Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Video Camera Tech Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DaveLeeNC

DaveLeeNC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54590
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

I recently purchased a used digital video camera (Casio FH100). It is working fine (after two range sessions) with one exception. About 1/3rd of the time the camera will suddenly drop a bunch of frames (I am typically using 120 fps, although the camera will go higher). It is almost always a bunch of frames in the downswing between the club pointed away from the target and impact (lots of motion there, so more data must be processed).

I am guessing that this is a speed issue between the camera and the SDHC card. The card that came with the camera is a class 4 card (on the slow side for sure). I have reformatted the card just in case, but have not been able to try it again since then.

Is the speed of the card  the most likely issue here? I have little to no experience with this technology, so don't know a lot. The  manual for this camera recommends the 'use of an Ulta High Speed Type SD memory card', but I'm not sure if they are referring just to Class 10 or one of the newer higher speed interfaces (probably not since this camera was released 3 years ago).

I'm just checking here before I go spend a dozen golf balls worth of money on a better SD card.

Thanks.

dave

ps. I did not put this in the 'Casio thread' because I don't think that this is a Casio specific issue (but I could be wrong here).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostDaveLeeNC, on 06 January 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

I recently purchased a used digital video camera (Casio FH100).
Me too !  I gotta go pick it up :)

ps. I did not put this in the 'Casio thread' because I don't think that this is a Casio specific issue (but I could be wrong here).
repost in Casio thread. :)  So Chas sees it !
It's definitely the card.
I'd get a Class 10 ... might help with the speed of trimming video on the camera ... etc.
Is this your first Casio ?
The best part of the Casios are checking out the video on the camera.  The editing tools are quite good.

#3 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 713

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Yes, you need at least a class 6 card.

#4 Chas Tennis

Chas Tennis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117965
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

1)  Playback Problem - Computer Speed -  It takes a reasonably fast computer to display some videos so check the computer speed requirement in the Casio manual especially if you have an older computer.  If too slow it plays well for a few seconds and then the CPU is not able to keep up.  It then freezes and skips.

Probably if you play low resolution high speed videos and do stop action the CPU will keep up.  

Even with my old, slow (533 Mhz) computer I could play 240 fps low resolution videos with no freezing or skipping. However, I could not play HD video with my old computer.

2) Recording Problem - SD Card - Here is my experience with recording short duration 240 fps videos with various SD cards in the FH100.   See the last reply for the only SD card failure that I saw.

http://forums.dprevi...s/post/41185857

Recommend getting a class 10 card, especially as they are not expensive.   Other nominally 'slower' ones might also work(?).

[ Speculation on Video Compression & SD Card Speed - One issue that I don't understand is the effect of camera motion on the size of the video file.  I believe that video compression is used in the camera. I guess the degree of compression would affect the size of the recorded video file and the SD card speed required to record it.??  The camera may move if hand held and affect the video compression.  Recording with a tripod might allow the compression to work better and reduce the size of the video files.  I'd like to find some information on this issue. ]

Quicktime works well to do stop action.  Kinovea is very good also with much more capability for sports analysis.  Both are free.

Edited by Chas Tennis, 06 January 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#5 DaveLeeNC

DaveLeeNC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the comments/input. I just needed some confirmation before I spent money on the problem.

I will say that the ability to easily (almost instantly) view a swing 'on the range' is a HUGE thing. From what I can sense so far this could be a game changer (if I use it efficiently).

dave

#6 DaveLeeNC

DaveLeeNC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Chas, thanks for the link to the DPR resource - very useful.

I am going to start with a better SD card as this issue is undeniably what the camera is (or is not) catching. I see the same skips when viewing on the camera as I do with cSwing or any other video player on my (relatively recent) Dell laptop.

dave

Edited by DaveLeeNC, 07 January 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#7 DaveLeeNC

DaveLeeNC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

For the record I bought a SanDisk Class 10 SDHC card (from Walmart of all places). Based on the capture of 10 or so swing sequences at the range yesterday, the dropped frames issue is completely gone.

dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors