Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What's the most surprising course you've ever played?

In a good way.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 adamjstl

adamjstl

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120792
  • Handicap:2.6
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Anytime I'm going to play a new course, I will spend time researching online. This includes the course website, Golf Digest/Golf/Golfweek rankings, and various review sites. I love playing new places. Of course, I get more excited about some than others. Sometimes you can play a course without much hype and just be blown away when you get there. So, what are the best "surprises" you have played?

Mine:

1. Spirit Hollow: Wow. Just a great course that anyone can enjoy. And being in Iowa, you wouldn't expect a whole lot in terms of scenery/wow factor. Wrong. Beautiful place with a great layout and only $65. Worth a weekend trip for anyone within 6 hours.

2. Capstone Club of Alabama: I think we payed $50 for 36 holes (2006). This is a wild, stunning course. A definite must-play for anyone in the Birmingham area.

3. Osage National (River/Mountain): I am shocked this course doesn't get more acclaim. A fun, playable Palmer design with a roller coaster back nine.

One thing I've found over and over again is this: Just because Golf Digest/Golf/Golfweek rate it highly does not mean everything. I've played at least a dozen of the top 100 public courses over the past 7-8 years, and what they see if not always what I see.

Just because Fazio, Dye, or Hills is the architect does not mean everything.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ram01002

ram01002

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1598
GolfWRX Likes : 657

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Bandon Trails was my favorite golf course at Bandon Dunes resort - - gets the least amount of love, but I can't wait to go back!

#3 chsneggs

chsneggs

chsneggs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176992
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

good topic adam  ....

Ormond Beach ....  Plantation Bay .....  Club de Bonmont ...intimidating from the tee box, on approaches and the fear of the three puttt with every hole ....

postcard or calender worthy every hole .....holy smokes .... and we played in the rain ....
Ping G 10 stock reg
Titleist 910 project X
Yonex 19*
eye 2 1986 3 - lw
odyssey 9 counterbalanced
WITB Link

#4 mallrat

mallrat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
GolfWRX Likes : 1453

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

View Postram01002, on 20 December 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

Bandon Trails was my favorite golf course at Bandon Dunes resort - - gets the least amount of love, but I can't wait to go back!

Amazed me too. I love Trails, don't know if it's my favorite but I can't believe it gets the least amount of love there.

For me, I asked the director of golf at our club if he could get me on the Fazio Course at Pronghorn. Holy guacamole batman. No idea what to expect as it's a private course and there are only a couple pictures out there. Never been taken better care of. Pro V1's & V1x's on the range. They only charged me $180 when guests were supposed to pay $375.

The other as Big Sky north of Whistler. Good rates and had to hit every club in my bag

#5 theonlybfc

theonlybfc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 213021
  • Handicap:8.4
  • Ebay ID:TheOnlyBFC
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Brasada Ranch outside of Bend, OR. I never pass up the opportunity to play there.

#6 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17501

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Wannamoisett in Rhode Island. Donald Ross said it was his favorite design, and Ben Crenshaw said it has some of the toughest greens he ever putted. The Northeast Amateur (an invitational), is played here annually, and has featured some of the biggest names in golf when they were amateurs.

A great test of golf, without all the modern folderol.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#7 Petethreeput

Petethreeput

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146815
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Amazingly, the Old Course was the most pleasant surprise.  It, for me, was truly more than just the course.  Just being there, playing there, everything was greater than I expected... and everyone knows what they hear, read, etc about the place.

In the states, I really enjoyed St Clair Country Club outside Pittsburgh PA, just lucked onto it with a friend.  Don't really ever hear about it, but I thought it was fabulous.  Much better than I expected.

Public course?  A rocky mountain gem.  Old Works in Anaconda, MT.  For $55 with a cart, the course is in great shape, and it sits on a superfund site.  Simply, it just works in between the hills and Silver Bow Creek, and it is a great place to play, and the intent of the course is a real draw for me.

#8 VinceFurnier

VinceFurnier

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126072
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Old Macdonald - Bandon. It's like playing on the moon. Monstrous greens, huge elevation changes, blind shots over 50 foot dune walls. Study the yardage book all you want, you just can't prepare yourself for the place. I can't wait to play it again.

#9 Par-A-Medic

Par-A-Medic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179188
  • Ebay ID:swvafiremedic
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Tobacco Road.

I looked at picture after picture, but they don't do it justice. In my opinion they make it look worse than it really is. I played to my handicap first time out. It is visually intimidating but aslong as you are a decent ball striker you can get around it, play a different kind of golf, and take the lesson home and use it at your course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors