Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Making a lifestyle change and need some help...

38 replies to this topic

#1 Olson12

Olson12

#TeamJetSpeed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116028
  • Handicap:2.9
  • Ebay ID:blakewolson12
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

So a little bit of background on myself...

My name is Blake, and I am 24 years old.  Over the last 6+ years I have gained a tremendous amount of weight increasing my body size by about 35%.  Growing up I was a very athletic kid playing baseball at a very young age and all the way through college.  Once I finished playing my physical activity nearly stopped completely.  I had my son and began working in an office.  Sitting down all day and doing nothing, going home and doing nothing, I became a very lazy individual.  My son is now 5 years old and is starting to play baseball, karate, swimming, etc. etc. and I am having a hard time keeping up.  

I have let my weight spiral out of control over the last few years and I have tried a few times to loose weight with gimmicky products like HTC diet, the Dr. Segal cookie thing, and some of them worked slightly but once the program was over I just went back to the way I was before.  I realized I need to make a LIFESTYLE change.  So here I am reaching out to my GolfWRX brotherhood seeking help.

My biggest hurdle is IGNORANCE.  I have been eating terribly for such a long period I have forgotten what food is good for me.  I need some sort of meal plan help.  I know there are services out there like Medifast, Jenni Craig, blah blah but they cost a small fortune.  I just need some help developing good habits and making the right decisions in order to get started.

Is there anyone out there that has experience with meal planning?  I would greatly appreciate any and all help.  

Thank you for your time.

-Blake

Edited by Olson12, 07 January 2013 - 11:24 AM.

G30 9* 44.5"  Ping tour 60x
G30 14.5*  42.5"  Ping tour 80x
Adams Super LS 19* Hybrid Kurokage X
S55 4- PW
Glide SS 52*
Glide TS 58*
Putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 847

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I have zero expertise in this field but...

Eat three meals per day and don't snack.
Drink water, not soda or any sweetened beverage.
Eat vegetables.
Don't eat fast food.
Exercise for thirty minutes to an hour per day.

You'll get healthier very quickly. Blows my mind how many diet drugs or gimmicky weight loss plans there are out there. Losing fat takes one equation- calories taken in must be less than calories burned.

If you really want to get healthy, cut way down on red meat and eat a lot of chicken and fish.

You owe me thousands for this ground breaking nutritional advice... :-)

#3 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138522
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I've had success with the Paleo diet... basically cutting as many carbs as possible out of the diet. I think it works mostly because you cut out all the random bullxxxx crap you might find youself eating in a day.

If you can stick to a basic mealplan, my day looks like this:

Protein Shake for breakfast... (some people have gripes with whey protein, I don't think it's bad.)
Carbmaster Yogurt (it's a Kroger brand thing, basically it's got like 4g of carbs)
Frozen blueberries
1 scoop of whey
Almond Milk

Salad for lunch

Protein + Veggies for dinner (Chicken and broccoli... Fajitas without the tortilla...)

Snacks are nuts, cheeses, veggies or beef jerky.

I feel healthier when I'm on it and need to get back 100% into it... add in some time in the gym and it's great overall for me.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ if you want more info.

#4 Olson12

Olson12

#TeamJetSpeed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116028
  • Handicap:2.9
  • Ebay ID:blakewolson12
GolfWRX Likes : 144

• Purple Star