does provide a list of what are considered free foods. Once you lose what you want, you can increase your daily sugar calories intake to 300 and still lose weight but at a much slower rate. It worked great for me. The bottom line for me is detoxification from carb addiction. I still eat some carbs. I just choose wisely and refuse to allow myself to become addicted again.

#23 minteq

minteq

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15455
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

I lost 90lbs in the last 14 months, the biggest item was water and exercise.  I have up pop, fruit juices, etc.  I also bought an exercise bike and ride it every night.  For me, I keep eating, but made smarter choices, limited fast food, no French fries, kept the bread minimal.

You really don't need a diet plan, just make better choices, and drink a ton of water.  Since I lost the weight, I walk when I play now, I feel so much better.  Good luck.
Nike Covert Tour 2.0 Proj X Black 6.0
Nike Covert Tour 2.0 3wd KK Silver TiNi
Titleist 712U 3 TTXP95s
Nike Covert Forged 2.0 4-pw NS950gh S
Nike Method 003
Nike 52/56/60 X3X

#24 PingEye2

PingEye2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6898
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

Is their a diet for someone who enjoys drinking a couple of good craft beers daily. I need that plan!

#25 golfcarte

golfcarte

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102511
GolfWRX Likes : 397

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

well, i'm one of the ones that, after being inundated by the thin golfer commercials on sirius, decided to say what the heck, give it a try, and plunked down the $400 to enter the program. this was well over a year ago. thinking as a result of the monetary investment, there would be no way i wouldn't finish and/or stay on the program, after a few weeks, i gave up.

here i am again, revisiting the program after a visit to the dietician, running by her some of the ideas and foods used in the program, and she was pretty much in whole-hearted agreement. she said go for it, especially with the money being invested involved. and the nice thing is, all the resources that were there when i started the program, are still there.

the only thing i think is a bit suspicious is the way they arrive at the price, making you think you are saving a bunch of money, when in fact, you are probably getting exactly what you are paying for, nothing more. but i'm ok with that.

Also tagged with weight loss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors