Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Are these tournaments good enough for a resume?

college golf junior tournaments ny metro area

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 myoung1072

myoung1072

• Jr. Boomers
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218127
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hi, I am currently a junior in high school trying to play college golf. I live in the NY Metro area and play tournaments on the Met PGA Junior Tour. For my upcoming season, I plan on expanding my schedule to USGA Qualifiers, MGA Qualifiers, NYSGA Qualifiers, Rutgers Junior Open as well as continuing on the Met PGA Jr. Tour and a few local tournaments. My past season I averaged an unconsistent 80.2. This including a 68, a few 74s and 76s, as well as some high 80s. My goal this upcoming season is to average a 76 without shooting anything over 80.

As for colleges, I have already sent out 30+ emails to Division 1 schools with little interest. These schools were all ranked in the 200-300 range based on Golfweek's College Rankings. I currently have a 4.0 GPA so I plan on going to a school with strong academics as well as a D1 golf program.

I understand many people put an emphasis on the stronger junior tours such as the AJGA, IJGT, FCWT, etc. Besides those tournaments, will the tournaments I plan on playing prove to be strong enough for a golf resume.

Thank you for any comments and information.

Mike

Edited by myoung1072, 28 December 2012 - 05:37 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Jon Robert

Jon Robert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163937
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

You don't need to manage tournaments you need a manager.  My daughter’s classmate got a 50% $100K scholarship for baseball only because his father managed his exposure, and campaigned on his behalf.  Get yourself someone who will be your salesman selling YOU!  Plenty of kids get scholarships and plenty don't. Those that don't are not playing the game properly.  NY metro surely has someone who can sell you if there is no one in your family.  I think the 2012 buzzword phrase is networking.  Get a coach or teacher to write to the schools.  You don’t have to be the best you have to be the name that keeps showing up on the desk.

Edited by Jon Robert, 28 December 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#3 lilmike24

lilmike24

LEAVE your MARK !

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193038
  • Ebay ID:lilmike24
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

I don't say go AJGA, go with state tournaments. Statewide ams, qualifiers stuff like that. But depending on how you play, you're looking pretty strong.
Nike Vr Tour 9.5* W/ Diamana BB
Nike Covert Performance 15* W/ Stock
Adams Idea Pro 20* Hybrid
Titleist 690 CB W/ DG s300
Nike VR Pro wedges 52-58 W/ DG s400
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C

#4 Sling

Sling

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178146
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Your main issue is the length of the courses you are playing, they all seem to be in the range 6100-6500 yards which is what the stronger tours play for their junior divisions, my 12 year old son plays up in the oldest division because he finds the courses too short! It isn't really about getting in to a program it is also about having fun while you are there, colleges play golf on 7000+ courses which for someone used to playing 6300 could be nothing but hard work.

My advice is to start playing from the tips and try to find tournaments that play long courses, unlike amateur golfers like me who shouldn't be playing from back there you really need to start doing so to see if you'd actually enjoy it!

#5 BluehoseGolf

BluehoseGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211637
  • Ebay ID:saintsgolf15
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

When I was getting recruited, I honestly played as many tournaments as I could.  Obviously they need to be atleast 36 holes because thats the minimum you will play in college.  Coaches want to see how your game holds up under pressure of 54 hole golf.  Also and obviously the bigger tournaments you play the better.  Qualifying for you state am, state open, state junior, US Junior, US am and shooting good scores will help your cause a lot.  Since your from NY, you have a good bit of tournaments you can play there from my understanding, AJGA's help but not neccesary only if you have the money.  I didnt get recruited until after my junior year summer so dont panic, but definitely start emailing and being aggressive.  PM me I am curious to see who you emailed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors