Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Add lead tape + duct tape to driver hosel club head

lead tape club head duct tape hosel driver

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 losaltos66

losaltos66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102898
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

I want to add lead tape to my driver to increase swingweight.
It will not stick on the head, so I'd like to wrap it around the outside of the hosel.
But since the tape tends to fall off or unwind I'd like to use duct tape around the lead tape to hold it on better.

Am I in contravention of decision 4-1/5 by using the duct tape over the lead tape?

"4-1/5
Adhesive Bandage or Tape Applied to Clubhead to Reduce Glare or for Protection.

Q.May a player put an adhesive bandage or tape on the clubhead to reduce glare or to protect the club from being damaged?

A.An adhesive bandage or tape added to the clubhead is considered an external attachment, rendering the club non-conforming (see Appendix II, Rule 1a but see also Decision 4-1/4). However, material attached to the clubhead that does not affect the performance of the club and is semi-permanent, durable, not easily removable and conforms to the shape of the clubhead may be permitted by exception, but an adhesive bandage or tape does not fall under that exception because such items are temporary in nature and easily removable. See "A Guide to the Rules on Clubs and Balls," Section 1a, for detailed criteria regarding permissible external attachments, such as alignment markings, protective coverings or decorative decals.

Additionally, adding such an attachment during the stipulated round would change the club's playing characteristics in breach of Rule 4-2."

i.e. is the duct tape considered "an adhesive bandage or tape does not fall under that exception because such items are temporary in nature and easily removable."

Secondly, if I wrap the lead tape around the shaft just above the hosel (and wrap duct tape over that), does that ensure I am in compliance?

L.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 699

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

Tough question.  I would think it would be an allowed exception since lead tape itself is allowed and the intent is to ensure the lead tape does not come off and thus change the playing characteristics of the club.

But since the tape tends to fall off or unwind I'd like to use duct tape around the lead tape to hold it on better.

I've used lead tape in lots of different places, including around the shaft and never had any problems with it falling off.  If yours is falling off, you might consider getting better lead tape.

Secondly, if I wrap the lead tape around the shaft just above the hosel (and wrap duct tape over that), does that ensure I am in compliance?

No.  As per appendix II, the no external attachment rule is not specific to the head but applies to the whole club.   So if duct tape is considered an external attachment, it can't be anywhere on the club.

All parts of the club must be fixed so that the club is one unit, and it must have no external attachments. Exceptions may be made for attachments that do not affect the performance of the club.

The real question is who can make the judgement on those 'exceptions'?

#3 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,382 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 2056

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

I've never had a problem with lead tape not sticking before, I think you should pick up a new roll.

#4 jwfgolfpro

jwfgolfpro

jwfgolfpro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13051
  • Ebay ID:jwfgolfpro
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

View PostThrillhouse, on 01 January 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

I've never had a problem with lead tape not sticking before, I think you should pick up a new roll.

or peel the paper off the current roll :taunt:
JWF

#5 Johnny Biarritz

Johnny Biarritz

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137765
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

Are you layering several pieces of lead tape? That is the only time I have had lead tape come off, when I tried to stack 3 or 4 pieces directly on top of each other. Peeled off every time. But if you are using only a single piece of tape and it's not sticking, sounds like you just have a bad roll.

#6 Newby

Newby

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93129
GolfWRX Likes : 343

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

I would suggest the following would indicate that such a method would be a breach

(ii) all adjustable parts are firmly fixed and there is no reasonable likelihood of them working loose during a round;

#7 losaltos66

losaltos66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

In response to the responses:

The lead tape I've got is a Golfworks 1/2" x 75" roll but my memory is it should stick better.
I'm currently in a slightly remote part of the world where the supply of good quality lead tape seems to be slightly limited; also the time of year may be counting against me a bit. I was told hardly anyone wants it these days so it's probably an old roll.
I am layering it - originally I tried sticking it on the sole of the club where there are some recesses, then tried adding glue to hold it. It just falls off. I remember in the past sticking tape to the sole and it stayed on.
The amount I want to put on is about 8". I haven't bothered to work out what the swing weight change is but in the past I've had drivers at D8 (with a firm to stiff shaft). So it does take several layers. Wrapping it around the hosel would require several wraps (1/2" ext. dia. hosel - (8/(1/2))/pi = about 5 wraps, not properly accounting for the gradually increasing dia...).
I thought of the hosel because of how people add swing weight by putting lead powder and a cork down the shaft - had that done myself with my irons (all about D5).
I actually tried working out the weight I want by leaving the paper on, wrapping it around the hosel, and keeping it stuck with scotch tape over the top until I'd decided the weight was right, then taking the paper off, so I don't think that's the problem, but worth pointing out. :)

I had thought that if I used a cable tie I might be ok, since it is not tape, but maybe Appendix II rules that out too.

The reason I asked about wrapping it around the shaft (above the hosel) is the 4-1/5 decision only talks about the clubhead, so wrapping any kind of tape around the shaft sounds like it is ok since the duct tape would not be being applied to the head (assuming the hosel is considered part of the head) - I've seen people wrap tape around their clubs at the point they stick out of the bag to prevent the top of the bag marking the shafts.

If external attachments are illegal, does that mean using glue to help hold the tape on is also illegal?

Thanks for all taking the time for my question.

Happy New Year,

L.

#8 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

The decision only mentions the head because the question in the decision was in reference to the head.  However, based on the rules in the appendix, the external attachment restriction is not limited to the head.

If external attachments are illegal, does that mean using glue to help hold the tape on is also illegal?

I would think glue would come under the category of "is semi-permanent, durable, not easily removable" so therefore would not be a problem (especially since glue is used to attach the head to the shaft).

#9 losaltos66

losaltos66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostStuart G., on 01 January 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

The decision only mentions the head because the question in the decision was in reference to the head.  However, based on the rules in the appendix, the external attachment restriction is not limited to the head.

I would think glue would come under the category of "is semi-permanent, durable, not easily removable" so therefore would not be a problem (especially since glue is used to attach the head to the shaft).

So maybe wrapping the lead tape around the hosel then securing it with glue would be ok, but securing it with a cable tie might not be ok, since glue would be considered at least "semi-permanent" whereas a cable tie might be considered less than "semi-permanent" (and duct tape even less "semi-permanent").

L.

#10 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

It depends on the specific design but generally, for a cable tie that has to be cut off, I'd personally consider it 'not easily removable' - by my logic due to the fact that a tool has to be used to remove it.  As opposed to tape which can be picked off with the fingers.  But then, I'm not part of the USGA ruling body :-)

Edited by Stuart G., 01 January 2013 - 06:56 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 losaltos66

losaltos66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostStuart G., on 01 January 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

It depends on the specific design but generally, for a cable tie that has to be cut off, I'd personally consider it 'not easily removable' - by my logic due to the fact that a tool has to be used to remove it.  As opposed to tape which can be picked off with the fingers.  But then, I'm not part of the USGA ruling body :-)

I'm going to try the glued tape around the hosel. If no-one complains after a while I could try the cable tie on another club and see it anyone complains then.
There is a local rules man I could ask too, who's decision seems to be considered good around here. I haven't seen him for a while but I'll ask him when I do.

Thanks,
L.

#12 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 1883

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

View Postlosaltos66, on 02 January 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

View PostStuart G., on 01 January 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

I'm going to try the glued tape around the hosel. If no-one complains after a while I could try the cable tie on another club and see it anyone complains then.
There is a local rules man I could ask too, who's decision seems to be considered good around here. I haven't seen him for a while but I'll ask him when I do.

Thanks,
L.

Instead of adding "glued tape" why not simply add glue to the lead tape itself?  And maybe rough up the exterior of the tape so that it sticks to itself better?  That cable tie idea seems to be asking for trouble.

One is allowed to use lead tape, and there is no rule against making your own lead tape -- which is what I would consider the result if you added glue to the existing adhesive.

(I don't have any evidence to support my idea here, but I wouldn't be ashamed to argue the point if anyone ever challenged me.)

#13 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Sawgrass - I would agree.  Lead tape is not a problem, glue is not a problem, so together I don't see how they could be a problem. except for the fact that he already said he tried gluing the lead tape directly.  However he didn't say what type of glue he used or what (if any) surface preparation - which can be critical to getting a good bond.  Most glues (other than epoxy) don't require a rough surface though but rather an extremely clean tight fit.

Still - that's a lot of lead tape.  If I wanted that much weight added I would consider a using a tip weight (and possibly hot-melt) to reduce the amount of lead tape needed - and thus reduce the need to have multiple layers of the lead tape.

#14 losaltos66

losaltos66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I think you are right - the cable tie is overkill.
I tried it yesterday with just what Sawgrass said - lead tape reinforced with glue and it seems to be sticking well (wrapped around the hosel).
I showed it to the rules man and he said he thought it was ok, but apparently using even just lead tape is so uncommon he did not know directly that it was legal, and this guy is a long time golfer.
For sticking it to the sole, again I think what Sawgrass said would be right - more preparation of the bonding surface is required - "keying" the surface somehow so that the glue is actually keyed in.
However since I am used to lead powder in the hosel, which I guess has the (somewhat minimal per Tom Wishon etc) benefit of not changing the angular momentum of the head then wrapping tape around the hosel is a good solution so far.

Wrt to previous efforts, I cleaned to sole with thinners, and used Araldite to glue it - I covered the lead tape with glue and made sure the front edge was flush - it just fell off. For the hosel, I've used one of the new slower setting superglues. Obviously it's subject to much less work wrapped around the hosel. I even thought to wrap it in an anticlockwise fashion (looked at from above) finishing at the back of the hosel i.e. maximally far from the face, to make the torque of the swing and the effect of impact tend to compress the last bit of tape in place.

Thanks again for all input.

L.

#15 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

You could try one of the superglue accelerators but one of the big problem with superglue, that while strong in tension, it's not very strong in sheer or very good at holding up to shocks (very brittle) which is a common occurrence with a golf club head.  It also means once it starts to peel off, it will keep going quite easily.  Epoxy would be a better glue to use.

#16 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 1883

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hey, I'm really impressed at your effort.  I'm the kind of guy who finds a nice club and uses it, never thinking twice about whether its performance can be improved until I buy a new one maybe 15 years later.

I always wonder if I'm missing something compared to you tinkerers, but I don't even put sufficient time into practice, so rubbing, torquing and taping sit far back on the burner.

Hope you get what you're looking for!

#17 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106301
GolfWRX Likes : 1170

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

So duct tape is easily removable but lead tape is not?  Both are pretty easily removable to me.  Actually, duct tape is probably harder to remove than lead tape.
Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

#18 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostRJRJRJ, on 04 January 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

So duct tape is easily removable but lead tape is not?  Both are pretty easily removable to me.  Actually, duct tape is probably harder to remove than lead tape.

It's not that lead tape is not easily removable (sorry for the double negative), it's that it's an explicitly allowed exception to the rule.

4-1/4

Lead Tape Applied to Clubhead or Shaft Before Start of Round

Q.Before the start of a round, may a player attach lead tape to a clubhead or shaft for the purpose of adjusting weight?
A.Yes. The use of lead tape is an exception to Appendix II 1b(ii).

Edited by Stuart G., 05 January 2013 - 04:33 AM.

#19 golfgolf

golfgolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159805

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Is there a definition of what constitues lead tape?

If you go to a dollar store and buy the cheapest duct tape you can find... chances are it probably contains lead.

#20 lander215

lander215

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65964
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

View Postgolfgolf, on 08 January 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Is there a definition of what constitues lead tape?

If you go to a dollar store and buy the cheapest duct tape you can find... chances are it probably contains lead.

Oh now you've done it! You're going to get all the "I'll know it when I see it" posters huddle around you like moths to a flame!

LOL

This is where I think intent needs to be more involved in decisions than anywhere else. If you figured out a way to secure the weight to your club and intend it only for that purpose and don't mess with it during a round nor gain an advantage by its presence, then your intent is what overrules any complaints.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

Also tagged with lead tape, club, head, duct tape, hosel, driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors