Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The Colonel's Blue Goose

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87562
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

When my Grandfather passed in 2003, I inherited his putters - a Ping Pal 2 stainless, and a Ray Cook Blue Goose 1.

He was a WWII vet (fought at Monte Cassino in the 24th Battalion) and won a Miltary Medal for bravery. He was an avid golfer and was affectionately known as "Colonel" to close family.

I have recently put the BG1 into play and loved it immediately. It was already in great condition (he bought it in the early nineties) so I decided to personalise it in his memory.

I de-badged the back cover, stamped it with his shortened nickname, and cut some thin stainless steel I had lying around to jam fit in the cavity as two military bars. I scruffed the bars up with some coarse paper to give a used look.

I put a Winn PCL triple line grip on, which is fantastic.

Just wanted to share.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0073.JPG
  • DSCF0070.JPG
  • DSCF0071.JPG
  • DSCF0072.JPG
  • DSCF0069.JPG

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Moss Boss/Turf Smurf

Moss Boss/Turf Smurf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207605
  • Ebay ID:Osborne5pam
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostBushwhacker, on 06 January 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

When my Grandfather passed in 2003, I inherited his putters - a Ping Pal 2 stainless, and a Ray Cook Blue Goose 1.

He was a WWII vet (fought at Monte Cassino in the 24th Battalion) and won a Miltary Medal for bravery. He was an avid golfer and was affectionately known as "Colonel" to close family.

I have recently put the BG1 into play and loved it immediately. It was already in great condition (he bought it in the early nineties) so I decided to personalise it in his memory.

I de-badged the back cover, stamped it with his shortened nickname, and cut some thin stainless steel I had lying around to jam fit in the cavity as two military bars. I scruffed the bars up with some coarse paper to give a used look.

I put a Winn PCL triple line grip on, which is fantastic.

Just wanted to share.

That's really cool!!

#3 samlax13

samlax13

nclax01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121756
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

A huge salute to your Grandfather, and one to you for honoring him in such a manner.
910 D2 8.5*
RBZ Stage 2 15*
910h 19*
Cleveland CG16 Tour (3-PW)
White Ice Rossie
Vokey SM4 (52, 56)

#4 Ness

Ness

@TC_Barr

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,980 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15187
GolfWRX Likes : 287

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing and enjoy that flat stick.
Ping G30
Titleist 913 F
Titleist 913 H
Titleist 714 CB
Titleist SM4 52, 58
Ping Ketsch
WITB Link

#5 Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87562
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

When I took the Ray Cook emblem out - it was a piece of logoed lead tape with a clear plastic cover - weighing about 2.6 grams...

The 'military' bars only weigh 1.2 grams - either way too little difference for me to discern!

I might paintfill the sightline silver and engrave the "COL." deeper and do the same. Silver on Blue steel looks great. I just love the stepless shaft - very clean with half a shaft offset into the flared neck.

I'm not sure what the early BG1's head weight is, but it must be 350 plus based on feel compared to my other putters. I might polish up the Ping Pal 2 and a Titleist Pt 15  (TW spec) and put them in a display case. The Ping is so light compared to the BG.

#6 narcteryx

narcteryx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124024
  • Ebay ID:narcteryx
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

That turned out great! What a great way to honor your Grandfather.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors