Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Classic Spalding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vintage golfer

vintage golfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150981
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'm always complaining that my thrift store excursions locate clubs that appear to have been dragged behind a pickup; however, I did score today, a set of Spalding Elite MV2s which are near identical to the Top Flites I played way back when. $10.00 for the 2 thru PW

Attached Thumbnails

• vage1 002.JPG

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Shallowface

Shallowface

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16569
GolfWRX Likes : 120

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

View Postvintage golfer, on 04 January 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

I'm always complaining that my thrift store excursions locate clubs that appear to have been dragged behind a pickup; however, I did score today, a set of Spalding Elite MV2s which are near identical to the Top Flites I played way back when. $10.00 for the 2 thru PW

Nice find!

I remember the advertising for those clubs.  It went something like, "the guys who play Spalding Elites aren't looking around for another set of clubs."  One of the best players I ever got paired with as a kid back in the 70s played those.  He was quite a bit older than me, and he really knew what he was doing.  A pleasure to watch.

These Elites are forged stainless, but they are chrome plated over the stainless.  Spalding did a lot of that in the late 60s and 70s.  The Top Flite Legacy of the mid 70s, a favorite of mine, was a stainless club (cast) that was plated.  The Elite Plus of the late 70s was a chrome plated stainless casting (made my first hole in one with an "11 Iron" 54 degree wedge from that model). H&B did some of it as well (heads were stamped "Stainless + DeLux"). Not sure why they felt like they had to chrome plate stainless steel. Maybe to achieve a certain kind of finish?

Edited by Shallowface, 05 January 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#3 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

Bella Woods

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99799
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Spalding made a lot of very nice woods and irons over a very long period of time. Some of their 1950s woods
were top notch clubs and very popular. To bad management decisions diluted their image and products in the end.

With regard to H&B Chrome plating stainless steel heads, I think it really kind of started for PowerBilt in the
early 1960s with the Levelume process (although this was done to carbon steel heads). The Stainless DeLux process
Shallowface refers to was the same type of process applied to stainless steel iron heads, starting in the late 1960s.

Both refer to applying a high nickel content chrome to the head - for the same purpose I think - to resist
nicking, scratching, corrosion & pitting of the iron head. Of course it also gives the company something new and
improved to pitch to the buying public.

I'm sure Spalding was doing it for the same reason.

#4 gone_golfing

gone_golfing

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16358
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Great deal on the Elite MV2s- Beautiful set of irons.

I remember seeing a picture of George Knudsons Spalding MV2s- which he played in the late sixties early seventies.

#5 Nspiel58

Nspiel58

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52767
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I've got the same set, 3-PW.  It's great you have a 2.  Nice find.

#6 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116695
  • Ebay ID:elkhartmarbles
GolfWRX Likes : 248

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

I have a ton of good spalding clubs from the Niles, mich hoard I bought in October. Most look too good to dump. But they are an unknown quantity to me. Any suggestions ? Lots of Top Flites synchro dyne and tournament model irons and nice persimmon woods. Wright and Ditsons as well  (owned by spalding)
Any spalding fans with a truck can come and take all you want for a buck apiece. I am about 15 miles from Notre Dame..(.that's where there used to be a #1ranked football team.)
Sorry if I horned in on your string. But I thought this would be a great place to offer them.
Just PM me.
Uncle bob

#7 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
  • Ebay ID:persimmblade
GolfWRX Likes : 287

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostIronmaster Oddities, on 09 January 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

I have a ton of good spalding clubs from the Niles, mich hoard I bought in October. Most look too good to dump. But they are an unknown quantity to me. Any suggestions ? Lots of Top Flites synchro dyne and tournament model irons and nice persimmon woods. Wright and Ditsons as well  (owned by spalding)
Any spalding fans with a truck can come and take all you want for a buck apiece. I am about 15 miles from Notre Dame..(.that's where there used to be a #1ranked football team.)
Sorry if I horned in on your string. But I thought this would be a great place to offer them.
Just PM me.
Uncle bob

You might want to contact John(Lagpressure) Erickson at AdvancedBall striking, I sent him a bunch of Spaldings woods and he is a fan of older Spaldings, he uses those clubs for himself and his students.

#8 Nspiel58

Nspiel58

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52767
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Here are some photos of my MV2s (3 & 6).  I had these packed away and decided to have a look at them again because of the OP.  I hadn't realized how sharp they looked, literally.  These irons really remind me of a knife, with the narrow top-line, no offset and general design - a golf weapon.  So simple, beautiful and deadly.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors