Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Shaft Weight set consistency

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dogsbe

dogsbe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143425
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

What considerations should be made to each some sort of shaft weight uniformity in the set, i.e. driver - wedges.  I am looking at my set and never took any care so my set goes with "light weight" shafts from driver and progressively goes to "heavy weight" shafts in the wedges.  I do believe that shaft technology is now there to achieve some kind of standard.  For example, I think my ideal is a medium shaft weight as this potentially gives me the most amount of control and gives me added distance over heavy weighted shafts.  

My current set is stamped:

Driver 64g
4 wood 74g
hyrbids 85 g
irons     121 g

So, they are getting progressively lighter, but I am thinking that their weights should really be similar, e.g. all stamped 110g.

Obviously, shafts at different lengths will have an over weight differences that must be taken into account.  Also, there is the swing weight to adjust feel.  

I just feel that OEMs are pushing for lighter and lighter shafts in hybrids and woods so they go farther resulting in inconsistency in shaft weights, while head weights appear to have more uniformed standards.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 peepster96

peepster96

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152043
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

If you wanted to go with having all of the same weight you would either need to go all steel or all graphite. I don't know why you would ever want all the clubs to be the same static weight with the shafts as the heads are different head weights too. I could understand having all of the same swing weights as the wedges are usually heavier than the irons in swing weight points. Is there a reason for this or just a thought/theory? I would be curious how distance gaps would be too.

#3 dogsbe

dogsbe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143425
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

The shaft technology is now available that you can use graphite, steel or composite shafts to achieve some sort of shaft weight consistency for the entire set.  This appeals to me because I use one swing for my driver, iron and wedges and all of my clubs lengths are uniformly progressive, i.e. my driver is only 43.5 inches.  

Theoretically, there is an ideal shaft weight that fits one's tempo and release.  If this is true, then to achieve consistency then there should be some logical formula underpinning shaft weight.  For example, 3 grams difference between clubs.  

Taking this further.

Roughly, heads tend to go up by 7 grams, , MOI swingweighting goes up by 1.5 grams per club and grips are the same.  So, shaft weight should potentially go done by 8-9 grams per club, which gives a total weight of all the club the same and MOI matched.  With your eyes closed, I think would no know what club I had in my hand.  Theoretically, I would not have to make any adjustments to my swing, which seem like a good recipe for consistency and control.  

I do know golfers that like max distance would not be interested in such a set, but I play strictly for position and want maximum control and very tight shot dispersion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors