Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

BiMatrix in a fairway wood

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gentles

gentles

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18758
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:50 AM

Hi all, as the title says, i am wondering how a BiMatrix shaft, the original one, would work in a fairway wood? Im after a stiffer shaft, and I have a chance to get one of these for next to nothing. Does anyone have any experience? I can also get a Grafalloy Prolite too, if thats any better. Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Boba

Boba

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15566
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:42 AM

If you like your clubs at a G7 swing weight, then the Bi-matrix is an ok shaft. Some people named David Toms think the shaft is decent on long par 3's. In PGA championships.

#3 oregongolf

oregongolf

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:55 AM

View PostBoba, on Mar 3 2007, 01:42 AM, said:

Some people named David Toms think the shaft is decent on long par 3's. In PGA championships.
What does he know anyway  ;)

#4 Boba

Boba

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15566
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:48 AM

He knows the result of playing a Bi-martix.  ;)
Posted Image

#5 daughterscameron

daughterscameron

Don't touch the Kitty!! (The Doll House) MB, SC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10596
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:29 AM

mmmmm, wait lost my train of thought. i have a couple
of fairway woods with the bimtx in it . one is an original
steelhead 5wd, i go back and forth with that and a hybrid,
but it is a dy-na-mite combo. i also have few with the
Prolite bimtx and also EI-70 bimtx. jury is still out on those
2.  ;)

#6 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:00 AM

Good shafts if you're looking for a flatter ballflight, and a stout feel. Also, extremely good for people who have a problem hitting the ball left.

You will never, ever, under any circumstances, no matter what, hook a ball again if you put one of these in your driver (or 3 wood.) One of these in a driver would turn Bobby Locke into Lee Trevino.

That's my experience anyway.

#7 weissmanjeff

weissmanjeff

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8836
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

While I don't necessarily agree with the above post (I can hook most anything - that's not bragging, it's frustrating), I do like the original BiMatrix fwy shaft.  I had the Adams ST 4 wood in play for over a year.  That shaft almost put Adams out of business, because it is not a shaft for the masses.  If you are looking for a stout shaft with more control, this is an oldie but goodie, and can be had for a song.  Be careful of tipping (try to get a new one), and tee it up just a hair.  

I don't know how much of an improvement the new BiMatrix is over the old one.  I have no experience with the new one.
Ping G30 Ozik TP6HD Proto
Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Bimatrx Proto
PRGR 020i 3 Ozik Altus
Ping G25 4-U Ozik Program 130
Ping Gorge 54 & 60 Ozik Program 130

#8 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

Perhaps a bit OTT with the above post!

I'll repharase it, and moderate it by saying that it is a very tip-stiff shaft which does not promote a draw. It can, and does, work very well for people who are naturally more of a fader than a drawer - particularly in light of the fact that it flattens out the ball flight remarkably well.

Regarding tipping, TT's advice was "don't"

Edited by mat562, 03 March 2007 - 02:07 PM.

#9 oregongolf

oregongolf

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:44 AM

I hear the new graf bimatrix is supposed to be pretty sweet.

I'm afraid to try it though :p

#10 marcus2905

marcus2905

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14568
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:34 AM

View Postj0npeterson, on Mar 4 2007, 10:44 AM, said:

I hear the new graf bimatrix is supposed to be pretty sweet.

I'm afraid to try it though :p

I had one of the original Bi-Matrix Shafts in a Callaway ERCII, I would echo the comments made in so much it was certainly a good cure for anybody afraid of the left side of the golf course. Ball flight was also very low, great for playing into the wind on hard course conditions but not much use for carry distance.

I now play the new bi- matrix (Pink) again in my Driver, I love this shaft, it has pretty much the same benefits of taking the left side of the course out of play, but launches a lot higher than the original bi-matrix, this shaft loads really smoothly and feels really solid. A lot of shaft makers hype their product as the next big thing, this shaft does what grafalloy say it will, It launches high but with a strong penetrating flight which gives good roll. For the money I think it must be one of the best shafts on the market, (the colour looks good too - when you get used to it!) I would recommend this shaft as certainly worth a try, and in comparison to the old bi-matrix would say it is a totally different animal - Go for this one rather than the original. IMHO.

Good luck

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 laseranimal

laseranimal

Ball Striking Machine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12603
  • Handicap:2.6
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:25 PM

have it in both my CPR hybrids

I absolutely LOVE the shaft and would really recommend it to anyone who's having the "graphite vs steel" for my hybrid dilemma

My problem had been with Fairway woods and hybrids had been that due to my steeper plane I have a very high ball flight and I don't have the SS or skill to consistently play long irons well.

Enter my salvation: the Bi-matrix Rxi

Now I'm not going to say its a magic cure all thats going to take an LW trajectory and turn it into a 2 iron and its going to make all your shots go straight and give you the distance of graphite with the control of steel.

But I have found that the trajectory while still high, fights the wind better, I'd compare it to how my rifles initially launch high but don't balloon.  As for feel, its much improved, not only can I find the shaft through my backswing, but I know exactly where I hit the ball on the clubface, stingers aren't nearly as bad as with a steel shaft but its far less muted then graphite.  As for distance I feel like I've gained some when I want it because I can really jump on the shaft if I need too.  My 21* will carry 200 yards and my 24* 180 but I can easily add 10 yards with very little decrease in accuracy, and if I really go after it and put a draw the ball I've hit the green from 226 with my 21*.  Dispersion is tighter as well

I haven't found the same success with the shaft in my 3 wood and I can't really put my finger on why I haven't liked it as much.  It works just fine, its just as predictable as it is in the hybrids but the feel is different.  I've chalked it up to .350 in the hybrids and .335 in the 3 wood, plus the longer length makes the shaft feel a bit sluggish and dead feeling.  I much prefer something burly and stiff like the NV 85 that I have in there now since I play a LOT of 3 wood off the tee and my temptation has always been to swing harder, and the Bi-matrix has a tendency to fell really "hinge-y" at the FW wood length, almost like the steel part doesn't flex at the same arc as the graphite.

Edited by laseranimal, 04 March 2007 - 03:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors