Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 2 votes

Shorter driver length takes no distance away.

48 replies to this topic

#1 MEC13

MEC13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200763
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

I continue to see these golf companies pushing out 46" shafts in their drivers saying it increases distance off the tee.  Of course it does when a robot is hitting the ball but taking an inch or two off the club will not take yards off your drive.  I continue to use a 44.25 inch shaft in my driver with no distance losses while seeing plenty of beginners out on the course swinging something that looks like a fishing rod.  Can't wait till the day when they bring back shorter stock shafts.  Everyone will keep them straighter and who knows, maybe speed the round up a little.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

Golf is hard.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205445
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1484

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

What is lost in arc length and club head speed is gained by centeredness of contact, and simply confidence in hitting a good drive.  First thing I tell the members at my course that get a new driver is to cut an inch or two off it.  Good post
Taylormade SLDR 12*
PING i20 3 wood/Taylormade VSteel 5 wood
Taylormade TP MB
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron California Coronado
InsideTMAG Trip 2013

#3 Greyboy

Greyboy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87688
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

I have no evidence to back this up, but I've heard several times that many tour players play shorter driver shafts, simply for accuracy.

I for one, am planning to get fit for a new driver this spring and will certainly ask about a shorter shaft in my driver.  I feel much more confident with a shorter driver in hand, and I'm also only 5'9".  I've always played a standard length driver, I bet a shorter one would help my game.

#4 MEC13

MEC13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Greyboy, on 02 January 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

I have no evidence to back this up, but I've heard several times that many tour players play shorter driver shafts, simply for accuracy.

I for one, am planning to get fit for a new driver this spring and will certainly ask about a shorter shaft in my driver.  I feel much more confident with a shorter driver in hand, and I'm also only 5'9".  I've always played a standard length driver, I bet a shorter one would help my game.
I'm 6' and it just feels uncomfortable using the standard length drivers that are longer than 45". I've noticed many tour players are using 44.5 but I guess it comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Bubba, the longest hitter on tour is 6'3" and uses 44.5 so that definitely says something there.

#5 soconnor73

soconnor73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163471
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

First post here guys so don't be too harsh. I feel like I would be more accurate with the driver taken down a little also (TM Burner stock shaft and length), but do I just go into the Golfsmith and ask them to take it down. Seems they might think I'm crazy. Or is this a normal request?

#6 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

Golf is hard.

• 3,865 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

soconnor73, on 02 January 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

First post here guys so don't be too harsh. I feel like I would be more accurate with the driver taken down a little also (TM Burner stock shaft and length), but do I just go into the Golfsmith and ask them to take it down. Seems they might think I'm crazy. Or is this a normal request?

Depends how you want them to do it.  You can have the grip removed/replaced and take the shaft down at the top.  This would leave the shafts flex alone for the most part.  The alternative would be to pull the head and cut down the shaft at the tip.  This will make the shaft more stiff, which may be something you would like.

As for cutting down a shaft being a normal request, absolutely, we do it all the time at my shop.
Taylormade SLDR 12*
Taylormade TP MB
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
InsideTMAG Trip 2013

#7 soconnor73

soconnor73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

What would you think about 1 Inch off both ends? At 46.5 stock that would take it to a more manageable 44.5.

#8 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

Golf is hard.

• 3,865 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

soconnor73, on 02 January 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

What would you think about 1 Inch off both ends? At 46.5 stock that would take it to a more manageable 44.5.

How are you hitting it now?
Taylormade SLDR 12*
Taylormade TP MB
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
InsideTMAG Trip 2013

#9 soconnor73

soconnor73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Decent but I feel as if the plane is too flat because of the length which causes lack of confidence which leads to a whole other set of problems. I'm 5'10". Overall I feel like I'm swinging a mile before I get back to the ball which causes loss of control.

Thanks for the help.

#10 soconnor73

soconnor73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Got to go to sleep. I'll check this in the a.m.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 BluehoseGolf

BluehoseGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211637
  • Ebay ID:saintsgolf15
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Im gonna start getting my driver shaft cut down.  I want to hit it straighter off the tee and Im using a 74 gram x stiff shaft, any suggestions on how to keep it in the short grass more?

#12 parpar41

parpar41

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21432
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

chadsullivan17, on 02 January 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

Depends how you want them to do it.  You can have the grip removed/replaced and take the shaft down at the top.  This would leave the shafts flex alone for the most part.  The alternative would be to pull the head and cut down the shaft at the tip.  This will make the shaft more stiff, which may be something you would like.

As for cutting down a shaft being a normal request, absolutely, we do it all the time at my shop.
  Re:  "We do it all the time at my shop"   Question for you.  When you pull the head  , do you add weight?  How and How much ?  ( I bought a TM burner superfast 2.0 driver with the (ridiculous) 46.5 inch shaft and would like to have someone take it down to 45 inches, properly.     Please let me what you recommend .

#13 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

Golf is hard.

• 3,865 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

soconnor73, on 02 January 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Decent but I feel as if the plane is too flat because of the length which causes lack of confidence which leads to a whole other set of problems. I'm 5'10". Overall I feel like I'm swinging a mile before I get back to the ball which causes loss of control.

Thanks for the help.

Well I mean you really can't go wrong taking down a 46" driver an inch or two... stock shafts really are silly long.  You will most likely be making better contact and better swings.
Taylormade SLDR 12*
Taylormade TP MB
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
InsideTMAG Trip 2013

#14 MEC13

MEC13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Bring it to any golf shop and they'll do it right there for you. I always do it myself but I've also made club making a hobby of mine. If you  don't know whether to take it off the top or bottom they'll ask you there what you would prefer and if you want the flex and weight to be changed in any way.

#15 Dr. Shankenstein

Dr. Shankenstein

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121184
  • Ebay ID:mdcmdeal
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

I play mine at 44.25 which was cut down from 45.5. For each 1/2" you cut off, you lose 3swingweight points. 3 swingweight points=6 grams. So that is quite a bit of tip weights or tungsten powder or lead tape to apply if you want to keep your original swingweight. Something to consider before loping off shaft.

TM SLDR 10.5* Fubuki Alpha 60x5ct
Cally X-Hot 17* 4w stock PxV
Cally X-Hot 22* & 19* stock shafts
Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-P NSPro 1050GH
SnakeEyes 695lz 54*&60* DG spinners
Rife Aussie Mallet/Rife Abaco
WITB Link

#16 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

Golf is hard.

• 3,865 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

parpar41, on 02 January 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

chadsullivan17, on 02 January 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

Re:  "We do it all the time at my shop"   Question for you.  When you pull the head  , do you add weight?  How and How much ?  ( I bought a TM burner superfast 2.0 driver with the (ridiculous) 46.5 inch shaft and would like to have someone take it down to 45 inches, properly. Please let me what you recommend .

Are you doing it yourself or are you going to take it to a shop and tell them exactly what you want?  If you take it to a shop and tell them you want 1.5" off of it, depending on how good the guy is then he should do it the right way and ask you where you want it taken off, stiffness, etc. like we do at my shop.  Honestly, if the guy was just a schmoe going through the motions, he would probably just remove the grip, take it off, and put it back on or a new grip and call it a day.  If you tell them you want to maintain the same swing weight whilst taking down the shaft then hopefully they would find the swing weight, take down the shaft, and then add weight with either a tip weight/lead tape/hot melt etc to bring it back to D3, D2 or whatever it was.

Edited by chadsullivan17, 02 January 2013 - 10:57 PM.

Taylormade SLDR 12*
Taylormade TP MB
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
InsideTMAG Trip 2013

#17 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

Golf is hard.

• 3,865 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

MEC13, on 02 January 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

Bring it to any golf shop and they'll do it right there for you. I always do it myself but I've also made club making a hobby of mine. If you  don't know whether to take it off the top or bottom they'll ask you there what you would prefer and if you want the flex and weight to be changed in any way.

+1
Taylormade SLDR 12*
Taylormade TP MB
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
InsideTMAG Trip 2013

#18 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

Golf is hard.

• 3,865 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Dr. Shankenstein, on 02 January 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

I play mine at 44.25 which was cut down from 45.5. For each 1/2" you cut off, you lose 3swingweight points. 3 swingweight points=6 grams. So that is quite a bit of tip weights or tungsten powder or lead tape to apply if you want to keep your original swingweight. Something to consider before loping off shaft.

You are very right. Another reason the driver weight kits are nice in the newer models.
Taylormade SLDR 12*
Taylormade TP MB
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
InsideTMAG Trip 2013

#19 Augster

Augster

Mr. Fairway

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30291
  • Ebay ID:augster..8
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

?

My post about Sub70 clothing gets moved but this stays?  Odd day at WRX.

#20 hmx3

hmx3

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22522
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

Most stock length of drivers are about 46".

Cutting down a driver shaft for 1" means 6 SW points and replacement of 12 gramms, otherwise the shaft plays a lot stiffer.

But the overall feel of the club is gone and often the performance suffers.

Cutting down a shaft is easy, but the result may vary.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 MEC13

MEC13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

And this is what brings me back to my original point of why companies need to start offering stock shafts that are not 46".  There are a lot of beginner golfers out there that do not know about swing weight and stick to using a driver with a 46" shaft.

#22 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
  • Handicap:LH
GolfWRX Likes : 594

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Over the last few months I have developed an annoying habit of hitting my driver very slightly out of the heel. My pro has suggested that I take 0.5" off my driver shaft to cure it. I'm not so sure. Does this course of action sound logical?
Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#23 Greyboy

Greyboy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87688
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

MarkFromTheUK, on 03 January 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

Over the last few months I have developed an annoying habit of hitting my driver very slightly out of the heel. My pro has suggested that I take 0.5" off my driver shaft to cure it. I'm not so sure. Does this course of action sound logical?

It's hard to predict the future, but it sure would have helped a few months ago!! jk ;)

#24 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

Golf is hard.

• 3,865 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

MarkFromTheUK, on 03 January 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

Straight up, IMO, taking a 1/2 inch off your driver will be more helpful than harmful.  You will be making better contact and that IMO is more important than anything else.
Taylormade SLDR 12*
Taylormade TP MB
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
InsideTMAG Trip 2013

#25 lsf_21

lsf_21

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174678
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

My driver is now ~44 inches. My drives are longer, straighter, and just more consistent.

It helps that the ZL encore head is awesome.

#26 MEC13

MEC13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

43" shafts in the RBZ 5 wood and 46" shafts in the RBZ driver.  Taylormade said they added another 10 yards to our drives.  Wonder where those 10 yards came from.  New technology?  I don't think so.

#27 mws92

mws92

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109432
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Bubba Watson plays 44.25" and Scott Stallings plays 43.75".

Enough said.

#28 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

Golf is hard.

• 3,865 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

MEC13, on 03 January 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

43" shafts in the RBZ 5 wood and 46" shafts in the RBZ driver.  Taylormade said they added another 10 yards to our drives.  Wonder where those 10 yards came from.  New technology?  I don't think so.

:scenic: But at look at their numbers! He can hit a 7 wood 260! It's awesomeeeeeeee!
Taylormade SLDR 12*
Taylormade TP MB
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
InsideTMAG Trip 2013

#29 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

Golf is hard.

• 3,865 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

mws92, on 03 January 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

Bubba Watson plays 44.25" and Scott Stallings plays 43.75".

Enough said.

Amen.
Taylormade SLDR 12*
Taylormade TP MB
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
InsideTMAG Trip 2013

#30 tander69

tander69

PPGS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105838
  • Handicap:14.2
  • Ebay ID:toma16
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I can't hit it further than Bubba or Scott, but I did cut down my shaft on my Adams 9064 to 44" and added the weight back to the heel with the stick on weights and now I am very accurate and can actually hit it further. I really recommend it to the average golfer. I just got a Adams Speedline 11 driver and plan to do the same with it.

Titleist 913D 10.5* Driver
Taylormade R9 17* 4 Wood-JuJu Headcover
Adams A12OS 3-4 Hybrids
Titleist 714 AP1 5- W1
Odyssey 2 Ball
Titleist SM4 52*, 56* Wedges

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors