Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Old Marsh or Dye Preserve

Palm Beach Private Courses

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 238

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hello all, I'm heading down to Southeast Florida in about a week and a half with three of my buddies.  We've got some great tracks lined up already, but we have a nice problem that I'm hoping some of you can help solve.  We have the opportunity to play at either Old Marsh Golf Club or Dye Preserve Golf Club and have to choose one over the other because we only have one day left to fill in our itinerary.  Playing 36 is not an option for us on the day in question.  The price to play is about the same.

Have any of you played these courses?  Would you recommend one over the other?  If so, why?  We are all mid to low single digit handicap players.  I'm interested in opinions of the golf courses and the overall experience at each.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by dpb5031, 03 January 2013 - 07:59 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Bump

#3 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125633
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I have only played Dye Preserve so I can't really answer your question.  Was invited by a member a few weeks ago. If I only had to choose one, I would choose Dye Preserve.  It's more exclusive.  It's a neat hidden course that is very well maintained and even has several PGA tour pros as members.  No houses on the course.  Just a very nice course with 100% focus on golf.

#4 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the reply!  Sounds like a great overall experience!

#5 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

Any other opinions on these two courses?  I need to lock in our itinerary today.  Thx

#6 Ridge

Ridge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70382
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Dye Preserve. Both are enjoyable but as a low single digit player, Dye is more strategic. In fact, they are hosting one of the most prestigious amateur four-ball events there this week.

Where else did you get set up? So many great courses in the area.

#7 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostRidge, on 07 January 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Dye Preserve. Both are enjoyable but as a low single digit player, Dye is more strategic. In fact, they are hosting one of the most prestigious amateur four-ball events there this week.

Where else did you get set up? So many great courses in the area.

We are playing the Fazio course at Jonathan's Landing, both courses (Palmer & Watson) at the Tesoro club in Port St. Lucie, TPC at Eagle Trace in Coral Springs, and Ironhorse on the day of our arrival.  We considered the Bear's Club and Trump International for this trip, but the cost is ridiculous, and I've played them before.

Last year we played Medalist and really enjoyed it.  We saw Tiger warming up on the other side of the range, and Ben Curtis played through us as a single.  Anyway...at the turn they had these sweet looking cookies sitting out in the half-way house.  Our host told us to help ourselves because they were free.  We then went out on the back nine and there were coolers set out on each tee, with crushed ice and perfectly lined up bottles of beer.  I thought wow, how nice, they provide free beer on the back nine!  So, my buddy and I helped ourselves on a few holes.  It wasn't until the 18th tee that our host realized we had been swiping beers from those coolers.  He laughed and told us that they had been set out for the Wood's outing.  It turns out Tiger was having a small outing for contributors to his foundation (or something like that), and the beers were for them...lol!  So, I guess I can say that Tiger bought me a beer (or several!).  Based on his reputation for being pretty cheap, apparently I'm in rare company!

#8 Ridge

Ridge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70382
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Great story.  Medalist is a cool place but I am not a huge fan of the course.  I also played in a 3-day tourny at the JL Fazio course...didn't love it and couldn't make a putt all week.  Next time down work to get on Dye Preserve and Jupiter Hills, both great layouts.  Seminole if you know someone is truly an amazing day out.  Haven't played Trump but Bear's Club is good fun as well. I play out of Mirasol and Bear Lakes, so four courses to choose from and a lot of scratch golfers at Bear Lakes to choose from.

#9 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5901
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Dye Preserve......Old Marsh has the name but old Cypress Links now Dye is a much better golf course!

#10 markjinc

markjinc

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52194
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

For what it's worth, Old Marsh was the most enjoyable and most memorable round of golf in my life. Beautiful course in immaculate condition with the best caddies I've ever had and I've played everywhere. Either one is great but Old Marsh is something special. Enjoy the trip.

WITB
Cobra Bio Cell Pro Attas 5 GOGO 7TX
Cobra Bio Cell+ 15* - TourSPX VTS 9TX
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3-PW - DG X100
Cobra Tour Trusty Wedges 52, 56, 60
Bettinardi BB8 Dass Proto

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies fellas!  We had absolutely perfect weather in the Palm Beaches...around 81 every day, low humidity, and warm breezes.  I'm absolutely blown away by Tesoro.  It's a private club in Port St. Lucie that started off as an uber-ambitious Bobby Ginn development.  The recession hit them hard, Ginn is out of the picture, and I think they are just now starting to recover.  They have 2 signature courses (Watson & Palmer) and a 90k square foot Tuscan style clubhouse.  When you drive in and the clubhouse comes into view you feel like a little kid seeing the Magic Kingdom at Disney for the first time.

Dye Preserve was awesome also and we had a great caddy.  Unfortunately, I had the worst ball-striking day of our trip there and did not score well, but it was a great day nonetheless.  The Fazio at Jonathan's Landing was the easiest of the courses we played...even though we played the tips.  The Palmer at Tesoro was by far the hardest.  I've got to believe that the South East coast of FL has the greatest collection of courses per square mile than just about anywhere.

#12 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5901
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

View Postdpb5031, on 22 January 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Thanks for all the replies fellas!  We had absolutely perfect weather in the Palm Beaches...around 81 every day, low humidity, and warm breezes.  I'm absolutely blown away by Tesoro.  It's a private club in Port St. Lucie that started off as an uber-ambitious Bobby Ginn development.  The recession hit them hard, Ginn is out of the picture, and I think they are just now starting to recover.  They have 2 signature courses (Watson & Palmer) and a 90k square foot Tuscan style clubhouse.  When you drive in and the clubhouse comes into view you feel like a little kid seeing the Magic Kingdom at Disney for the first time.

Dye Preserve was awesome also and we had a great caddy.  Unfortunately, I had the worst ball-striking day of our trip there and did not score well, but it was a great day nonetheless.  The Fazio at Jonathan's Landing was the easiest of the courses we played...even though we played the tips.  The Palmer at Tesoro was by far the hardest.  I've got to believe that the South East coast of FL has the greatest collection of courses per square mile than just about anywhere.

Glad to see you had fun!! Only problem with your statement about collection of courses is PUBLIC ACCESS!!! or lack thereof.......

#13 eagles1

eagles1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68674
GolfWRX Likes : 179

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Access isn't as hard as you think - you'd be surprised what a phone call can deliver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors