Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Etiquette question

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 hawaiiandude

hawaiiandude

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57456
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

When the last guy holes out on the 18th green, everyone comes together and shakes each others hand and exchange pleasantries.

Now people take their hats off when doing so.  When did this become the norm? Does it make you more polite?

You see the PGA players do it all the time but as long as I have been playing this seems to be a more recent phenomenon.
People weren't doing this ten years ago, let alone 5 years ago.

I shake everyone's hand and tell them it was enjoyable round etc... but I don't take my hat off!

Thoughts?

Edited by hawaiiandude, 24 December 2012 - 02:32 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Man In The Miura

Man In The Miura

Heee heee heee!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97915
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

I hear ya.  When one guy does it, I feel like I have to as well.  So I just do.  Whatever.  It's just part of the routine.  It's hard to be too polite nowadays anyway.  A little extra can't hurt.

#3 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 665

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

It's a sign of respect allowing you to make eye contact during the handshake.

#4 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,704 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 1384

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

I find it an interesting new "tradition."

While I would in no way judge someone who doesn't do it harshly, I have to admit that those who do this come across as being particularly nice.

That's a very nice kind of bandwagon, so let's get on it!

#5 Turbs

Turbs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50814
  • Ebay ID:Turbo7337
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

I also remove sunglasses if I am wearing them, as mentioned in a prior post, its a sign of respect for your fellow players. I think its awesome... a fantastic oportunity to bring some of the "lost" manners from days gone by. My 3 year son old acompanies myself and grandpa when we play at the lake course and he is right in there shaking hands and thanking us for the round.

cheers.

#6 tmfool

tmfool

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Handicap:2.2
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

i get the question...

and if you read it closely - he is not asking why?

attempting to get at deeper root of question:

when did this become the norm?

and does it make you more polite?
'06 RAC Forged TP 3-PW +3/4"
TM ATV 50* & 58* +1/2"
R11 Rescue 18* Matrix Program
R9 TP 13* opened to 11.8* Diamana 83
R9 SuperDeep 10.5 RIP Alpha 70g stiff
Rife Trinidad 38" w/ BW grip

#7 Turbs

Turbs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50814
  • Ebay ID:Turbo7337
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

View Posttmfool, on 24 December 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

i get the question...

and if you read it closely - he is not asking why?

attempting to get at deeper root of question:

when did this become the norm?

and does it make you more polite?
I don't know when it became the norm, I have been playing golf since 1977 (14 year old playing muni's), and removing your hat was the norm then. As for part (B) I dont think it makes it more polite, its just the right thing to do....

cheers. turbs

#8 hawaiiandude

hawaiiandude

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Well im 45 and played competitive golf since I was 13.
My memory is that it was never done untill only recently.
I just went on youtube, and you can watch the last round of every Masters going back almost 20 years.
If you look at all the clips in the 90s, they did not take their hats off.
Freddy even kept his visor and sunglasses on!

Just sayin!

Edited by hawaiiandude, 24 December 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#9 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 568

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

I don't remember seeing it until Tiger came around. He did it every time.

#10 tmfool

tmfool

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Handicap:2.2
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostKILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE, on 24 December 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

I don't remember seeing it until Tiger came around. He did it every time.

i think you're on to something here - at least to the extent it was popularized by PGA Tour and driven by television

similar to the matching color of hat to shirt - which was a quick fad about 7-10yrs ago (still around for some)

'06 RAC Forged TP 3-PW +3/4"
TM ATV 50* & 58* +1/2"
R11 Rescue 18* Matrix Program
R9 TP 13* opened to 11.8* Diamana 83
R9 SuperDeep 10.5 RIP Alpha 70g stiff
Rife Trinidad 38" w/ BW grip

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 freddyottawa

freddyottawa

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147865
  • Handicap:36
GolfWRX Likes : 359

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

I've always done this. I hadn't really given it much thought until this question was posed. For me, I think it came from playing with some older golfers when I was much younger. Now it just seems like the right thing to do when shaking hands with others on the 18th. I also remove my sunglasses like a poster mentioned above also.

That being said, in no way do I find it disrespectful or poor etiquette for someone not to do this. I will keep doing it however.
JPX 825 Driver/3w
Anser 17* Hybrid
H4 3, 4 iron
CMB 5-PW
T4 52/58
Versa #7

#12 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• 4,388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 556

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

It is becoming more common, but the OP is right - it wasn't common back in time.  Even now, it is awkward if, at the end of a round, one person does or doesn't do it.  Sort of have to try and figure out your playing partners (if you don't know them) and what might happen.  At the very least, I'll take off my sunglasses and tilt up my hat so they can at see my face.  I'll also do it at the introductions.
RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg (on the way)
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
RH Vokey 52º, 56º 60º Spin Milled 2

#13 Newby

Newby

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93129
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

It is the norm in the UK.

It is and has been for centuries a sign of courtesy that gentlemen remove or tip their hats when shaking hands.
In the same way they remove hats when indoors (particularly when dining) and stand up when a lady enters the room.
It originates with medieval knights lifting their visors after jousting.

http://answers.yahoo...26193011AAOr8PU

Edited by Newby, 24 December 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#14 mdgboxx

mdgboxx

Put lipstick on a pig - - - it's still a pig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61336
  • Handicap:9.1
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

What I've noticed. We shake hands when we meet someone for the first time. We shake hands when we introduce ourselves (when matched with other people) on the first tee and, we DON'T take our hats off THEN. Common sense, tells us that we'll shake hands again when we part on the 18th.

When He holes out on the 18th, the Pro hands his putter to his caddy. Both his hands are free. I have my putter in one hand and I'm wearing a wide brim hat. I will shake hands with my playing partners but, I don't take my hat off. I can give a sincere handshake on the 18th, I also can go through the motion with someone improvising as a Teaching Pro, expert reader of a green from all sides, then end up with 40+ putts. You know, THAT Guy? Rest assured that the handshake won't be the same. Taking my hat off or not has nothing to do with how I feel at the time. I will however take off my sunglasses off if I'm wearing them. But, that's just ME, not the norm in any way.

Perhaps I should start giving hugs reeking of phony, like they do on the LPGA. If it disturbs you, THAT much, that I don't remove my hat on the 18th, then, YOU NEED a hug!

Edited by mdgboxx, 25 December 2012 - 05:05 PM.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg
3W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5° w/SV3005J, stf
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° w/SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW w/CFS reg @ D2
WEDGES: Ping Tour-S, 54°/10 & 60°/10
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weight

#15 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 17,297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 3880

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostNewby, on 24 December 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

It is and has been for centuries a sign of courtesy that gentlemen remove or tip their hats when shaking hands.
In the same way they remove hats when indoors (particularly when dining) and stand up when a lady enters the room.

Thanks Newby.

I've always removed my hat (and sunglasses if I'm wearing them). I guess it's the knight in me. :-)

#16 Mr. Bean

Mr. Bean

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146095
GolfWRX Likes : 193

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Precisely.

It gives me nausea to hear that people do not know how to behave on a golf course, let alone elsewhere! Not taking off one's hat when shaking hands with another person does not only show poor golf etiquette it shows poor manners in general. Same goes with wearing hats indoors (a cap is also a hat!).

O tempora, o mores... no manners anymore...

Edited by Mr. Bean, 25 December 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#17 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

I wonder if we aren't talking about two separate things. In the States, we commonly shake hands with playing partners at the beginning and at the end of the round as a sign of friendship. Doffing one's cap is a sign of respect that has its roots with our British ancestors and friends. Combined, shaking hands and doffing one's cap are a very powerful comment on the friendship and respect golfers should have for each other. Like many other expressions of etiquette,

I suppose this artifact of our past and cultures makes very little sense if we try to dissect them looking for any practical or logical utility. They belong to another time and another place in time for utility. They only belong in the "now" for what they mean. It is the responsibility of one generation to pass the meaning of these gestures to the next or risk having them pass away.

BTW - I have also heard that doffing one's cap should be done at the end of the round - even when playing alone - as a sign of respect to the course.

#18 FLOGMR

FLOGMR

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131781
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostMr. Bean, on 25 December 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

Precisely.

It gives me nausea to hear that people do not know how to behave on a golf course, let alone elsewhere! Not taking off one's hat when shaking hands with another person does not only show poor golf etiquette it shows poor manners in general. Same goes with wearing hats indoors (a cap is also a hat!).

+1000 on those comments.....actual manners are a quickly disappearing part of modern life. At 66 I am old enough to remember when all these things were common place...... Alas...no more!! Sad to watch.
Is it too hard to lift your cap/hat and shake hands with someone you have just spend 1/2 a day with??
It has always been a part of golf where I play.

Edited by FLOGMR, 25 December 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#19 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:6.7
GolfWRX Likes : 674

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Precisely.

Maybe I'm just in a cranky mood tonight, but your post is pretentious b.s. and quoting Yahoo is ludicrous.   Do a little more research and while you see that while  *some* so-called "experts" claim removing one's hat is proper hat etiquette, just as many will disagree that it is recommended etiquette when ENDING a conversation with a peer.

Look at photos of golf tournaments for the last 50 years and you'll see it was hardly ever done, until Elrod decided he wanted to embarrass and intimidate other players.  In my opinion, he single handedly created the issue over the last 15 years or so.   You surely don't see it in many other sports that I've ever seen.

#20 Mr. Bean

Mr. Bean

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146095
GolfWRX Likes : 193

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostBrianL99, on 25 December 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

Precisely.

Maybe I'm just in a cranky mood tonight, but your post is pretentious b.s. and quoting Yahoo is ludicrous.   Do a little more research and while you see that while  *some* so-called "experts" claim removing one's hat is proper hat etiquette, just as many will disagree that it is recommended etiquette when ENDING a conversation with a peer.

Well, isn't that what we are talking about here? Ending a round of golf..?

I agree, you are in a cranky mood. There is no justification for bad manners, and a person tipping of lifting his hat when shaking hands or saying hello to others shows good manners doing it, no matter how you look at it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Ghost_Orchid

Ghost_Orchid

Golf Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37491
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't.  I play golf by the Rules of Golf, and I don't recall reading anywhere where you have to take your hat off.  I sometimes wear my hat a little crooked (its still functional because it still keep the sun from my eyes), sometimes I'm untucked, sometimes I wear dirty cleats; however I do fix my divots (and others divots), I keep up with the group in front of me and I won't talk during your backswing.  I'm on the course to golf!

To the OP, I don't know where the hats off tradition comes from, but its not one I usually follow.

#22 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

To my friends who are scornful of the practice of taking off one's hat when shaking hands at the end of a golf match, please do what you think best. No one may even notice and fewer will care. However, I can say without a doubt that if you do observe the proprieties, people will notice. You will place yourself in elite company. You brand yourself who cares about being respectful of others. It's a small club but it costs almost nothing to join and the benefits can last a lifetime.

#23 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

View Postmdgboxx, on 24 December 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

What I've noticed. We shake hands when we meet someone for the first time. We shake hands when we introduce ourselves (when matched with other people) on the first tee and, we DON'T take our hats off THEN. Common sense, tells us that we'll shake hands again when we part on the 18th.

I do take my hat off when shaking hands with someone, on the golf course or off.   I was taught it as a child.   It's a matter of manners.   Maybe it's a southern thing.   People were doing it 10 years ago.   They were doing it 30 years ago.   Your grandfather probably removed his hat when greeting someone.   It's where "tipping your cap" came from.  

I notice when other people don't remove their hats, too.

Edited by jwrogers, 25 December 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#24 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Amen to profsmitty, btw.   Well said.

#25 Str8Shot

Str8Shot

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217583
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

I think this has been common practice for some sports like golf and baseball after a round but maybe not common at your local course or who you play with. I mean for some people it is just shown out of respect for multiple reasons. I don't think it makes you a bad person for not doing so but I would say I would ask the people I play with if it bothers them you do not remove your hat after shaking hands! Just my 2 cents on the whole idea.

Ping G30 10.5* GD AD BB 6X
PING 18* MATRIX TP7HD
PING i25 3-Pw NIPPON SPO
TVD-M TX3 VOKEY 50* 56* 60* KBS HI Rev
Odyssey GSS Prototype

#26 Newby

Newby

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93129
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:13 AM

Someone who has been brought up to be polite and therefore expect others to be polite would be too well mannered to make any comment if common courtesy is not followed.

#27 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• 10,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
GolfWRX Likes : 1021

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

View Postprofsmitty, on 25 December 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

To my friends who are scornful of the practice of taking off one's hat when shaking hands at the end of a golf match, please do what you think best. No one may even notice and fewer will care. However, I can say without a doubt that if you do observe the proprieties, people will notice. You will place yourself in elite company. You brand yourself who cares about being respectful of others. It's a small club but it costs almost nothing to join and the benefits can last a lifetime.

Great post!
I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
========================================
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE
========================================

#28 hawaiiandude

hawaiiandude

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Again, I will say this to all those that say its the "right" thing to do and that its always been done...
Go on and watch old golf tournaments, especially in the 90's and 80's.
You can go on youtube and watch Masters, US Open, Open Championship, whatever.
You will see it was not done 90% of the time!!

When Faldo beat Norman at the Masters, Norman kept his famous black brimmed straw hat on when shaking Faldo's hand!
Faldo, however, wasn't wearing a hat to take off (he hardly ever wore a hat).

When Floyd won his Masters, he didn't take off his visor!
When Freddy won his Masters, he kept his sunglasses and visor on!

I can go on and on.  Are you saying these people didn't have manners? Bollocks!
It was just the sign of the times.

Edited by hawaiiandude, 26 December 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#29 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
GolfWRX Likes : 360

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

I ALWAYS take my hat and sunglasses off to show respect and appreciation for my playing partners courtesy and more importantly company during the round. This world is so full of nothingness anymore I actually enjoy any opportunity to distinguish myself and display good sportsmanship, it's what defines our game from so many others. Regardless of rules old or new I think it's a true shame that some can not see the many benefits of being a gentleman...BB

Edited by Big Ben, 26 December 2012 - 10:48 AM.

Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Titty 913H, Adams DHy, Titty 712u
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

#30 Kaysquare

Kaysquare

Puppyluv

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76012
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

I have a question.  I don't really care if you take your hats off or not, but could you walk to your carts or whatever & do your handshakes & hugs so the people playing behind you can hit their shots to the green?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors