Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What is Minneapolis golf like?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 PhilTickelson

PhilTickelson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115587
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

The secret to enjoying winter in Minnesota is finding a winter hobby. Whether it's skating, skiing, snowboarding, or ice fishing, having something to look forward to on weeknights or weekends in the winter makes living here so much easier. I like to ice fish and will be genuinely disappointed when the season is over. Of course that means golf season begins so I am not too disappointed :).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 titeygolfer

titeygolfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129279
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

A great option for lessons in the cities is Rod Lidenberg. He is rated in the top 100 nationwide by Golf Magazine, and does extensive teaching during the winter at GolfZone in Chaska.

#33 DaBigSaus

DaBigSaus

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 232567
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 175

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

View Postcinderellaboy, on 18 February 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

My move to MN is now definitely happening, sometime in April.  Wondering if you guys had any recommendations on a good pro in the western suburbs? Beyond being a good teacher I really need someone who teaches year round as I do the majority of my lessons in the off-season.  Someone who is easy to get time with and is accessible.

I see a guy named Eric Chiles. He used to teach at ESPN Golf Schools and now teaches out of the Chaska Town Course in the summer and now in the winter he is at Minnesota Golf Academy. He breaks it down so you can understand and make better decisions with your swing and your situation. Just so you know Im a +4 handicap. I live in the northern burbs and I take the time to drive and see him.
12* SLDR w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 65 05
17* SLDR HL w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75 05
21* SLDR Hybrid w/ Kiyoshi Purple 100x
TMag TP CB 4&5, MC 6-PW S400
2013 Scotty GoLo Mid 41"
2014 Scotty Cameron Fastback 33"
WITB Link

#34 cinderellaboy

cinderellaboy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68328
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Thanks guys.  I will be living in the Edina area so both these guys look convienent.  I usually see my guy 10-12 times a year so its an important choice.  Ive been with my guy 5 years.  Its like finding a 2nd wife!

#35 cinderellaboy

cinderellaboy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

Wow this MN golf academy looks like a pretty sweet facility.

#36 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 601

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

This thread is reminding me of the Tim Herron episode of the Golf Channel's "My World" series.

A native Minnesotan, Tim lived in Scottsdale for many years before deciding to move back to Minnesota to raise his family.

In one segment of the show, Tim takes the audience to experience ice fishing.  He pulls a fish out of the hole, holds it up for the camera and declares (with Minnesota accent) "You can't do this in Arizona!"

#37 DaBigSaus

DaBigSaus

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 232567
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 175

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Here is my 4 year old at the MN Golf Academy. This place is awesome and they have 4 Trackmans for anyone to use. It's about time we got a facility like this up here.

12* SLDR w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 65 05
17* SLDR HL w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75 05
21* SLDR Hybrid w/ Kiyoshi Purple 100x
TMag TP CB 4&5, MC 6-PW S400
2013 Scotty GoLo Mid 41"
2014 Scotty Cameron Fastback 33"
WITB Link

#38 PhilTickelson

PhilTickelson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115587
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

When you say they have trackman's for anyone to use, what exactly do you mean? Can I show up and just use one? That place looks pretty dang pricey to me. $30 for an hour to use a practice green? Let's face it, if there are 9 other people using the green then you aren't going to be lobbing in 30 yard shots, it's going to be small chips and putts.

Looks cool, but that's a pretty high price point. If I had access to a trackman the whole time then I might change my mind, though their website only shows a 'Trackman Combine' which honestly looks terrible. Would be a cool idea at like 1/4 the price.

#39 winn0040

winn0040

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31452
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostPhilTickelson, on 12 March 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

When you say they have trackman's for anyone to use, what exactly do you mean? Can I show up and just use one? That place looks pretty dang pricey to me. $30 for an hour to use a practice green? Let's face it, if there are 9 other people using the green then you aren't going to be lobbing in 30 yard shots, it's going to be small chips and putts.

Looks cool, but that's a pretty high price point. If I had access to a trackman the whole time then I might change my mind, though their website only shows a 'Trackman Combine' which honestly looks terrible. Would be a cool idea at like 1/4 the price.

The Trackman is open to the public for $60/hr, however they have a 10 hour punch card you can purchase for $300.  They will allow you to split it with a friend or a couple of friends so that helps with the cost some.  They're really cool and helpful devices and at $30 it seems like a steal!

#40 cinderellaboy

cinderellaboy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

My first week in town and I hit balls at both MN golf academy and the golf zone in chaska.  The price point at both is ridiculous at $30 an hr.  And I am coming from NY prices.  I think Chelsea piers is cheaper.  

MN golf I get as an indoor facility probably has more overhead involved.  But the golf zone needs some competition.  Paying by the minute is brutal.  I used to go to a similar facility in NJ, heated stalls in winter, and pay $14 for 220 balls which I rarely got thru in 2 hrs.  

Thought it was supposed to be cheaper here! I know golf will be cheaper but winter practice here is a big partof the year.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 simple36

simple36

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182332
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Golf dome in maple wood is where I do the majority of my winter practice. Weekends they have 2 house each night where it is $12 and hour as much as you can hit. Weekdays it is $11 for the first 30 minutes and $0.37 each additional minute. Probably a little far to drive though.

#42 FBDom

FBDom

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 164895
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

I can recommend Inside Edge in Eden Prairie (worked there this winter) for simulators in the west metro and either Brad Pluth or Kevin Williams for pros in that area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors