Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Have you thought about quitting golf?

41 replies to this topic

#1 j_moo

j_moo

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107214
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I'm sure most golfer has had the thought, especially after a particularly frustrating round.  I've certainly had my share of bad rounds, but I'm thinking about quitting because I believe my best golf is behind me.  

I've been thinking about it for about 6 months now and played gradually less during that time.  If it wasn't for the credit I have on the range card, I probably won't even hit balls at all.  Out of habit, I miss the activity.  But I'm also annoyed that I can't play any better every time I'm on the course.  Spent 25+ years playing this game and watched it peak a year ago.  I'm guessing this is what PGA pros feel like when they are deciding whether they should play the Champions tour or hang it up.

Feels like saying good bye to an old friend...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Did it.
Quit for about 5 years.
Best thing I could have done.
I now understand (and accept) my ablities.
Still have the occasional round where one would never know I had ever played the game and start talking to myself.
I enjoy the "game" now.
Whereas when I quit... I did not enjoy the frustration of imperfection.

Addendum... When I started back to playing it was left handed. My rational being; If I can't play any better left handed than I did right then I'll hang it up for good. That was 25 years ago.

Edited by esketores, 05 January 2013 - 12:12 PM.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

#3 Lefty94

Lefty94

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53667
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Yes, this year was the 1st time I seriously thought about it. This was a tough year for me. I had ZERO fun on the golf course this year. The last few years I have been getting better, especially given how little i play. All my clubs were off the rack and I had never been fitted. Last year I shot 82 three different times and was in the 80's almost everytime out. This past offseason I completely reworked my whole bag. I was fitted for clubs and got what worked for my game. Due to the mild winter and testing clubs I hit more balls than I ever hit in an offeseason. I was super confident that I would finally break 80. Let's just say that wasn't the case. I struggled to stay in the 90's most rounds. It culminated with an outing in July. Due to cancelations it was just me and another guy in an outing that got paired uyp. He was a legit 1-2 handicap. I literally played the worst golf in my life. It was the 1st time I was truly embarrassed to be on the golf course. Like 100% embarrassed for my game. I have absolutely no idea what happened. If I could have I would have walked off the course. It took me a few weeks to pick up the clubs again. FOr me I should be in the high 70's everytime out or low 80's. It's just little things and it's never the same little thing. One day I am spraying the ball everywhere off the tee, but everything else is spot on. Or I am driving the ball and hitting every fairway, and then my irons are all over the place or I can't chip or putt. It's so frustrating. It also doesn't help that my irons are 100% misses to the right bc my fade gets overcooked into a huge hook. But my woods are 100% straight left push. I can't even work on my miss bc it is different with different clubs.

I am going to take lessons this year and see where that gets me. I am kind of at a point where I need to decide if I really want to get better at golf and bust a$$ or just be a hack who shoots in the high 80's/low 90's and be content with that.....which I don't think I can.
X Hot Pro 9.5 Fubuki Alpha
X Hot 3wd 15* PX 6.0
X Hot Pro 3hy PX 6.0
'09 X Forged 4-PW PX 6.0
Scratch 8620 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Protype #2, Callaway Supersoft

#4 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1192

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

I don't applaud the notion of quitting or walking away from the game because of bad golf.  However, I applaud each of you for taking responsibility for your game; moreover not blaming golf course difficulty for your game failings, like what's proposed in another thread. :clapping:

PS: @j_moo - we all peak.  I suspect I am entering that phase now.  What I won't do is quit because the game is gradually getting more challenging for me.  Has the thought passed my mind, you bet ya.  But, my golfing wife wouldn't put up with me quitting.  It sets a bad example for our son and others that have always known me as a fighter, against all odds. :)

Edited by Pepperturbo, 04 January 2013 - 03:31 PM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX7C3 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83 x5ct
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#5 OldGolfer87

OldGolfer87

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27887
GolfWRX Likes : 227

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Yes i have given it a thought or 3 at times this year ,it was not that long ago that i was a solid 4 but in the last few years especially 2012 injuries have done havec with my swing and now i struggle to shoot 80 and at times even to make a  par ,i used to be able to walk 27 to 36 holes in a day now i can barely get through 18 without prescription medicine ,i thought i had the desire to play but sometimes i wonder where i am at with golf , i wonder if i still play because i have thousands of dollars in memberships, clubs , carts , i feel like since i have spent all this money so i should keep playing even though at times it's like banging my head against a brick wall ,its more of a headache instead of fun and there is no improvement left in sight

#6 Mountaineer

Mountaineer

APP-UH-LA-CHUN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203205
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Yup... During a frustrating/miserable/(insert negative word here) round, but then, as the round is closing and all hope seems lost, I hit a great shot that's all over the pin like a fat kid on a cupcake. Pure excellence and finesse. It keeps me coming back every time....
Titleist 905R 9.5*
Titleist 906f2 15*
Titleist 585h 21*
Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport

#7 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143353
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Every time I tee it up, but I'm a masochist and keep going back out there.

#8 rogera13

rogera13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204391
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

I have absolutely quit Golf!!!! It drives me crazy!!!! Worse part is I somehow keep ending up with another tee time! I don't get it! I quit.........what time Sunday??

#9 6thFairway

6thFairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 332

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

"I hate this game and I can't wait to play tomorrow."  -- Jeff Sluman

#10 jurr80

jurr80

Working daily towards scratch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215129
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Last year, playing on a March day (40 degrees), I chunked a 7 iron, tweaked my wrist, wondered how I'd see patients the next day, and considered never playing again.

After the wrist warmed up inside my coat, I nearly holed the long pitch shot. Game on!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Mulligan26

Mulligan26

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28075
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I took a couple years off and am now back into it full bore... The game haunts you, no one can ever truly quit.

#12 subrosa

subrosa

Better at bowling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182760
  • Ebay ID:subbyrosa
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I hung it up for a few years (maybe hitting the range once in a while just for fun), came back into things this year as my brother also got back into the game after his clubs got stolen (irony at it's finest).

I was never really good, so a couple of frustrating driving range sessions caused me to just not enjoy it anymore, but it did haunt me...and now I am back and golfing more than I ever have before (and hitting better as well).

#13 mdgboxx

mdgboxx

Put lipstick on a pig - - - it's still a pig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61336
GolfWRX Likes : 421

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

I honestly, really, really want to take a break from Golf for 2013 at least. But, since I already paid for my membership, I'll have to suffer the consequences brought about by my hasty decision.
DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg
3W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5° w/SV3005J, stf
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° w/SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW w/CFS reg @ D2
WEDGES: Ping Tour-S, 54°/10 & 60°/10
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weight

#14 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Quit golf ? No.
Quit work ? YES ! :)

#15 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

The crowd here is very biased (non-random sample).
Asking WRXers about quitting golf would be like going to a Star Trek convention and polling them if they would like to see more Star Trek movies.
:)

#16 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 730

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'm pretty sure every golf nut has vowed to quit the game.  When I was a hot head (in my early 20's) I would have bad rounds and vow to never play again.  I was out the next day - usually.  I've had times when I would stop playing for a couple of weeks due to burn out, but always played as soon as the desire came back.  Once I got past the burden of thinking I was better than I was, I enjoyed the game for what it is.
RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

#17 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 821
GolfWRX Likes : 370

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

I never wanted to quit. I briefly got into Mt Biking for a short period, so golf was put aside, but it was never an I quit moment. More of a desire to do something else that sounded more fun. I came back to golf harder than ever though.

I play with a lot of guys in their late 60s and early 70s that range from a former PGA Tour player to a University Golf coach and retired guys that just picked up the game a few years ago. They have all seen better physical days, but they still have GOALS. Learning a type of shot better, tinkering with clubs, playing club tournaments, etc. Those goals and socializing keep them in the game.
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#18 That Bob Guy

That Bob Guy

Never settle!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125497
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Quit? Not me! It's all I have left after playing virtually every other sport for the last 50 years. The body is just wore out.

#19 MCCA

MCCA

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2694
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

no

#20 gnew23

gnew23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74353
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

I have never quit, but just stopped playing while I mountain biked and played tennis.  Now I am back to golf and loving it.

Dr: SLDR 460 12* Speeder 7.2 TS Stiff
FW: Callaway Steelhead Plus 3+ Stiff
Hy: 20* i15 w/ Axivcore Red Stiff
Irons: 4-U i20 w/ Z-Z65 Stiff
Putter: Ping TR Scottsdale Grayhawk
Mizuno MP-T10 DGS300 54* & 58*

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 richard t

richard t

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85373
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

What? Is this a serious question? Quit smoking? Yes. Quit drinking? If need be. Quit almost anything. Sure. Quit golf? Yes, and they'll say he died a few days ago. As long as I can drag my dumb a** out to the first tee I can shoot 69, and I have, or 98, and I have, I ain't quitting till I die. Not a bad place to do that either. I'd love to go like Bing Crosby. Putt out, walk off the green, adios.

#22 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 3064

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Quit? No chance! I can;t imagine the idea. I have taken some time away when need be, but like give it up because I think i have gotten to my best? No chance.

OP i thought you were thinking of making a champions tour run?
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#23 BluehoseGolf

BluehoseGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211637
  • Ebay ID:saintsgolf15
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Playing golf to me is an addiction. I play tournament golf and after some bad rounds it really really bothers me.  I thought about quitting, but what I resort to is just not touching the clubs for a couple days and see how that feels.  That whole "not touching the club thing" last for about a day tops, then I want to go to the course.  The hardest thing for me to do is be my best friend on the golf course and realize that you are going to have bad rounds, tournaments, stretches...etc.  This year Im really going to try to be my best friend on the golf course.  So I would suggest if you are thinking of quitting try this.  Im really am going to try and enjoy my rounds more.

#24 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Got stopped being fun for me towards the end of hs... Became more like work and just simply frustrating.  I didn't play outside of maybe 3-4 total times in 3+ seasons.  

It was the best thing I could have done.  I came back with a totally different desire and outlook on the game.  Took just a couple of months to get back into the swing of things.
XHot 10.5 Diamana S+ 62x5ct X Stiff
Titleist 910F 19*
Titleist 712 AP2 TT S400
Titleist Vokey 200 Series 48*
Titleist Vokey SM 54*/58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - CS

#25 hdswanny

hdswanny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205135
  • Ebay ID:hdswanny2
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

I quit for about 10 yrs. The day I quit I broke one of my irons and my bag then walked off after 9 holes. I finally realized if I wasn't having fun it was foolish to play. I focused my energy to hockey. Suddenly one day 2 yrs ago I woke up with the itch to play. Last year I finally broke into the 80's a half dozen times. Prior to 2012 I've never shot a birdie, this year I'm hoping to average mid 80's after I purchase fitted clubs from Club Champion. I have high hopes for this year!

#26 Badgergolfer2

Badgergolfer2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190300
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

I used to when I was younger.  I used to get really frustrated when I had a bad round or a bad practice sessions but now that Im older and have a bit more perspective I dont anymore.  Ive gotten to the point where my bad shots dont bother me as much because I play golf for FUN, not to make a living.  Who cares if I have a bad round?  Its not as if 1 stroke is going to dictate whether or not I can afford to put food on the table.
Thats not to say that I dont care and dont want to play my best.  I simply dont let it bother me when I play poorly because golf is a hobby, not what I do to make a living.  No matter if I play good or bad, Im still going to practice just as hard and have just as much fun.

#27 Shambles

Shambles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105681
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

View Postj_moo, on 04 January 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

I'm sure most golfer has had the thought, especially after a particularly frustrating round.  I've certainly had my share of bad rounds, but I'm thinking about quitting because I believe my best golf is behind me.  

I've been thinking about it for about 6 months now and played gradually less during that time.  If it wasn't for the credit I have on the range card, I probably won't even hit balls at all.  Out of habit, I miss the activity.  But I'm also annoyed that I can't play any better every time I'm on the course.  Spent 25+ years playing this game and watched it peak a year ago.  I'm guessing this is what PGA pros feel like when they are deciding whether they should play the Champions tour or hang it up.

Feels like saying good bye to an old friend...

I've quit several times. First time it was boring and I wanted to spend my free time learning the guitar. Another time it was because I was playing in a typhoon and missed my putt on the 17th green and asked myself why I was playing in a typhoon. Last time it had become boring because I wasn't learning anything new and lost my ambitions for improving the shots I already knew. I guess I'm getting better at quitting this game. :;)

Shambles

#28 WT Door

WT Door

Advanced

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 155975
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

I have never thought about quitting because of poor play or injuries (and I've had both).

I have thought about quitting due to slow play completely removing the fun from it.

WITB Link

#29 RBImGuy

RBImGuy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30615
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

You quit once a week or else your not a true golfer. ;)

Golf instruction however tend to suck badly.
300 yard 4% dispersion
The RBIm golf swing model

#30 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 730

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostShambles, on 05 January 2013 - 04:38 AM, said:

I guess I'm getting better at quitting this game. : ;)
:cheesy: :cheesy: See, you are working on something.  There must be an art to stomping off the course, throwing your clubs into the trunk and driving off while looking dignified. :lol:

RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors