Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

CrossFit .. anyone else out there?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 enis750

enis750

It's October - Pumpkin Link

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105306
  • Handicap:2
  • Ebay ID:enis750
GolfWRX Likes : 359

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

SO last season I ended up getting 60+ rounds in from March 29-Aug. 11
for me, that was pretty good...and I basically practiced every day I didnt play
one of my better seaons I would say .. but It burnt me out HARD
I was DONE by mid August, just coulnt even bring myself to go to the course anymore

So, usually i migrate to the gym and do the usual .. you know chest/back, bi's/tri's etc etc..
until i discovered CrossFit
I started it in the 3rd week of Aug and have going RELIGIOUSLY since
I could go ON & On about how its changed my life to this point .. but maybe Ill save that and see if anyone else chimes in on this thread
I cant WAIT until I hit the course this season

I am leaner, stronger and way faster then I was last summer
I played over Christmas and noticed I was hitting it further and it was easier to get to certain positions
wasnt sore or tired in any way shape or form .. and i havent swung a club since Aug.
oh and I shot 75 w rentals!! LOL!
I noticed on the LM as well trying out some new gear, I picked up quite a few mph since last year

Just wanted to see if anyone else on this board has drank the CrossFit KOOL AIDE and how it has changed your game
If you havent ... well its time
You think golf / HO'ing clubs is addicting ... IMO it doesnt even compare

Edited by sdubbs, 04 January 2013 - 03:25 PM.

Fall / Winter Signature ... is a Mess

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 torrejuan

torrejuan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1203
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

I like it, but haven't tried it. I have tried kettelbell workouts and I can see how the addiction could happen. Wish I could afford it more.

#3 CAT GOLFER

CAT GOLFER

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106437
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

My goal is to incorporate 2-3 crossfit WODs into my weekly routine.  As yourself, I drank the kool aid late last year and have beend waiting for a calmer time to start it up regularly.

#4 JPGolf FL

JPGolf FL

Once won a charity scramble.....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192708
GolfWRX Likes : 492

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Explain cross fit?

#5 Steve Meyers

Steve Meyers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216295
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Crossfit and back injuries go together like (insert your favorite simile here).  You've been warned.

#6 KDMullins

KDMullins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17765
  • Ebay ID:uklawdawg
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

View PostSteve Meyers, on 04 January 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Crossfit and back injuries go together like (insert your favorite simile here).  You've been warned.

Yeah, I think most guys like the idea of Crossfit.  It's got kind of got a Rocky training in Russia vibe to it.  That said, I've read articles about injuries (particularly back injuries) because of the accepted idea that you can "cheat" and reps take precedence over form.  I'm not a Crossfit guy, but I understand that thought process is encouraged, and they even teach you ways to effectively cheat.

Again, I'm not a Crossfit guy.  I read this from a pretty in-depth article on the subject a year or so ago.

#7 enis750

enis750

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

View Postthesponge, on 04 January 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Explain cross fit?

Im on my phone right now, ill post you some videos later

View PostKDMullins, on 04 January 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Yeah, I think most guys like the idea of Crossfit.  It's got kind of got a Rocky training in Russia vibe to it.  That said, I've read articles about injuries (particularly back injuries) because of the accepted idea that you can "cheat" and reps take precedence over form.  I'm not a Crossfit guy, but I understand that thought process is encouraged, and they even teach you ways to effectively cheat.

Again, I'm not a Crossfit guy.  I read this from a pretty in-depth article on the subject a year or so ago.

Sorry but this coming from a couple guys who have never done it ... Pretty nieve thing to say
CrossFit is defined as constantly varied functional movements performed at high intense levels
AKA- pushing your body to and sometimes past ur limits - IN A SAFE MATTER AND FORM

CrossFit coaches are certified, trained and educated for all the movements
Which include power lifting, olympic weight lifting, gymnastics, kettlebell and plymetrics

I find that anyone who "reads about it" and doesnt actually try it.... Has nothing good to say, mostly because they are either....
1. Lazy 2. Misinformed 3. Uneducated on the sport

CrossFit itself has become a sport
And yes, sometimes you get injured.... Injuries happen in EVERY SINGLE SPORT... Even golf
But its certainly NOT because movements are taught in a manner that allows you to "cheat"
The movements are taught in an efficient way... Because there are usually many reps involved

Ill post more later when im back on my laptop, w video as well

#8 irishiain

irishiain

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55014
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Crossfit gyms can be hit and miss in terms of quality of instruction. Be very careful, like others have said you've been warned.

#9 KDMullins

KDMullins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17765
  • Ebay ID:uklawdawg
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

View Postsdubbs, on 04 January 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Sorry but this coming from a couple guys who have never done it ... Pretty nieve thing to say
CrossFit is defined as constantly varied functional movements performed at high intense levels
AKA- pushing your body to and sometimes past ur limits - IN A SAFE MATTER AND FORM

Which include power lifting, olympic weight lifting, gymnastics, kettlebell and plymetrics

I find that anyone who "reads about it" and doesnt actually try it.... Has nothing good to say, mostly because they are either....

And yes, sometimes you get injured.... Injuries happen in EVERY SINGLE SPORT... Even golf
But its certainly NOT because movements are taught in a manner that allows you to "cheat"
The movements are taught in an efficient way... Because there are usually many reps involved

Just telling you what I read from a guy that had done quite a bit of research on the topic.  I've got buddies that swear by it, and it's obviously popular...like anything else, I'm sure there are all kinds of opinions out there.

#10 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 373

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostKDMullins, on 04 January 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

View Postsdubbs, on 04 January 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Just telling you what I read from a guy that had done quite a bit of research on the topic.  I've got buddies that swear by it, and it's obviously popular...like anything else, I'm sure there are all kinds of opinions out there.
A word to the wise.Aboutt 10 years i was in a rush  to finish my workout.I was doing some dead lifts  stupidly  arched my back and fell on the floor .i felt as if someone had slashed me on my back with a sword.Nobody else was home .It took me 10 minutes to crawl over to some stairs and another 10 minutes to sit on those stairs.I eventually was able to drag myself upstairs and get into bed..I was much better after a couple of days and completely recovered within a week.NEVER ,NEVER SACRIFICE FORM .You may get way with it  but eventually it is going to catch up with you.I am not applying this to Crossfit per se ,but any type of workout

Edited by russc, 04 January 2013 - 08:31 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 moonshine

moonshine

The Trace!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Just youtube it, then the cat is out of the bag for those who are in the dark.

#12 magsgolfho

magsgolfho

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37161
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I have been doing Crossfit for four years. I will say it has improved my overall strength and conditioning. As for the cf haters every gym is different and so are the coaches. There are good coaches great coaches and really sucky coaches. Educate yourself is all I can say about that.
As far as golf. For me being in my forties I felt it actually hurt my game. I would wod in the morning and by the time for my after work rounds I had nothing left. Also on days after longer/ intense metcons like say 100 pull-ups for example I could not even lift or swing properly. Could all be a factor of age but I have learned to just ease back during golf season

#13 Steve Meyers

Steve Meyers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216295
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

My sister-in-law competes in the "world championships" and helps run her own gym.  I know far more about Crossfit than you do, Sdubbs.  I know many many many people who work in the PT field and they are very thankful for Crossfit, because they are a disproportionately large portion of their client base.  I'm not saying everybody gets hurt, but if you're doing it seriously, you have a much greater chance of missing out on some time with the golf club than if you don't.

#14 SpenceT47

SpenceT47

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121902
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

With Crossfit, good instructors will tell you how to "help" a move, not cheat using bad form. An example is a Kipling pull-up-it's not going to hurt you, but it helps finish in less time. I don't do Crossfit per se, but I have always done Olympic lifting. I say whatever gets you to the gym and keeps you there. As for golf, Crossfit is very sequence-glute first, so most guys could see more power (with a decent swing).
Research the Crossfit gyms. Bad gyms can get your effed up pretty quickly.

#15 T-Bone84

T-Bone84

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116438
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

View Postirishiain, on 04 January 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Crossfit gyms can be hit and miss in terms of quality of instruction. Be very careful, like others have said you've been warned.

This.  I am currently healing from a back injury induced by CrossFit.

This isn't an indictment on all of CrossFit but if you choose to do it you need to be careful on the box/trainers you choose.  The box i joined had a different trainer for every class with little to no communication on programming from one class to the next.  

It's key for them to evaluate your fitness level and scale accordingly and not just go for reps, reps, reps.

I've been around CrossFit for a few years, my best friend runs a different box and competes, it can be great but it can be dangerous for golfers.

#16 SoCalTitleist

SoCalTitleist

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64113
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 132

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Crossfit gym memberships are very expensive like $100-150 a month.

#17 SPARKP

SPARKP

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 145339
  • Ebay ID:SPARKP
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I do the Crossfit Football and love it. Have been doing it for 2 years now and the workouts are great, consistently changing. I don't belong to a crossfit gym as I just take the workouts off the website every week and do them at my gym. I belong to 24 hr fitness and LA Fitness. There are times when I have to improvise but it's no big deal.

As with any workout program if you don't use good form you run the risk of injury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Driver: Callaway RFE | GD AD DI6
3wd: Adams Tight Lies 14* | Bassara
Hybrid: Adams Pro A12 | VTS Silver
Adams Pro A12 3 - GW | KBS Tour
Wedge: Vokey 58*- 06
Putter: Rife 2 - Bar

#18 bobfoster

bobfoster

Best Sport on Earth. Ever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104921
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Crossfit: "Like a cult, but without the creepy leaders" hahahahaha.

I've been doing it for close to a year (one of my employees got me into it). First time I went ... after the first 20 minutes (just the warm-up) I threw up and almost passed out. At this point, I'm addicted. It is intense, but I feel like I'm in better shape in my mid 50s than I was in my mid 20s.

#19 RBImGuy

RBImGuy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30615
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostSoCalTitleist, on 05 January 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

good trainers focus on technique doing things properly not causing injury comes with some cost.
quality trainers are important.
then you can build your own crossfit gym at home and do it there.

I work out at my home doing the level I can.
I only hit it straight
Feeling of Greatness
More of the same

#20 T-Bone84

T-Bone84

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116438
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostSoCalTitleist, on 05 January 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

On the low end.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 enis750

enis750

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

yes I do agree that the value of trainers from box to box can vary
good thing is that there are lots of boxes open, so if you dont like one you can move to another

I have been fortunate enough to have a great box and even better coaches
yes it can be a tad expensive, but can you put a price on good health?

im sorry, but doing the daily grind at the gym doing tricep kick backs, arm curls & running to "get ripped" , has no relevance to your daily life

as promised heres a couple videos for you
you tube more if you like:

i really wasnt planning on this thread going the way it was (which isnt a surprize these days on here)

i was just simply asking if there was anyone else who was into it and how it has helped your game
if the haters wanna keep posting, ill just shut it down

thanks to those that have contributed so far

#22 Jon Robert

Jon Robert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163937
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

View Postthesponge, on 04 January 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Explain cross fit?
"i was just simply asking if there was anyone else who was into it and how it has helped your game
if the haters wanna keep posting, ill just shut it down"

Why so testy? No reason to get mad at people who don't think it that great for golf.

There is nothing hateful in the following.  It is basically a cardio routine that uses weight lifting/gymnast type stuff as its main theme. CrossFit is great for joiners, flockers or gym rats.  People can and have done everything in the program and have never heard of or done "CrossFit"  It can be very intense and demanding. Therefore those "haters" who warned are correct.  It grew legs because it does have a great deal of attractive elements.  

For those that are not joiners, flockers and gym rats they can (and do) pretty much everything in the program at home. I would say every gymnast has basically done "CrossFit" Each person can scale it to their interests or needs. I make my own routines and consult CrossFit for ideas

If you want to look like a gymnast then it is perfect. CrossFit is not in my opinion that great for golf.  But obviously getting in shape is not bad.  But I don't think the gymnast physique is the best for golf.  On the other hand genetically very few would get the physique anyway.

There is nothing “wrong” with CrossFit.

Edited by Jon Robert, 05 January 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#23 RBImGuy

RBImGuy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30615
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

crossfit is an approach to be able to do a crosslevel of work meaning even golf.
once the system is loaded to do cross contextual work it will benefit golfers also.
you build responsepotential into the system so your ready to do anything and handle it even golf.
naturally you can go overboard with and bulk and become stiff etc..with good care and planning that wont happen.
I only hit it straight
Feeling of Greatness
More of the same

#24 Tmiller72

Tmiller72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30047
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

The place I do it at offers a Crossfit fundamentals class.  It's basically Crossfit For Beginners.  They teach you the moves and various workouts, then incorporate that into a workout.  It's a great way to "ease" into the full classes.  Form is more important than reps.  The instructors are constantly critiquing form to make sure we don't get hurt.  Whoever said they let you cheat to get more reps in is dead wrong.  Or he/she went to a horrible gym.

#25 kylebray

kylebray

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 213059
  • Ebay ID:0421kylebray
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

to get back to the OP's question, yes it did change my game. i left golf for a few years and came back to it after WODing for 2 years. difference is night and day, so much more power and alot more stable. i was already fit, now im strong. WODing before golf doesnt work for me at all, and for all the guys that read alot about the negative side, yes injuries do happen. but with a good coach, consistent training and most importantly patience it will change just about everything.

#26 Poser

Poser

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144057
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

I have a few friends who do it.  Alot of them have had injuries because they do cheat reps or whateve ryouw ant to call it.  I've been to a couple open sessions and people throw their bodies around trying to do one more pullup or lift and I just cringe.  Another thing that turned me off is it's like a cult.  These guys spend insane amount of money per month then have to get the shoes, outfits, supplements, and whatever else.  It's like scientology for working out.  For me when I travel I do alot of p90x / HIT workouts since the gyms usually have a pull up bar and some free weights.  most of what they do there can be done at home anyways and save alot of your monthly dues.

Edited by Cartrydge , 14 May 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#27 27x10.5

27x10.5

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45548
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

I know way too many people getting injured by doing it improperly...probably not the best idea for golf since the slightest injury anywhere on the body can ruin your game.

#28 TheCityGame

TheCityGame

Chicks dig the bucket hat.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122960
GolfWRX Likes : 1412

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

I bet I know what would help your golf game. . .take the $250 a month you're spending on Cross Fit, and spend it on instruction and range balls.

Crossfit. . .I like their philosophy of fitness compared to most trainers out there, but the implementation. . .I don't get it. I belong to a gym where I can do box jumps, snatches (k-bells and barbells), jerks, cleans, rings, kips/pull-ups, rows, reverse hypers, and I pay $40 a month and don't have to do it on someone else's schedule.

You don't need cross fit to tell you not to spend 15 minutes of your work out on 4 inches worth of muscle doing bi's and tri's. .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors