Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Help me with my lame swing...flame away!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tyro

tyro

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176856
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I've been playing since this past March and was out for a couple of months with an injury.  Here is my swing.  Can you guys tell me what I need to do to get more club head speed and distance.  I am a pretty good ball striker, but I just don't hit the ball very far.  Any and all tips, suggestions, or drills would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks!

Edited by tyro, 03 January 2013 - 02:56 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 JPGolf FL

JPGolf FL

Once won a charity scramble.....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192708
GolfWRX Likes : 575

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Not bad at all for a new swing. Id say get a little closer to the ball, add a little more knee flex. Your rear leg is nearly locked straight in the back swing. A little straightening is ok but not that much. You will probably find that you need to get more strength and flexibility in the lower body to get it right. You dont have a lot of the common issues most new golfers have. If you can get in a little better position to start with you will progress very nicely. Keep it up and dont get too bogged down in technical thoughts.

Edited by thesponge, 03 January 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#3 tyro

tyro

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Thanks Sponge.  I noticed the locked leg thing too.  That doesn't allow me much leverage to push my weight towards the front foot in the later part of the swing.  I tried some new stuff at the range today.  I started with some 1/2 swing knock downs, then on to 3/4 and full swings with each club.  It seemed to help ingrain the focus on ball contact.

You are right.  When you have a hundred swing thoughts going through your head, nothing comes together in the end!

I appreciate the help.

#4 JPGolf FL

JPGolf FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Three-quarter and half swings are actually a really good idea. As a beginner, it would probably do you a lot of good to only hit those small shots for quite a while. Think of learning to throw a baseball. You don't go out and start throwing it as hard as you can. You go out and learn to toss it and then slowly add more speed.  And along those same lines, when you play catch with someone you are always throwing it to them. Be sure to always have a specific target when you practice. Now it's easy to say yeah I have a specific target I'm hitting it at that flag, but aiming at something and literally trying to hit something are two different things.

#5 tyro

tyro

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Yeah, I try to have a specific target in mind when I hit.  Otherwise, I'm just out there hacking away.  I have fun trying to hit the 50, 100, and 150 markers with my 5 and 7 irons, just to get the feel of hitting the shot square on the face.  I gradually build up to each distance with each club.

I like the analogy of throwing the baseball.  I would have thrown my arm out really quick if I had been trying to pitch a fastball from day one, plus I would have knocked out lots of windows on the house too!

Right now, it seems the further back I take the club, the less likely I am to square it up and hit the center of the clubface face at impact.

Again, thanks for the help!

Edited by tyro, 03 January 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#6 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 2623

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

I will add one thought to what sponge said.  Free up that hip turn in the backsiwng.  It will probably happen automatically after the setup changes he suggested, but just in case it didn't...
Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#7 tyro

tyro

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 03 January 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

I will add one thought to what sponge said.  Free up that hip turn in the backsiwng.  It will probably happen automatically after the setup changes he suggested, but just in case it didn't...

Let me make clear that I am not being snarky, but can you tell me what you mean by freeing up the hip turn in the backswing?  Do you mean turn the hips more?

Thanks!

#8 JPGolf FL

JPGolf FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Exactly. The FEEL is that you turn your butt to the target. Definitely not that much in reality but that is an exaggerated feel to get the idea.

#9 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • 10,314 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Not Snarky at all.

Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#10 golfpros1

golfpros1

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
GolfWRX Likes : 952

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

ott

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 JPGolf FL

JPGolf FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 03 January 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Not Snarky at all.

I like it Monte. You can definitely see Piercys lead hip get away from the ball here. What are your thoughts on his right hip in the down swing? I love how it stays solid as a rock and seems to force the left hip forward and away from the ball as you said. I think this is a big key, for beginners especially.

Really like this swing by the way.

#12 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • 10,314 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Sponge, played with him a few times and I knew nothing about the swing at the time.

What I likes most about his swing at the time and now is he didn't buy into that whole down loading, max lag nonsense.

He has that same constant hand set through the backswing and impact.
Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#13 tyro

tyro

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Thanks a ton for the video Monte.  I get it.  I'll work on that the next time I am at the range...tomorrow!

I feel the bump, dump, & turn you talk about in one of you other videos too.  At this point, it almost happens by accident and I don't have the muscle memory to make it an automatic sequence on any consistent basis just yet.  When the sequence comes together, I can feel it though.

Again, thanks so much for the help here guys.  Too much!

#14 JPGolf FL

JPGolf FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 03 January 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Sponge, played with him a few times and I knew nothing about the swing at the time.

What I likes most about his swing at the time and now is he didn't buy into that whole down loading, max lag nonsense.

He has that same constant hand set through the backswing and impact.
He just makes it look easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors