Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Back to Mr. Hogan ,, plus new equipment.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 buteman

buteman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153613
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Without question we golfers from young McIlroy to a senior golfer in his mid sixties like myself we all have the same desire ,,, to improve. I played just over eighty rounds this past season and ended up with a fairly respectable nine handicap. I bought new irons before the season started ( Ping i20's ) beautiful clubs and the feel off a flushed shot was second to none.
My nemesis ( and it has been for years ) has been the hook with the long clubs, driver, fairway woods and hybrids and I did battle with the hook this season. Nothing overly drastic but it does jump up and bite me especially when there is O.B. left and it sure can put me into a load of trouble then I have to depend on my good short game to salvage my scores.
Of course it's a swing flaw but no more lessons from teaching pros. sad to say but there are more hustlers in that profession than there is pros. who will really take an interest in the actual reason you are there with them.
Sorry but that's just my opinion from experience ,,, anyway I'm heading back to basics, the fundamentals and Mr. Hogan's book and I plan to build my golf swing around the teaching in this book.
I've been told numerous times that my grip, stance and posture ( which Hogan starts his book off with ) are excellent. I work out at the gym daily and I still have that flexibility that enables me to make a full backswing so I plan to be in a much better position at the top of my swing especially with my driver.
I will be working on a better position at the top as I have always had a flat swing and most of all swinging through the ball to a high finish.
I will be working with the club fitter at my local Golf Town to find as perfect a driver as we can and it's all about the shaft, a driver ( regardless of brand ) with a neutral face and a shaft that matches my swing. I could care less about the cost I just want to feel that I have the best driver in my hand then the rest is up to me.
I used my 12 degree T.E.E. driver most of the season and apart from the sound at impact I liked that driver but it is typical of non adjustable drivers, it has a closed face which I certainly don't need.
So back to basics and we shall see where we end up, it's a challenge indeed but an enjoyable one ,,, have a great day.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Pinsplitter59

Pinsplitter59

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132387
GolfWRX Likes : 264

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

nicely said buteman.
and i am in agreement with much of what you say.
i am now 60 and have for the last few years been practicing a lot , my goal being to find a good easily repeatable swing to take me into old age.
I also have given up on lessons from pros , they are useless and hopeless (here in Aus.).
I am watching the Thailand open on TV now, looking at golf swings there I can only think, well it can't be so hard can it?
its a simple thing really, so why is it that the average joe can't do it well and the average pro have no idea how to teach it.
that to me is the great mystery.
apart from the other great mystery which is why can't i do it?

I do believe that if you are a reasonable swinger then all problems you might have go back to something basic.
I often go the range with the idea of "starting again", throwing away everything and going back to basics.
I haven't found my solution yet but i believe that is the way to find it.
I have been down the many roads of weird and wonderful moves which might work for 10 seconds.

The late Kel Nagle, in his old age, not having played for ages, dropped a ball on a fairway took a 7 iron , hit the ball and holed it.
That's the kind of swing we want.
I don't care if I have to hit a 3 iron to go 190 yards as long as i hit it well and with the control i want.

In recent years also I have been going backwards with equipment to more traditional clubs.
Now i switch between Mizuno MP32, Wilson Staff FG59 and Epon AF-Tour irons.

My belief is that with a good short game and reasonably good putting and the swing we will both find, we can both shoot par every time we play.
par is not difficult if you know where the ball is going.
my handicap has varied from 2 - 6 over the last year and that's with no golf swing, just a mess of different moves and jerks and having absolutely no idea what i am doing during the swing.
it is no fantasy that its possible.
we all make great swings occasionally, so  its there to be found and kept.
maybe this could be the Old Man's Reinvention thread.

I would be very keen to follow your progress, so I hope you keep posting.

#3 buteman

buteman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153613
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

View PostPinsplitter59, on 09 December 2012 - 01:06 AM, said:

nicely said buteman.
and i am in agreement with much of what you say.
i am now 60 and have for the last few years been practicing a lot , my goal being to find a good easily repeatable swing to take me into old age.
I also have given up on lessons from pros , they are useless and hopeless (here in Aus.).
I am watching the Thailand open on TV now, looking at golf swings there I can only think, well it can't be so hard can it?
its a simple thing really, so why is it that the average joe can't do it well and the average pro have no idea how to teach it.
that to me is the great mystery.
apart from the other great mystery which is why can't i do it?

I do believe that if you are a reasonable swinger then all problems you might have go back to something basic.
I often go the range with the idea of "starting again", throwing away everything and going back to basics.
I haven't found my solution yet but i believe that is the way to find it.
I have been down the many roads of weird and wonderful moves which might work for 10 seconds.

The late Kel Nagle, in his old age, not having played for ages, dropped a ball on a fairway took a 7 iron , hit the ball and holed it.
That's the kind of swing we want.
I don't care if I have to hit a 3 iron to go 190 yards as long as i hit it well and with the control i want.

In recent years also I have been going backwards with equipment to more traditional clubs.
Now i switch between Mizuno MP32, Wilson Staff FG59 and Epon AF-Tour irons.

My belief is that with a good short game and reasonably good putting and the swing we will both find, we can both shoot par every time we play.
par is not difficult if you know where the ball is going.
my handicap has varied from 2 - 6 over the last year and that's with no golf swing, just a mess of different moves and jerks and having absolutely no idea what i am doing during the swing.
it is no fantasy that its possible.
we all make great swings occasionally, so  its there to be found and kept.
maybe this could be the Old Man's Reinvention thread.

I would be very keen to follow your progress, so I hope you keep posting.

I enjoyed reading your reply, very interesting, yes indeed going back to basics that in itself can do none of us any harm. I am a firm believer that we can lean simply by watching better players.
One has to ask, what do they all have in common ? to me the answer is simple ,,, their finish. No matter whether their ball hooks, slices, pop up or whatever they ALL finish their swing.
I went for a thirteen game roll last year where I broke 80 every game (from 72 - 79 ) my focus was relatively simple, a complete finish through the ball combined with a very soft grip.
I live in central British Columbia, we await the first snow, my golf season has ended and my focus during this off season shall be on Hogan's book. Between going back to basics, my daily gym routine and ( what I hope will be ) perfectly fitted woods in my bag I plan to take a very positive approach to my golf when the new season begins.
Dedicated work on the short game has been highly beneficial, my three playing partners continually lament their woes with their short game and praise mine ,, can't understand why they never spend a minute working on theirs ,, have a great day and yes, once I start rolling I shall post my progress and opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors