Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Matrix Shafts Q&A: The new X3 "White Tie" shaft

matrix white tie black tie red tie joe miera

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 zakkozuchowski

zakkozuchowski

GolfWRX Managing Editor

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59676
GolfWRX Likes : 267

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Posted Image

Matrix Shafts Q&A: The new X3 "White Tie" shaft

Joe Miera, Director of Tour Operations for Matrix Shafts, has been fitting tour players with Matrix shafts for 10 years. He took the time to answer questions from GolfWRX Managing Editor Zak Kozuchowski about his company's new product line. Scroll to the bottom for specs.

ZK: Last year Matrix released its M3 “Black Tie” shaft. Now, we’re seeing photos of tour players testing the X3 “White Tie” shaft. Who do these shafts target and how do they differ?

JM: Every year Matrix strives to improve performance of all golfers through shaft innovations. We are continuing to fill our Matrix Flight System portfolio with shafts, the M3 “Black Tie” replaced the FM2 and is low-launch, low-spin shaft. The X3 “White Tie” replaced the X-Con, which is a high-launch, low-spin shaft. We will also be releasing the highly anticipated Q3 “Red Tie,” which replaces the HD Series, and is a mid-launch, mid spin shaft, completing the new Matrix Flight System (MFS).

ZK: What about these shafts make them perform in the way that they do, and where do the names come from?

JM: Aside from some of the structural patents like the 16-sided hexadecagonal internal chassis and our manufacturing techniques, we developed a DEC (Deformation of Energy Curve) modeling system that is vastly superior to designing on a traditional EI Curve. That’s what gives us the ability to leapfrog some older design ideas. The combination of color and letters in the new MFS allowed us to simplify things for greater understanding. For people that remember colors well, it’s red (mid-launch), black (low-launch) and white (high-launch), which happen to be our corporate colors. For those that can think of the Alphabet vertically off the ground -- A being the lowest -- they can picture the apex of the ball at the letter M, a bit higher for Q and higher yet for X. It’s comprehensive, but a simple memory tool for players, tour reps and fitters.

ZK: When will these shafts be available and how much will they cost?

JM: The OZIK M3 Black Tie and OZIK X3 White Tie shafts are available now and the OZIK Q3 Red Tie will be available in early January 2013. The MSRP for each will be $375.

Posted Image

ZK: What are the tolerances?

JM:  As you may know, Matrix started as many years ago as a boutique product, available only through clubmakers.  We have never wavered from the lessons learned along the way from them.  The input helped Matrix become a leader in the field of shaft manufacturing and we are very proud of our reputation for having exacting standards. It may not be well known by some of your readers but our system is set up in such a way that all Matrix Shafts follow the same manufacturing process and procedures as the OZIK TP line.

ZK: We’ve heard from fitters that Matrix shafts tend to produce very good ball speeds for golfers. Why is this?

JM:  Advanced design tools and materials are key ingredients in shaft development, while advanced production techniques allow companies to push the envelope of what is possible to produce. While it’s an open secret on tour that many players gain as much as 4 mph of ball speed using our shafts over conventionally designed shafts, (COO) Daniel You and his team are unlikely to give the recipe to the rest of the world. That being said, the structural design and manufacturing of our shafts is considerably different compared to how most traditional shafts are made. We don’t introduce and release products just to do it. We do it to build a better mousetrap, so to speak.  The forward momentum of design, advancement of materials and the application of lessons learned help us incrementally move forward from previous models. We like to believe that our increments are just a bit bigger than expected.

ZK: There’s a lot of talk about shaft inconsistency – one company’s stiff flex can be another’s regular flex, and vice versa. How do you determine how stiff to make your regular flex, stiff flex, etc.?

JM: That’s a great question. It’s also a very difficult question to answer. As manufacturers, we each have to make our own decisions as to what we are going to design and implement as our flexes. There are no accepted standards for testing protocols or overseeing body in golf shafts. To decide on our flexes, we utilize player and robot testing and base our flexes on ideal maximum deflection at a given swing speed.

ZK: What do you see as being more important in the shaft industry going forward: materials or construction methods?

JM: Another great question, but you can’t separate the two. Our aim from day one has been to make the finest golf shafts available. In order to do that it has to be a holistic approach combined with sweating the small stuff. Using the very best materials in the world and combining it with mediocre manufacturing produces truly flawed products in our estimation. Alternately, if you are not willing to use cutting edge materials you won’t be able to produce the best shaft available. In simpler terms, a drag racer does not use fuel with a lower octane when trying to maximize performance. However, I believe that the key to producing the finest shafts in each class is having world-class design and manufacturing.  At that point, a design engineer can choose materials to fit the price categories golfers are comfortable with.

Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Nice one! I'm off down to my fitters on Friday to try the new X3. As he has just had them delivered to his studio. So it will really interesting to check out.

#3 pga43

pga43

GolfWRX.com's Tour Photographer

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 6,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123025
GolfWRX Likes : 1027

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Great questions Zak & thanks to Joe for taking the time to answer them for GolfWRX.com

Greg
GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

#4 Bogey's Belly

Bogey's Belly

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171707
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

I had a chance to get my hands on a prototype of this late this summer, but passed.  Good looking shaft, hard to go wrong with a Matrix.

#5 swanry30

swanry30

Lights Out

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,629 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14598
  • Ebay ID:swanry30
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

look for OEMs to pick this up in their 2013 shaft offering - as it will work very well for a majority of golfers.  looks like another great shaft from MATRIX.  interested in the Q as it will be a great fw shaft.  i also really like the simplicity for the fitters in the alphabet like description in flight:

X

Q

M

Edited by swanry30, 03 December 2012 - 04:22 PM.

Nike CT 2.0 9.5* - Motore Speeder 7.2TS
Nike CT 2.0 13* - Motore Speeder 8.2TS
Nike CP 17* hybrid - TOUR AD DI 95x
Nike 2014 Split Cavity 3-PW - PX 6.5
WITB Link
Nike Oven Proto 003 - SS Ultra Slim 1.0
Nike Raw VR Forged 54.12 / 58.10

#6 Bogey's Belly

Bogey's Belly

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

This would be comparable to a AD-di, correct?

#7 Zach Heusser

Zach Heusser

#insideTMAG

• Marshals
  • 3,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77
  • Handicap:pro

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostBogey, on 03 December 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

I am also curious about this.  Last year I played the HD7 and loved it.  I am looking to go all Matrix this year.
Thanks
Zach
Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course
Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2014
Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012
Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University
My WITB

http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/

#8 SkyyDesigns

SkyyDesigns

Nor-Cal Scratch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63350
  • Handicap:+2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Been a Diamana man most my golfing life until last season when I switched to the Matrix Ozik black tie 7M3 shaft. Dispersion is tight and feel in transition is one of the best shafts I've ever swung. Now the white has come out maybe will match my Tour RBZ tp will have to check it out.
SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

#9 swanry30

swanry30

Lights Out

• 3,629 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14598
  • Ebay ID:swanry30
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostKascoPro, on 03 December 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

I am also curious about this.  Last year I played the HD7 and loved it.  I am looking to go all Matrix this year.
Thanks
Zach

my thoughts are based on the original X-CON series vs. the DI... more than likely the DI6 and 6X3 would have a very similar initial launch and apex.  however, i would expect the DI7 and 7X3 to be different in apex - the DI7 being lower.  for me the DI7 was more comparable in apex to the 7M3 - yet the initial launch of the M series was lower.
Nike CT 2.0 9.5* - Motore Speeder 7.2TS
Nike CT 2.0 13* - Motore Speeder 8.2TS
Nike CP 17* hybrid - TOUR AD DI 95x
Nike 2014 Split Cavity 3-PW - PX 6.5
WITB Link
Nike Oven Proto 003 - SS Ultra Slim 1.0
Nike Raw VR Forged 54.12 / 58.10

#10 Bogey's Belly

Bogey's Belly

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Thanks
Zach

I just looked it up;

The OZIK X3 White Tie is the newer version of the OZIK XCON, performing with the same high launch, low spinning characteristics.

​The AD DI is also low spin high launch.  

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Zach Heusser

Zach Heusser

#insideTMAG

• Marshals
  • 3,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77
  • Handicap:pro

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Bogey

View PostBogey, on 03 December 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

Thanks
Zach

I just looked it up;

The OZIK X3 White Tie is the newer version of the OZIK XCON, performing with the same high launch, low spinning characteristics.

Thanks Bogey!  I am going to look into these and give them a try.
Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course
Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2014
Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012
Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University
My WITB

http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/

#12 KCCO

KCCO

Tour Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138532
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostSkyyDesigns, on 03 December 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

Been a Diamana man most my golfing life until last season when I switched to the Matrix Ozik black tie 7M3 shaft. Dispersion is tight and feel in transition is one of the best shafts I've ever swung. Now the white has come out maybe will match my Tour RBZ tp will have to check it out.
7M3 is my favorite of all, but have just about everyone, the Ozik Altus in my hybrid is smooth as butter, that's when I started putting them in everything....love my launch angle, smash/ball speed work great for me. They have great shaft technology, great design, and like it was explained in the interview they keep it simple yet premium craftsmanship.....may just have to get a putter shaft, just because:)
SLDR 430 11* Ahina
                913F Matrix 7m3
                712u,TM Proto hybrids Matrix Ozik Altus
                3-pw MP64 x100
                                Scotty NP2, asst'd nikes, prov1
                Cleveland 588 O.G.  52,56,60 KBS Black

#13 Johnny T

Johnny T

GolfWRX True Temper Test Panel

• 1,873 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77624
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

Nice write-up!  This is exactly what I don't need...more shafts to lust over.
Ping G25 - PX LZ 60
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 - Fubuki Tour 73
Titleist 913Hd - Aldila Tour Green 85
Titleist AP2 714 - Modus3 130
Nike VR Forged 54/58 - S400
Ping Redwood Piper S

#14 7D2

7D2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17333
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

will we see a replacement to the TPHD in the future?

#15 Ray Jackson

Ray Jackson

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69784
  • Ebay ID:3471ray
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

View PostBogey, on 03 December 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

Thanks
Zach

I just looked it up;

I am trying the 6X3 in my R11S head, versus the XCon 7 I have as well. The 7 is a stiff (cpm unknown as came with the head) and the 6X3 is a 265 cpm installed untipped, but the 6X3 feels so 'dead' compared to the XCon 7. Its marketed as the replacement to the Xcon line but the feeling is very different in my opinion.

Anyone else try the 6X3?

#16 Tiptx1122

Tiptx1122

TMPing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35809

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'm trying the 6X3 in my 13* TEE XCG6 3W. This might be the best 3W I've ever owned. Looking for that high kick high launch mid spin

#17 TWshoot67

TWshoot67

TWShoot67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17759
  • Handicap:5.6
  • Ebay ID:TWSHOOT67
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

I've been playing the Code 8 since it was introduced and haven't found a better shaft for my 5 wood. I used the XCon5 and that was another great shaft for me. Tried XCon 6 with ok results. Can't wait to try this new offering by Matrix.
COBRA Bio Cell +11* w/Aldila ATX Pink
TEE CB4 15* & TM HFS 5 Wood
Cobra mb's 4-pw w/Aldila RIP Tours
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*, 58*
Tour Only Bettinardi BB1 DASS 340gram
TM TP X  or Titleist ProV1 X

#18 JaxBeachNole

JaxBeachNole

Juicy

• 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30170
GolfWRX Likes : 298

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Got a 7X3 about two months ago. Feels like a Fubuki with more kick. Great shafts
G25 8.5 Diamana B Series 60
I25 14 Kai'li 80
X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80, I20 20 KK 80
MP 54 5-PW Modus 130
"The Nightman" Midnight 006
SM5 56F (54), 60 K S400
WITB Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors