Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Temporary Work Relocation Advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jacoby

Jacoby

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8484
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hi Everybody,

I may be relocating temporarily (3+ months) for work.  I've not done this before and I am looking for some advice.  I'd be going from Oregon to NC.    Anybody here have a similar work experience?

I've got no specifics yet from my job but some questions I have are:

housing:  obviously a rental, but with a house in Oregon I can't float two payments.  Would the employer typically cover or supplement this expense?

Vehicle:  no company car, so I would either need a long term rental or drive my car or have it shipped out there.  Again, to those who have gone here before me, what has been your experience?

expenses, per diem, etc.  Were you provided with a pay bump during your time away to cover incidentals and such?

Thanks for the advice!

Jacoby

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 teeitlow

teeitlow

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108646
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

As a contractor my set up would be quite different than that of an employee, however when I was a young saw just chasing scribes, I had a gas card, a daily per diem, and housing was provided, I also got a substantial boost in pay. I would believe your employer would be providing the same, if not...I would think twice about working for that particular employer. Anyways best to get your travel package all worked out prior to leaving town.
-D

#3 Falang_Golfer

Falang_Golfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50791
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

In my line of work that would be a short term relocation.  Less than a year.  Would expect from the employer long stay hotel, rental car, and per diem.  Like a business trip.  Not much else though.  That is pretty standard.
Ping G25 9.5 - Diamana D+
Ping G20 3h - Tour TFC
Ping Rapture J 3-PW w/ Rombax 115i
Ping G25 SW - CFS X
Ping G25 LW - CFS X
Odyssey Black Series #9

#4 lightningbolt444

lightningbolt444

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36801
  • Ebay ID:lightning-JHR
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

View PostFalang_Golfer, on 15 December 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

In my line of work that would be a short term relocation.  Less than a year.  Would expect from the employer long stay hotel, rental car, and per diem.  Like a business trip.  Not much else though.  That is pretty standard.

This is how my company would handle it as well.
Where in NC are you relocating to?

#5 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 757

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I concur.  I've done a few short (2-3 month) gigs, and it's extended stay suite, gas, and food.  No extra income.  It does usually work out though since you save a lot of money you'd blow day to day.  If they give you a per diem, hit the grocery store and pocket a good amount, or at least eat cheap during the week to have fun on the weekends.  If it's expensed per meal like mine, then you'll probably eat out for the first little while then still end up at the grocery store after getting sick of it.

Now if you will incur additional expenses because of this, bring them up.  Something like needing to hire a lawn crew to cut your grass that you usually do yourself.  Also work out details regarding them flying you back home on occasion, especially if there are holidays involved.

When you're gone, you can likely suspend some services like internet and cable to save yourself some cash.  They might charge you a small maintenance fee, but not much.

#6 Jacoby

Jacoby

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8484
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Thanks everybody!

It's looking like Charlotte for at least 2 months.  They are going to cover travel to and from Charlotte, housing (extended stay America) and a rental car.   They are offering pre-tax spending of $500 per month to cover food, gas, and incidentals.

I'm thinking of asking for at least $650 to $700 pre-tax spending.  $500 sounded like a lot at first, but then they said it was before it was added to my check.

#7 lightningbolt444

lightningbolt444

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36801
  • Ebay ID:lightning-JHR
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

View PostJacoby, on 22 December 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Thanks everybody!

It's looking like Charlotte for at least 2 months.  They are going to cover travel to and from Charlotte, housing (extended stay America) and a rental car.   They are offering pre-tax spending of $500 per month to cover food, gas, and incidentals.

I'm thinking of asking for at least $650 to $700 pre-tax spending.  $500 sounded like a lot at first, but then they said it was before it was added to my check.

That is not very good at all. We get all our gas paid for all our housing and then we get $65 A DAY for food. Just for food but our gas is always taken care of even if we are in town just a perk of the job. I understand 65 is a good bit per day for food but 500 per month does not sound even close to on par if your gas is not taken care of as well.

#8 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 290

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

If you are on the road for say a week... how much per day do they allow you to expense for food?
Gas, car, and lodging at 100%
The call about taking care of things at home while you are gone is a good call. After all you are doing them a favor.
Make sure you get all bill payments set up for online payments.
And because you are doing them a favor. Foresaking the comforts of home... there should be extra benefits/pay.
PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors