Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Nick Watney = Ricky Bobby

44 replies to this topic

#1 Duffner's Waggle

Duffner's Waggle

AGBear is my homeboy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118661
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 1256

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Any of y'all see the Nick Watney interview with Steve Sands during the Hyundai TOC Pro-Am today?

Asked about his new Nike Equipment, Watney didn't have much to say lol! If anybody can find the clip of the interview I'd love to have it posted here.

Basically it went a little like this:

Steve: Well Nick, new look for you this year. Different brand on your hat and shirt....tell us a little bit about what you can expect from your new equipment that you couldn't from your old clubs.

Watney: Well Steve...I think that's a good question.....It'll be interesting to see what 2013 has in store, but I'm excited to see what kind of year we can have...("I don't know what to do with my hands")

Steve: Any fear making a switch after such a successful 2012?

Watney: Well I think initially there's the fear of the unknown, but after testing the "stuff" and playing a couple rounds at home I think I feel pretty confident with it.

Sounds like Nick isn't exactly bubbling over with confidence about his new Nike gear. I will say he looks pretty sharp in the nike threads, and the flatbill kinda fits his california cool more than the titleist fitted.

LOVE THAT THERE IS GOLF ON TV AGAIN!! This isn't a knock on Nick btw, I think he's a great talent, just thought the interview was really awkward.

Ping i25 10* w UST Elements Chome 6f5t
Ping G20 with Diamana Flowerband WB 73x
Adams Super DHy 18* w Matrix BlkTie X
Titleist 913Hd 23 w Diamana D+ 92h X
Adams CMB 5-GW w KBS Tour X ss +1"
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

Golf is hard.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205445
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1485

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

*Watney looks at camera*

"If you don't chew Big Red then %@# YOU"

:cheesy:
Taylormade SLDR 12*
PING i20 3 wood/Taylormade VSteel 5 wood
Taylormade TP MB
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron California Coronado
InsideTMAG Trip 2013

#3 pcirelli

pcirelli

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65717
  • Ebay ID:pcirelli
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Funny...I just made the exact same comment in the HTOC thread. He needs to talk to his cousin, Heidi, on the proper way to conduct an interview. Actually, I wish Heidi at Kapalua!
-Pete

#4 ZNatural

ZNatural

Love the game

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210055
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Nike must love how he held himself and their "stuff" during the interview. Rofl

#5 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93643
  • Handicap:up
GolfWRX Likes : 1039

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Great kid but he's always been a deer in the headlights on camera.

driver holding spot
titleist 913f 15* diamana blue
titleist 913h 19* diamana blue
ping s55 3-pw kbs tour +1/2" yellow
vokey 50/55/60
ping karsten tr anser 2 starshot

#6 Holy Moses

Holy Moses

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180764
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

That was a tough first question. He basically asked Watney to bash Titleist, and Nick didn't want to do that. I don't blame him. The only thing he could have said is, "Well this club shoots $100 bills out at me and I like that." How many pros actually change equipment manufacturers after being with a company for a while because they found something better? Very few. It's about the money and it's hard to blame them.

Edited by Fore(ged), 03 January 2013 - 10:15 PM.

#7 Troyefl

Troyefl

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130015
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

"I don't know what to do with my hands"

#8 pcirelli

pcirelli

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostFore(ged), on 03 January 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

That was a tough first question. He basically asked Watney to bash Titleist, and Nick didn't want to do that. I don't blame him. The only thing he could have said is, "Well this club shoots $100 bills out at me and I like that." How many pros actually change equipment manufacturers after being with a company or a while because they found something better? Very few. It's about the money and it's hard to blame them.
The least he could have done was mention the name of his Nike driver or putter. Nike is paying him to market clubs. DJ was flashing his R1 and dropping the RocketBladz name. DJ gets it.
-Pete

#9 Duffner's Waggle

Duffner's Waggle

AGBear is my homeboy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Agreed. I dont blame him either. I'm sure he's got relationships with Titleist reps and employees still, and he's not out to bash. Seems like Golf Channel is making a really big deal of equipment changes this year to me. Especially with their newer show, 'On The Range.' Titleist makes awesome players' equipment, but I think they're gonna hear a lot of whispers early on while everyone is up in arms about equipment changes for big name players.

Don't think Titleist cares either. They're classic and unmoved by money, hype, etc. Just sayin I think people will be talkin Nike, TMaG alot early in the year.
WITB Link

#10 pcirelli

pcirelli

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostDuffner, on 03 January 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

Don't think Titleist cares either. They're classic and unmoved by money, hype, etc.
A publicly traded golf manufacturer "unmoved" by cold cash?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Duffner's Waggle

Duffner's Waggle

AGBear is my homeboy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

View Postpcirelli, on 03 January 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

View PostDuffner, on 03 January 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

Don't think Titleist cares either. They're classic and unmoved by money, hype, etc.
A publicly traded golf manufacturer "unmoved" by cold cash?
I mean I hear what you're saying, but Rory has the potential to make them twice as much as they'd pay him and they chose not to go after him. I know people knock Nike, but regardless of their equipment, its not as if they're throwing money away at these guys with no return on investment. Do they sell a boatload of equipment? Compared to Taylormade no, not sure how they'd stack up with Titleist, but I know that by putting guys in the Swoosh who are big name, large amounts of TV time players, they sell multiple boatloads of branded clothes, shoes, accesories. I think Titleist left a lot of money out there by letting Rory go. And yea they'll be praised for not jumping into a bidding war agains the big, mean, bully Nike, but by not doing so they let the most-talented, most-marketable athlete/golfer out there walk away to a bigtime competitor. All I'm sayin
WITB Link

#12 Duffner's Waggle

Duffner's Waggle

AGBear is my homeboy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

By the way...to provide some context: I'm an equal opportunity consumer. I have Taylormade, Titleist, Nike, Adams, Mizuno in my bag.
WITB Link

#13 Holy Moses

Holy Moses

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180764
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

You think that if Titleist gave Rory $21 million they would make $42 million off of him? Seems like a stretch because of the number of good players already playing Titleist clubs. Rory won't stand out like he will with Nike. No one can market like Nike except possibly TMG.

#14 Duffner's Waggle

Duffner's Waggle

AGBear is my homeboy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Not the way they market now, obviously not. But that's my point in saying that they aren't moved by money. They could absolutely improve their market presence in order to boost sales, or showcase the best player in the world, but they don't feel it necessary. Nike is a great marketing group and have been for a long time, but what I'm saying is the way Nike markets 21M out = 42M+ in. Titleist won't change their strategies to get there. Not good, not bad, just the way it is.
WITB Link

#15 502 to Right

502 to Right

Badds

• 7,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23773
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 1627

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Nick seems to be a very introverted guy. I'm sure he hates to do interviews, but given his line of work, he has to.  Personally, I give him a pass.

Nike will be happy if he wins tournaments with a swoosh on his cap.

#16 John Kreese

John Kreese

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125579
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

The interview was definitely awkward and he could have handled it better.  Nonetheless, the first question was practically begging him to say bad things about Titleist.  I could see not wanting to answer it...

#17 Duffner's Waggle

Duffner's Waggle

AGBear is my homeboy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Yea I was surprised the question was posed the way it was. Still doesn't hold a candle to the Kelly Tilghman/Matt Every weed smokin interview.
WITB Link

#18 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 699

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

View PostDuffner, on 03 January 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

Steve: Well Nick, new look for you this year. Different brand on your hat and shirt....tell us a little bit about what you can expect from your new equipment that you couldn't from your old clubs.

Watney: Well Steve... Can I call you Steve? Of course I can. The major difference between my new equipment that I expect over my old equipment is the increased amount on the checks I receive on the 1st and 15th. I might have to open the envelopes containing the checks with a ski mask and a knife but if Mark Sanchez can become comfortable with that routine, so can I.

#19 hogans71

hogans71

Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45116
GolfWRX Likes : 1332

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

View PostLlortamaisey, on 04 January 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

View PostDuffner, on 03 January 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

Watney: Well Steve... Can I call you Steve? Of course I can. The major difference between my new equipment that I expect over my old equipment is the increased amount on the checks I receive on the 1st and 15th. I might have to open the envelopes containing the checks with a ski mask and a knife but if Mark Sanchez can become comfortable with that routine, so can I.

That's good stuff...

#20 Arpeggi

Arpeggi

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140543
  • Ebay ID:android46and2
GolfWRX Likes : 256

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

And someone in another thread said this guy is more popular and marketable than Luke Donald. Hilarious.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,770 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2413

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

I like Nick Watney.  Crazy talented and could win majors.  Not much in front of the microphone, but that makes me like him even more, I think.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#22 dukeman

dukeman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113909
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he's the worst interview on tour. I don't think he's known the answer to any question he's ever been asked. The "deer in the headlights" description is perfect.

Today might have been different. When asked what he expected from his new equipment I think he knew the answer. He expects to get bigger direct deposits from Nike than he was getting from Titleist.

That might have been even more awkward.

#23 SpenceT47

SpenceT47

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121902
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Yeah, he is one of my favorite players, but during interviews I mute the TV. I just get awkward in my own skin hearing it.

But speaking of Ricky Bobby, I hope when they interview Rory, he goes with:

"I'm the best their is, that's all there is to it. I wake up in the morning and piss excellence."

#24 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1794

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostbruinsPATSirish, on 03 January 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

*Watney looks at camera*

"If you don't chew Big Red then %@# YOU"

:cheesy:
LOL that just made me laugh!!

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#25 Kylekoz17

Kylekoz17

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204917
  • Ebay ID:Snipperdo17
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Haha that was a horrible interview.  He should've had something prepared to say about nike gear even if it was inferior or similar to his old.  Should've known he would be asked that question multiple times.

Bio Cell + - D+ 72x
Nike VR Pro Ltd - Matrix Ozik 70x
Titleist 910h 19* - Matrix Ozik Altus
714 AP2 4-pw X100
Scotty Golo 5
Nike VR Forged 51, 56

#26 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93643
  • Handicap:up
GolfWRX Likes : 1039

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Charles Howell III is the master of giving props to his sponsors.  Every time they put a cam in his face he's talking about his Mizuno wedges (and formerly Bridgestone & Callaway)
driver holding spot
titleist 913f 15* diamana blue
titleist 913h 19* diamana blue
ping s55 3-pw kbs tour +1/2" yellow
vokey 50/55/60
ping karsten tr anser 2 starshot

#27 MileHighClub

MileHighClub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123991
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

View Poststation2station, on 04 January 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

Charles Howell III is the master of giving props to his sponsors.  Every time they put a cam in his face he's talking about his Mizuno wedges (and formerly Bridgestone & Callaway)

Bubba is pretty good too.   Loved the interaction on the 18 tee.  GC reporter told Bubba that he had the longest drive of the day on that hole and he replies "you're welcome".  Hilarious.
Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

#28 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

Hall of Fame

• 9,776 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37417
GolfWRX Likes : 2873

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

He took the high road- good for him. In all honestly it was a stupid "bait" question and TS knew the answer.

Edited by scratchswinger, 04 January 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#29 BCC

BCC

Whatever works !!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36183
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Would not expect him to bash Titleist.....but....come on....say something good about Nike !!  He was very unprepared and I'm sure will get schooled for next time.
R11 S Tour AD DI 6x
4 wood R9 TP BlueBoard 83
4 Hybrid R11 Matrix Altus S
Mizuno MP H5 4-7i, MP15 8-PW  PX 5.5
Vokey SM4 50/54/SM5 58K KBS Tour S
KP1 raw---TM TP5/ProV1

#30 spitfisher

spitfisher

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73111
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

schooled? shouldn't that have been done before the contract ink dried either by the manufacture, the player or players agent- in that order.  Considering the change, considering the first tourney featuring such change, that question or a version of that question was going to be asked. Stupidity to thing otherwise.
What bunch a dopes, but then again it is all about cash and it just showed.

Edited by spitfisher, 04 January 2013 - 01:06 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors