Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

RBG Odyssey Backstryke Blade Putter ~$60, shipped

odyssey backstryke blade

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thevaporz

thevaporz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151963
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

RBG has three models of new Odyssey Backstryke putters for ~$60, shipped, before tax (with head cover). I picked up a "preowned" blade model from budgetgolf about a month ago for the same price (w/o head cover) and have played four rounds with it. The "preowned" condition rating from bg must've been a formality for open box, 'cause this thing was flawless upon receipt.

This style of putter looks really funky to the eye at first but I've gotten used to imagining a standard plumber's neck blade when I putt with it. It's helped keep my knee-knocker length putts on line, and helped cut down on three-putts. Still getting used to lagging with it on longer putts, though. The insert feels pretty soft. Gainey won the McGladrey Classic using this putter, shooting a 60 on Sunday, and making only 24 putts on the day. Anyone else out there using this style putter?

Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 gr8blueheronbird

gr8blueheronbird

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129494
  • Ebay ID:harrierdogsrbest
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I have this putter although its #2 in the rotation right now. I have had some of my best putting rounds with it(24-26 putts per round). The insert is very nice and it does line up great for a left eyed dominant player.  I use a lefthand low grip and also would highly recommend putting an Iomic mid sized putter grip on it. I may have to give it another try soon as I am leaving to many shots out there(30-32 putts per round) right now.

#3 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13233
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I should NOT have opened this thread. I'm perfectly happy with the Yes! Tracy II, but being extremely left-eye dominant I've wanted to experiment with center-shafted and face progression putters.

Must resist!

Edit: nevermind - nothing less than 35" in stock.

Edited by KaBoom21, 28 December 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#4 pat007

pat007

Long Ball Silver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48492
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

They look odd. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

#5 Medic

Medic

6th at Disney's Magnolia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 674

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

I have had mine for about a year now and absolutely love it. The oversized grip really helps me to keep it online and I rarely three putt now. (And we all know that getting rid of those is one of the main keys to scoring low with the others being making GIR and not making stupid fundamental errors like trying to pull off impossible shots)

The main thing for me was the fact that when they first came out I had tried putting them in the store several times and they felt so natural to my putting stance. But I could not afford that original $200+ price tag. I got mine shipped for $90 from the BST and there wasn't a mark on it. I have found that the key is the accept the fact that at address it will look open. I love sitting it down behind the ball with the target all lined up and then pulling the trigger knowing that likely as not it will end up in the circle. (I always aim for a 2 foot diameter circle around the hole -  from within this circle I know I can make the next putt and thus no three-bees. If it drops it is a nice bonus)

I do have one problem with mine albeit only a slight problem and it isn't the club - it is the cover. It is really cheap and thin and is wearing out on me. I always use my headcovers and it amazes me when the OEMs provide such low quality on something meant to maintain the condition. Case in point, my Rbz headcover - the material could not have been made any more thin and non-protective. There is no padding on the crown at all - again a case of the OEM going really cheap on an important piece of the puzzle. For those of us who are anal about using a headcover having a good one is imperitive. And the Callaway/Odyssey cover is just not up to their normal standard. Thankfully they aren't that expensive to replace.

TM R1
TM Rbz 17* 3 Wood HL
Callaway X 19* 5 Wood
Callaway X-24 Hot 4-SW
Cleveland CG-16 60*
TM Spider 37" Counterweighted

#6 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13233
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

^^ are you right-handed, left-eye dominant golfer?

#7 Medic

Medic

6th at Disney's Magnolia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

I am actually ambidextrous - I write left handed but can play most sports from either side. I prefer to aim when shooting with my right eye probably more out of habit from training as opposed to my right eye being dominant. But my personal putting stance places the putterhead in a position just behind my right eye which would naturally make it appear open.

I have tried many, MANY putters over the years - name it and I have tried/owned it. Light heavy, expensive/cheap, Scotty, Ping; I have owned probably no less than 50 putters in the last 20 years. None felt more natural to me than the Backstryke. I believe it to be a combination of the weight, the position in relation to my eyes, and large grip, and the alignment feature.

About the only negative I can cite regarding this putter is how it can be a little harder to putt with it when the ball is against the fringe. The rear of the putter doesn't glide all that well through thicker stuff and it takes some getting used to.
TM R1
TM Rbz 17* 3 Wood HL
Callaway X 19* 5 Wood
Callaway X-24 Hot 4-SW
Cleveland CG-16 60*

#8 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 676

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

I used a two ball model for about half a season.  Nice putter, but at the end of the day isn't anything really special for me.  I found distance control a bit tough from long range.  Great price though.  Any time you can get a gamer putter for that cheap is time for celebration

Edited by highergr0und, 06 January 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#9 lologolf

lologolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4010
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

absolutely love this putter, it's been in my bag for the past two years. cut way down on 3 putts love the feel and the distance control it gives. Hate the headcover (flimsy) looking to replace with an aftermarket one and stock grip which I replaced with a ping grip.

#10 Medic

Medic

6th at Disney's Magnolia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

View Postlologolf, on 07 January 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

absolutely love this putter, it's been in my bag for the past two years. cut way down on 3 putts love the feel and the distance control it gives. Hate the headcover (flimsy) looking to replace with an aftermarket one and stock grip which I replaced with a ping grip.

Let me know what aftermarket you end up going with please. I bought one online only to find that the fit was too loose so ended up going back to the original that came with it.

Thanks in advance!

TM R1
TM Rbz 17* 3 Wood HL
Callaway X 19* 5 Wood
Callaway X-24 Hot 4-SW
Cleveland CG-16 60*

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 lologolf

lologolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4010
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Medic, been looking for one for awhile now. I'm heading to a place 2 hours away on Wed. see if they got anythng to replace the current hc. I'll let you know what they got.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors