Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Stories from the past # 3 or # 4! Playing in the sand.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wally8888

wally8888

Wally888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141133
  • Ebay ID:wally888
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Did you know at one time a lot of courses had sand greens?
I started playing golf in 1955. Played a few rounds at "Lake of the Woods" , in IL. We called it lake of the weeds.
Shortly thereafter I found myself at Clark AFB in the Philippine Islands. Pretty nice course but greens were sand as were the greens in Baguio a military resort ( Camp John Hay, Army) at an altitude of about 5,000 feet.
Also the greens (don't know why they called them greens) in Okinawa were sand however instead of being brown they were almost black. Not black sand originally but brown sand treated with oil (used aircraft engine oil I presume). Got any idea why?
Cause high winds would blow regular sand away!
Chipping was a real art as the ball rarely rolled very far. Most of us resorted to pitching only and you could try to land each shot very close to the pin.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 wally8888

wally8888

Wally888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141133
  • Ebay ID:wally888
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

More sand!
In the 90's I moved to Hawkinsville, Ga. to an area known as Pine Level in the city limits.
Some time later I met a native who remembered my back yard as being part of a par 5 sometime in the 30's. I was living on a golf course that had sand greens. It went under during the depression..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors