Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Car choice ,, it was a tough decision.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 buteman

buteman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153613
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

What a merry go round it is when you decide to buy a new car ,,, when it comes to make and model there as as many to choose from as there are friggin golf clubs and of course don't ask for advice as you will be bombarded with countless differing opinions.
I must say our 2006 Chevy Impala did us well, over a hundred thousand kilometers and still ran well never a problem but it was getting a bit tired and it was time to move up a bit.
Being just the two of us we decided to buy a nice little sports car ( or coupe ) and we first looked at the Mazda MX 5, nice but we decided that it was overpriced and under powered.
Next we looked at the Nissan 370 Z, really enjoyed the test drive, not the best quality finish nor the most comfortable but it sure was nice, they had a 2011 coupe with 47k ( kilometers ) they had it priced at $ 37,500.00 ( Can. ) they offered us a very poor trade in on our Chevy so we walked.
I was having a chat with my neighbour who had just bought a new Hyundai for his wife, he was really impressed with the car and the dealership and suggested we stop in and have a look at what they had.
The idea of buying a Hyundai was the furthest thing from my mind but we stopped in at the dealership and met the owner, he did not have anything in stock but did show us a beautiful Genesis sports coupe so it gave us an idea what they were like ,, and yes I sure was impressed.
We explained we were shopping for a late model vehicle, low mileage and still under full warranty, I left them my card and they said they would look around and if the found anything close to what we were looking for they would call.
A week later we got the call, we went down and looked at the car, my wife was sold the minute she saw it, 2011 Genesis Coupe, premium model, 23600 kilometers. Black in colour, black leather interior, heated bucket seats, great sound system, sun roof / moon roof, six speed automatic with paddle shifters and a 2 litre turbo engine that sure impressed me.
They had brought this car in from another Hyundai dealership and they had it on sale at $ 23,900.00 which was a very good price, we bought this car at that price, no wheeling and dealing just an easy transaction and they gave us $ 1800.00 more for a trade in allowance than the Nissan dealership offered.
We took the car on a fairly long trip and I was sure pleased with the comfort and performance, we are covered with Hyundai's excellent warranty which we extended with the extra trade in allowance they gave us ,,, one of the best cars I have ever owned ,, love it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 bubbagump

bubbagump

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114646
GolfWRX Likes : 460

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Dont sleep on the Hyundais!

My parents have a Sonata and Santa Fe and then when I was looking for a car I was in between a 370z, Challenger, and Genesis Coupe.  The Genesis was the first car to test and it sure was nice.  Great priced and looks very nice.  Like you said, most people would never think about Hyundai but they make some solid vehicles.

I ended up with the 370z and love it, but the Genisis was super nice as well.  Enjoy!
9* TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 7.2
14* 3w TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 7.2
19* TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 9.8
5-PW TM 2009 Tour Preferred SS PX 6.5
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport
52*, 58* , 62* Vokeys with project x
WITB Link

#3 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 285

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Car shopping... the very FIRST thing I do is go and grab the clubs and see how they fit in the trunk. Before the test drive, before I even sit in it. No sense going any further if one can't fit two sets of clubs in the car. Then I see how I fit in the car.
Not all cars are created equal.

Enjoy your new ride.
PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

#4 Aimee

Aimee

Advanced

• Lady Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3411
  • Ebay ID:ak1504
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

View Postesketores, on 27 December 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Car shopping... the very FIRST thing I do is go and grab the clubs and see how they fit in the trunk. Before the test drive, before I even sit in it. No sense going any further if one can't fit two sets of clubs in the car. Then I see how I fit in the car.

Enjoy your new ride.
My husband and I did this when he was looking for a new car in the fall, the sales guy thought we were nuts when we asked him to pop the trunk before we went for the test drive (he wasn't a golfer).
Enjoy many road trips with the new wheels (and take your clubs!)
It's not how...it's how many

#5 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4805

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

i wish i lived in a place where i could buy  a wide assortment of sports cars.

Not many options for us in the north unless you have multiple cars. 4 wheel drive is important, or beyond that i prefer front wheel drive for snow. i'll probably get a new car soon, or relatively soon....Probably will splurge on a WRX STI or Lancer Evo. Want to have a fun car before i get too old and it just looks weird

Edited by MtlJeff, 28 December 2012 - 05:03 PM.

Cobra Amp Cell 8.5 w/Fujikura Fuel
Cobra Amp Cell 13 w/Fujikura Fuel
Ping G15 20* hybrid w/C taper
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#6 prestiege

prestiege

M to the I to Z to the UNO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88848
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

wife drives an 07 santa fe limited we bought brand new.  back in feb of 2010 i bought the early 2011 sonata gls pacific blue pearl.  i also take home a company truck and when gas started to sky rocket a few years back the company was cracking down on personal use of the trucks.  thats the reason for the sonata.  wife only had one issue with the santa fe, the lumbar support broke 2x.  other than that no issues at all so we stuck with hyundai for the sonata.

the genesis is one sweet car, i test drove one but couldnt afford the top of the line model.  if i ever buy a sports car i promised myself its gotta be the top tier model

#7 mshills

mshills

Consistently inconsistent.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139083
GolfWRX Likes : 264

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Ouch! Cars are expensive in Canada, eh? That price on the 370Z car is totally out of order!

Solid choice in the Genesis coupe, and I prefer the 2.0T to the heavier V6. I like car shopping - good thing, since I've owned something upwards of 20 vehicles in my 36 years on this planet :-)
Driver: Srixon Z-Star, Miyazaki Dromos
3w:  TEE CB2, Motore F1
3i - PW:  Mizuno MP52, S300
SW:  Ping ISI S2 BeCu
LW:  OG Ping Eye 2 BeCu
Putter:  Cleveland Almost Belly

#8 Shrapnac

Shrapnac

Cinderella Story

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199518
  • Handicap:Beer
GolfWRX Likes : 396

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostMtlJeff, on 28 December 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

i wish i lived in a place where i could buy  a wide assortment of sports cars.

Not many options for us in the north unless you have multiple cars. 4 wheel drive is important, or beyond that i prefer front wheel drive for snow. i'll probably get a new car soon, or relatively soon....Probably will splurge on a WRX STI or Lancer Evo. Want to have a fun car before i get too old and it just looks weird

I drive a 2011 WRX, you won't regret either one of those cars, they're so much fun to drive and are pretty good in the snow as long as you buy a second set of snow wheels and tires. The stock tires are high performance summer tires and not the best in snow.

#9 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

View Postesketores, on 27 December 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Enjoy your new ride.
Sacrifices must be made for the thrill of the open road. I can only reasonably fit one set of clubs in the coupe, but I don't have to tote anyone else to the course with me usually so it's all gravy. I have the truck when the need calls for it.

#10 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• 3,352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 670

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

To some, a car is a tool to get from point a to point b. That's why camries and corollas and sentras exist.

Then there are people that understand the Spirit of the drive. Thats where fun to drive cars come along.

I'm in the 2nd camp.

Buying is easy, as long as you don't NEED it. Be able to walk away From the deal if it doesnt work.

Heres an old pic of me from a few years ago....

Posted Image

Golf is cheaper now. :)

RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 buteman

buteman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153613
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:55 AM

View PostImp, on 29 December 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

To some, a car is a tool to get from point a to point b. That's why camries and corollas and sentras exist.

Then there are people that understand the Spirit of the drive. Thats where fun to drive cars come along.

I'm in the 2nd camp.

Buying is easy, as long as you don't NEED it. Be able to walk away From the deal if it doesnt work.

Heres an old pic of me from a few years ago....

Posted Image

Golf is cheaper now. :)
  Ah yes indeed,the rotary engine RX8, has to be # 1 in the " love 'em or hate 'em " category, when I was still in the work force we needed two cars, my wife had the Chev and I bought an RX8.
I loved the 900 km. round trip to the coast, what a really nice car that was and how smooth that rotaty engine kicked in @ 4500 rpm. I didn't give it a second look this time simply because the Genesis Coupe was bigger, less money, better warranty and most of all operating costs were miles cheaper.
The style of the RX8 will never be out of fashion but too bad Mazda didn't produce this car with a high output 4 cylinder or even a small V-6.
Anyone in the market for a used / new sports car would avoid this car ,, God awful fuel economy ,, terrible gas mileage for a small car and also the need to use premium gas. I noted that there was 37 used RX8's for sale in the lower mainland compared to eight 350 / 370 Z's and eleven Genesis Coupes.
None the less I loved my RX8, it handled great and so much fun to drive.

#12 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• 3,352 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Yep. You get it. Love the spirit, deal with the shortcomings. Many just can't.

Ps... I have an '00 S2000 now as a play car. Rawest of the raw S's. :)
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

#13 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostImp, on 30 December 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Yep. You get it. Love the spirit, deal with the shortcomings. Many just can't.

Ps... I have an '00 S2000 now as a play car. Rawest of the raw S's. :)
Getting around in one as well. The OG, sans clock, taching out at 9K.

#14 sblack5

sblack5

Long Armed Monster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183180
GolfWRX Likes : 428

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

My dd is a 2011 sti......but nowhere near stock.....totally rediculous
hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

#15 theonlybfc

theonlybfc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 213021
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I was surprised to find that my uncles Nissan GTR fits 2 sets of clubs in the trunk!

#16 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• 3,352 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Why? It's a big car.