Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

NIKE VR Pro wedge VS VR Pro Forged DS wedge

nikegolf nike vr pro dual sole wedge daniel ekegren plus handicapper tiger woods rory mcilroy pga tour

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 niekgolf4

niekgolf4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210167
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hi,

What is the difference between the nike vr pro wedge and the vr pro forged dual sole wedge? I am thinking of buying a 60* wedge so I would like to know which of these should i get?

Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 TheMerryTex

TheMerryTex

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128115
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

DS can be used in a variety of ways because of the sole grind. If you plan on having to change the way your club sits at address, and need to open it in different lies then go with the DS.
Callaway FT Optiforce 440 - AD DI 6x
Callaway X2HP 15, 19 - AD DI 7x
Adams Pro Hybrid 20 - Tour Red
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW - KBS Tour V
WITB Link
Callaway MD 2 - 52, 58 - DG S300
Odyssey Tank #1 38in.

#3 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:3.6
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

I may not have given the DS a long enough test to figure out how to use the grind correctly, but I found that the DS 56* did not have as much effective bounce when opened up in the sand compared to my Tour-S 56* which has a more standard bounce profile.  In other words, the DS plowed into the sand rather than bounce through it.  Your mileage may vary, of course.  It's certainly a more versatile grind if you like to be creative with your face angles around the greens.

If I were doing it over, I'd probably go with the DS in the 60* and the standard mid or high bounce options in the 56*.  I wish that didn't mean that you had to mix finishes, though - DS is only available in Platinum, and the standard wedges are only available in chrome and black ox.
Ping Anser 9.5, Diamana D+ 72S
TM RBZ Stage 2 TP TS, Rul 80 stiff
TM RBZ Stage 2 TP 18.5 Rescue, Altus 85 stiff
Adams DHy 21* White Tie stiff
Nike Pro Combo CB, 5-PW, S300 XP +1"
Nike VR Forged 51, 55, 60 S300 XP +1"
Nike Method 003 35.5" or
Odyssey ProType iX 9ht 35.5"

#4 micha

micha

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81440
  • Ebay ID:nikomoose
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

I think the normal non DS grind on the Nike Vr Pro wedges is a versatile awesome grind. It gives you trailing edge relief and enough heel relief when it opens up. Works well out of bunkers too. Its the same grind that was on the original VR wedges which were a big hit with those who tried them. Haven't tried the DS though.

#5 agentXIV

agentXIV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120813
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

I have the DS in a 56 (bent to 54) and the 60. I used the standard VR Pro wedges prior to these. I found the grind to be one of the best I've ever played. Very versatile from whatever position you might find yourself in. The only issue I have with them would be durability. With them being forged I found a noticable loss in spin over the course of the season. The cross-hatch between the grooves, while sound in design, were all but gone after a few visits to the bunker.

I'll likely be using Vokeys next year with the M-Grind strictly for the durability aspect of a cast wedge. However, for the prices they can be had for I might just pick up a couple of sets, they are that good.

#6 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

agent how was the spin on the DS wedges?  They look stunning

#7 agentXIV

agentXIV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120813
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

SInce the wedges are conforming, you don't get the type of spin you'd get from a Callaway MD or the original Nike VR wedges. The flipside is you also don't shred a golfball with every wedge shot.

Out of the fairway I didn't notice too much difference. They would still spin if you weren't careful but they also wouldn't come back 20 feet if you weren't trying to control it. Call it 95% of what I used to get out of the fairway. On shots out of the rough they would either drop and release a few feet or roll out 10 depending on the amount of grass you were hitting out of. I'd say 70% of what I was used to from non-conforming wedges. On pitches and chips I struggled to get them to do what I could do with a non-conforming wedge. They really didnt spin much at all. 35%. From the bunkers again pretty close to what I'd get from a non-conforming wedge. 90%.

Having said all of that, the versatility of the sole-grind afforded me far more options than any other wedge out there. Thats where these wedges shine.

#8 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Im learing how to open up the face on my 60 vokey and or SM4 or VR Forged - Height stops the ball more than spin.....

#9 Joshzilla

Joshzilla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200469
  • Ebay ID:000miracleman000
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

I love my 58* DS.  It is my go-to club for most shots 85 yards and in.  The spin is great and the grind is versatile.  I have no problem sticking my shots with it and flops are a breeze.  So far I have not had any issue with durability, but I have been very lucky the past few months and stayed out of the sand.  Played the SM4 previous and it was great, too...but the stock grind was not as versatile.
9.5* Ping G25 w/ Aldila Tour Green
Ping G25 3w w/ VTS Black
Ping s56 3-PW w/ KBS Tour
Ping Tour-S 54 & 60
Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors