Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Professional wedge fitting?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 preshotroutine

preshotroutine

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171875
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Has anyone been through a professional wedge fitting? If so can you break the fitting down for me?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37417
GolfWRX Likes : 2584

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

First they gap you: Full PW, gap, sand and lob (or 3 wedges if that's what you play). They will have you hit different bounces, lofts, grinds, shafts and heads, monitor your divots until the find the desired turf interaction.

Next you test different grinds and bounces out of the rough, sand and around the green.

Read this: http://www.golfwrx.c...a-sole-problem/

#3 CD17

CD17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151833
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

I was fitted a few years ago at Ping in the UK

1. Worked on my distance with each wedge to get my wegde set up, mine is 50, 54, 58

2. We next worked on lie & bounce for each club, it does make a massive difference to how clean you strike the ball on half, chip & pitch shot by altering the lie & bounce. We found that I needed my clubs 1 degree flat & the lowest bounce on my 58 & medium on my 54. So I have 58-06 54-08

Its well worth going to a fitting, the clean strike you get with a correctly fitted club makes a massive difference to your distance control.

#4 preshotroutine

preshotroutine

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171875
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

View Postscratchswinger, on 04 January 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

First they gap you: Full PW, gap, sand and lob (or 3 wedges if that's what you play). They will have you hit different bounces, lofts, grinds, shafts and heads, monitor your divots until the find the desired turf interaction.

Next you test different grinds and bounces out of the rough, sand and around the green.

Read this: http://www.golfwrx.c...a-sole-problem/

Thanks!

#5 endy

endy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166935
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

That is an awesome article, thanks.

#6 Timbo22

Timbo22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143995
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm so jealous of 'feel' players, those guys can grab a wedge and just work it out. Not me. Wedge fitting was amazing and mine went as below:

i wanted to go from 135 with my set pw, to 125, 115, 100. We did a trackman session dialling that in while trying different heads. headweight was more important than shape. The problem with all the wedge offerings are the damn grooves. They put so much spin on the ball you might think you can go from 46 deg PW, to 50 degree for GW at 125 - but nooooo the jumbotron spin knocks 10 yards off at least. I have a 48 deg vokey that i squeeze 125 or smooth 120 - but its only 2 deg more than my PW.

I knew i wanted more bounce, and based that on a discussion with the fitter and what i was currently using / dominant conditions. - if you can get somewhere that you can try bounce combos around the green that would be epic.

Best thing i ever did. Well, apart from gettting my driver fit, and my putter fit and my codpiece fit and.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors