Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Options for a lefty

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jsnmllr314

jsnmllr314

Jason Miller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209565
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

I'm looking at buying a new putter. Been playing an Odyssey #1 Hot forever. Interested I playing a mallet instead of a blade. I believe my only option with Camereon is the Calfornian Del Ray. I putted some with the Odyssey metal X #9. Liked it. But would probably want something like Mickelson is playing. Pro type #9ht high toe. But heard it wasn't going to be offered in the US. I'm know I don't want a plumbers neck shaft. My swing coach told me that he has a never compromise mallet in lefty. Anyone have any suggestions? But seriously... Can you go wrong buying a Scotty putter?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 That Bob Guy

That Bob Guy

Never settle!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125497
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

IMHO, yes you can go wrong with a Scotty Cameron putter. They seem to have a cult following, but I believe they're over-rated.
They can prove to be an expensive experiment as well. I own around a dozen, so I too have fallen for a pretty face many times.
Heel shafted putters like the Del Mar don't posess a large sweet spot (MOI), and aren't for everyone. You don't see many being
used on tour.
So, your quest begins. Get comfortable, it's generally a lifetime journey.

#3 jsnmllr314

jsnmllr314

Jason Miller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Well it definitely looks like the fixed putter has its days numbered. So that does it for the mid or belly putter. I thought a mallet would be the most forgiving. I know that I could save a lot of strokes on my putting so I was figuring that it would be best to upgrade their since I just got a brand new set if jpx 825's. Sure beats the 20 year old oversized cobras I had been playing with... Just was wondering if anyone had any suggestions before I drop a wad of money on a putter...so at least I'd hit everything before make an irrational decision... Thanks

#4 thomasnevue

thomasnevue

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216263
  • Ebay ID:openroadimports
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

best bet for lefty, as i am one, is to go get fitted for a putter.  You should pay, as that seems to be the only way to get the proper fitting advice (dicks did for me for free and was all wrong), by a professional.  They will give you the loft and lie you will require.  I know that anchored putters are going away, at least that you can anchor them in a few years most likely.  Then again 34-35 inch putters can be irritating on the back as well leaning over like that....what I did...I went with a 43 inch..order a scotty cameron in the loft and lie you found you need from the fitting... in a heavier weight as i did ...kept my swing plane even...then I added there biggest bottom 25 gram wieghts, send to there custom shop ...get it customized to your liking...or even painted first as I dont beleive they will paint them..then get the putter at the exact length your pro reccommended for you 33-49 inches.  I say order in 43 inches because it allows you to stand up more straight when putting,...thus better on the back, and i have noticed being lefty and left eye dominant that i can line up a putt mucy better standing straighter then leaning to my 35 inch putter...try it...worked for me,,, i was a 21 handicap....im a 14 ....once my irons are made 2 inches longer i hope to crack 10 this year.  good luck bro...!

#5 jsnmllr314

jsnmllr314

Jason Miller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the advice man. I'm probably going with the Scotty Cameron putter. I'll get fitted at Golfsmith. I am left eye dominant also. I'm sure that has effects on eye up putts for me. I want to stay away from an anchored putter though.  I guess I'll go there and ask a lot of questions and hopefully they do a good job on fitting me. Thought it would be better to suave more strokes by putting better. Putting between 35-42 putts per round isn't that good. I'm a mid 90's player so I'm probably a 25. My father said he'd get me on Pine Valley if I have a 20 hcp....but I wan be the best I can be.

#6 taygolf52

taygolf52

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92010
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

I am a lefty also the the lack of club selection can get frustrating for sure. I got fitted for my putter that I orderd custom from Sunset Beach Putters and it has been my gamer for 2 seasons now and I love it. I highly reccommend you giving them a call. It didnt cost any more than a new scotty and is completely custom fit for me!

T

#7 USA Milled

USA Milled

Tour Winner

• Sponsors
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203907
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:Bettinardiltd
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Bettinardi has a few lefty options for this year. The BB1 and BB54 are both available in lefty for $299.

http://bettinardiltd...tions/bb-series

Jimmy

#8 pat007

pat007

Long Ball Silver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48492
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

How about a TaylorMade Manta center-shafted?

#9 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
GolfWRX Likes : 569

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I really like #9 shaped putters, but absolutely hated the Del Mar. I had it for approx. 3 weeks before selling it.

If you want a #9 shape, stick with Odyssey. The Black Series are the best, far better than the ProType IMO. I have been looking everywhere for a leftie #9 HT, even getting my cousin in Japan to trawl some golf shops... all to no avail. If you find one I will be incredibly jealous.

If you want a leftie Scotty Cameron, go for a GoLo. I have had one in my bag for about a year, and it's the best putter I have ever used.
Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors