Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

3 tips to help you reach your 2013 golfing resolutions

slow motion swings exaggeration andy griffiths

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zakkozuchowski

zakkozuchowski

GolfWRX Managing Editor

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 914 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59676
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Posted Image

3 tips to help you reach your 2013 golfing resolutions
By Andy Griffiths
GolfWRX Contributor

As we move into 2013 and a new year in the life of a golfer, I hear plenty of resolutions withoutcome focused goals. In 2013 I want to:
  • "Lower my handicap by 5 shots"
  • "Break 80 for the first time"
  • "Make it onto my school/college/club team"
Resolutions can be great, but what really makes the difference is the action we take towards reaching these goals. It is admirable to dream of lowering your handicap by 5 shots, but action needs to be taken too!

So, I want to give you some more ways to make your dreams into reality.

I am sure that you have heard the quote attributed to Einstein, which describes insanity as:

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

Well, in this article I want to focus on your practice time and how to make some changes that will ultimately get you closer to achieving your golfing resolutions. Remember also, that YOU can choose to make changes whenever you want; you don’t have to wait till society decides you are allowed a "new start" in January!

The next time you are at the driving range, on your practice ground or even making swing motions inside due to adverse weather conditions; give these three tips a try, to give you extra awareness of what you are currently doing in your golf game.

Posted Image

Slow motion: When I learned how to play the drums, I found I needed to use this technique all of the time. When learning a new complex beat for example, I got the best results from slowing the beat down, often to unrecognisably slow speeds, before piecing it together and building up the speed. You will have done the same as you have acquired many life skills, yet it hasn't caught on that much in golf.

Don’t beat yourself up; the golf swing is a very complex movement; so make it easier to gain some important awareness of the club and your body, by slowing it down when hitting some practice shots. As a starter, try making a swing that lasts for 30 seconds, that’s right...30 seconds! It will be tougher than you think but correct repetitions at this pace rather than full-speed attempts are likely to give better results at changing a movement pattern.

It can’t be THAT crazy an idea if it used by former LPGA No. 1 player Ai Miyazato, and and one of the best ball strikers of all time, Ben Hogan.

()

().

“Whenever I’m working on something I always do it in slow motion," Hogan said. That way I can monitor what I’m doing.”

Exaggeration: Let’s take a common mistake that stops golfers from making solid contact with their irons. The flaw is that at impact the clubhead is often out in front of the grip, which adds loft, reduces efficiency and leaks speed and power. For those of you that struggle with this, I want you to go to the range and try to really exaggerate of all these feelings on your next shot. Try to get the grip leading the clubhead to the ball, with your arms in hands in front of the ball through the external thought of trying to start the shot as low as possible.

You may not believe me, but your golfing brain is often a lot smarter than you imagined! Just exaggerating a movement and trying to hit super-low shots with your hands way in front of the clubface gives us a heightened awareness and completely different feeling which we can then take into our practice shots. Ever see Tiger or Graeme McDowell standing on the tee exaggerating an "over the top" move to start their downswing? This is exactly what they are doing; exaggerating the move and then getting it just right when they take their real swings.

Eyes closed: One more way to give you that extra feeling of awareness is to make your swing with your eyes closed. Awareness of the clubface is something that tour players have developed through many, many hours of hitting shots, but this little tip can help you build your awareness too. Close your eyes and make a swing, stopping at impact and feeling where the clubface is. Then open your eyes and check. Use this in any area of your swing to start to develop some extra feel and awareness of the movements as an alternative to using your eyes to check.

If 2013 really is going to be different in your golfing life, these three tips are a simple way to improve your practice time, stop you being on the "insanity loop" and instead get you playing your best golf ever!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tbowles411

tbowles411

LEGS and CHEESE.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1728

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Good article.  Thanks!

#3 dale4ace

dale4ace

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107528
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Great article! Will definitely be using these tips for 2013
G25 10.5 // Anser 14.5 // i15 20 //
Anser 4-PW // Anser 52, 58 // Seemore //
WITB Link

#4 mikeh1

mikeh1

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54522
  • Handicap:10.7
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

great article, thanks!

#5 Timanator

Timanator

SFClone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71372
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Excellent article!!!

Ping Anser 9.5 Ahina 70-S
Adams Super S 2H 17 degrees, Kujoh-S
Ping I20 3-PW KBS Tour-S
Ping Tour W 52/Mizuno 56T10
Odyssey Versa 7

#6 rok78

rok78

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14484
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

OP, have you been watching me practice at home? That's exactly how I make changes. Even without going to the range at all and playing at the most 2x a month (first tee time out so no warm-up either), I was able to improve my handicap from a 5.9 to a 4.7 since the beginning of the year by utilizing the exact things in the article: slow-mo, exaggeration and eyes closed. I probably would've lowered my hdcp more if I had the damn Aimpoint lesson earlier in the year and learned how to read greens.

It also helped that I got good guidance on what to change very early in the year, thanks to a refresher lesson from Jim Waldron.
10.5* TM SLDR 460 - Ahina
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP 14 - TI DGS400

#7 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

I'll add video your swing as a tip.
Prove it to yourself on video that you are making the changes you think.

Are your hands more ahead of the ball (and clubhead) at impact ?   Let's check that video !

#8 Jimmac914

Jimmac914

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103385
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Eyes closed, great for working on the short game.

#9 BluehoseGolf

BluehoseGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211637
  • Ebay ID:saintsgolf15
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

This is a great thread, working on your swing in slow mo is excellent, just really difficult to do.  I try to do this but I have trouble doing it for longer than 30 minutes without getting anxious to hit full shots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors