Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

traditions/games/etc for a golf trip

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TNReb

TNReb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206233
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

What are some traditions to add a little fun to your guys trips?  (ex - new guy wears a bra on the outside of his clothes to dinner)

What are some games that can be played among players of all handicaps to add a little fun to the day?

Every year 8 of us take a small trip out to Myrtle Beach.  Our handicaps range from 3 to... well.. a ton.  A couple of the guys only play golf twice a year, so it's tough to keep them in a game that is competitive for everyone.  A couple of them couldn't break 110 if they had to count every stroke.  We always play wolf and do our best to give them strokes, etc to keep it somewhat fair.  

We play 36 each day - it would be nice to have a couple of contests that go over the whole round or two.. but we can't really do things like long drive or closest to the pin because some guys don't stand a chance.

I was thinking we could take a small tape measure and have a longest putt contest.. everybody throw in $5 and whoever makes the longest putt of the day gets the pot.  

Any ideas?

Edited by TNReb, 04 January 2013 - 10:20 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 sbjinx

sbjinx

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54679
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

my buddies and I do a big trip each year where we go and play for 3 days.  its a big group (at least 20+) with all different levels of players (some that play all the time to those that play once a year).  we do a practice round day 1 and rank everyone in A, B, C, D and we do a have a team draft that night.  Then we do 1 day of scramble and 1 day of best ball (we also do long drive and closest to the pin).  We also have a rule that you have to shotgun a beer on the 9 and 18 holes, and after every 5 beers, your team gets a mulligan.  We went out and bought a trophy (like a legit $400 trophy) that the winning team gets their name added to each year and we make hats/T-shirts each year.

i think if you have a wide range of players, something like a scramble or best ball is the best format and fun for everyone.  i know you dont have the # of players like we do but I think the trick is to make it official.  Like a trophy or plaque.  I think if you make it official it adds to the excitement and fun.  My friends and I do a lot of cool trips but the summer golf trip is my favorite.  Weeks leading up to it we talk a lot of trash over emails and texts and everyone gets into it, even the guys who dont play a lot.

good luck and have fun
SLDR 460 - Fujikura Pro 63x
RBZ 19* - Fujikura TS
TM TP - CB 4-5, MC 6-PW
Odyssey Versa #7 CS
SM5 52* F & 58* K
WITB Link

#3 TNReb

TNReb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

I'm doing a 20 man trip with another group... and everyone in that group is a decent golfer (everyone shoots 70s or 80s).  That trip is easier to keep interesting.

Even a scramble isn't fun for our 8 man trip because some of those guys simply wouldn't get to use their shot very often.  I guess there isn't much you can do about it...

View Postsbjinx, on 04 January 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

my buddies and I do a big trip each year where we go and play for 3 days.  its a big group (at least 20+) with all different levels of players (some that play all the time to those that play once a year).  we do a practice round day 1 and rank everyone in A, B, C, D and we do a have a team draft that night.  Then we do 1 day of scramble and 1 day of best ball (we also do long drive and closest to the pin).  We also have a rule that you have to shotgun a beer on the 9 and 18 holes, and after every 5 beers, your team gets a mulligan.  We went out and bought a trophy (like a legit $400 trophy) that the winning team gets their name added to each year and we make hats/T-shirts each year.

i think if you have a wide range of players, something like a scramble or best ball is the best format and fun for everyone.  i know you dont have the # of players like we do but I think the trick is to make it official.  Like a trophy or plaque.  I think if you make it official it adds to the excitement and fun.  My friends and I do a lot of cool trips but the summer golf trip is my favorite.  Weeks leading up to it we talk a lot of trash over emails and texts and everyone gets into it, even the guys who dont play a lot.

good luck and have fun

#4 dgrelecki

dgrelecki

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13640
  • Ebay ID:greleckd
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Have multiple games going on.  Bingo Bango Bongo keeps the worse players in it.  Try a 9 hole reverse scramble, 4 guys hit, you have to take the worst shot...actually quite a lot of fun.

#5 Huffer

Huffer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125510
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I go with a group that will be celebrating it's 30th anniversary going to Myrtle this coming April.  We have 20 guys that come down for a full week (Saturday thru Friday golf) and 8 come in for the first half week (the rabbits) and 8 that come down for the 2nd half.   Our handicap committee (yes we have a guy who inputs EVERY score that anyone has ever shot while in Myrtle) produces special "Myrtle" handicaps that are basically pegged to our best golfer.  The best golfers are a 0 handicap while in Myrtle while everyone is ranked in multiples of 2 based on rounds posted (2,4,6,8,10).

Tradition is a big big part of what makes this week special.  We have the obligatory green jacket (awarded to the most valuable golfer for the week) but we also vote on Rookie of the Year, Best Dressed Golfer, Iron Man, and a few others.   We end the week with a tourney day where 2 captains pick their teams and each of our seven foursomes consists of 2 players from one team and 2 from another.  Each foursome represents a total of 3 possible points, two nine hole matches between each individual golfer on the front 9 and 1 better ball match between the teams on the back nine.  This tournament always comes down to the final foursome and we recap our match in the parking lot, nobody really knowing which team will win the match until all foursomes report in during this parking lot line up.  Myrtle Beach Golf Holiday actually did a story about our tourney day on their web site last year: http://myrtlebeachgo...onger-than-ever

Every day during the week we have a different game going on - here's a link to our web site.  It may give you some additional ideas on things you can do for your trip:

http://www.blakelygolf.com/

Edited by Huffer, 04 January 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#6 cbehan

cbehan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31381
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Why not ryder cup style matches with handicaps?

We did that on a 12-man RTJ trip and had a blast!   We even had a home-grown scoring system that people could use on their PDAs and keep track of where the other matches were during rounds.    

The only word of caution is don't gives strokes directly proportional to handicaps...that favors high handicaps too much.

#7 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125633
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

I'm putting together our first guys golf trip.  Should be between 4-8 of us.  All in out young 30s.

I was trying to think of cool ideas and one I thought of was finding the ugliest blazer I could fine (example: http://www.ebay.com/...tem1c2b2a5096  and make the loser of each round (worst score) wear that until the next tee time.  The morning loser only has to wear it during lunch but the afternoon loser has to wear it out that night.

I dunno...I'm trying to come up with ideas to on the first trip.

#8 mallrat

mallrat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

I know this isnt on the course but one night we have a big bonfire. The place we stay in backs up to a green space. Over the course of a year each time we go to the range we pocket 2-3 balls and end up with 2-3 large buckets worth.

Mid way through the bonfire ( and drunk as all get out) we start picking out trees in the green space. $5 dollars per man first to hit the target wins the pot. Still amazes me that I can hit either a 8 inch round branch 20 yards away or a 12 inch thick tree 35 yards away but I can duff a chip from 6 inches or miss a green from 15-20 yards.

#9 TNReb

TNReb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

View Postmallrat, on 04 January 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

I know this isnt on the course but one night we have a big bonfire. The place we stay in backs up to a green space. Over the course of a year each time we go to the range we pocket 2-3 balls and end up with 2-3 large buckets worth.

Congratulations on being a thief...

#10 mallrat

mallrat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

View PostTNReb, on 04 January 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

Thanks...How's life from the view up there? I imagine you've never broken any law, must be nice to be you.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

View Postmallrat, on 05 January 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

View PostTNReb, on 04 January 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

Thanks...How's life from the view up there? I imagine you've never broken any law, must be nice to be you.

Dude, I'm sure I break the law (speeding for instance) but I don't brag about stealing stuff.   Especially when you could just pocket the pinnacles and crap you find on the golf course during the year + the cut up golf balls you take out of play and end up with way more than one bag when the year is over.  

I had some fun on a guy's golf trip last year-- on one of the days, we played a serious round of golf in the morning and then in the afternoon we played a scramble from the red tees.    That was a blast.

#12 mallrat

mallrat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Sorry, it's not right and I'm not trying to be a smart a**.

Back to the thread, play any 3 clubs or 2 clubs and a putter. My club lets us off as a 8 some for the last tee time of the day and we play any 3 clubs for 9 holes. At that point in the day pretty much anything goes as well. Heckling in the middle of the backswing is strongly encouraged.

#13 TNReb

TNReb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

I certainly don't steal things.  Sorry.. there's just nothing that makes me madder that someone stealing something.  It's pathetic.  If you can afford to take a golf trip, you can afford to buy some cheap shag balls.

#14 mallrat

mallrat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostTNReb, on 06 January 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

I certainly don't steal things.  Sorry.. there's just nothing that makes me madder that someone stealing something.  It's pathetic.  If you can afford to take a golf trip, you can afford to buy some cheap shag balls.

I admitted it's wrong. Not going to keep going on about because I can't justify it or make it right. I don't know you and you don't know me. If you want to make it personal, well that's your perogative. I'm sorry you feel it's pathetic.

If you want to keep going on, well I apologize for trying to add something to your thread. Good luck and have a good trip.

#15 Cwing

Cwing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
GolfWRX Likes : 257

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

You could always try this ----

http://www.mbcaddygi...com/gallery.asp

G25 10.5* & 12*
G25 15* & k15 16*
G25 20* & K15 23* hybrids
G25 5 - U. DG XP s300
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
Cleveland 54 Rtx, 60 cg12
WITB Link

#16 masyankees

masyankees

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138903

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

View Postsbjinx, on 04 January 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

We also have a rule that you have to shotgun a beer on the 9 and 18 holes, and after every 5 beers, your team gets a mulligan.

I'm a fan of this rule

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors