Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Wishon 919 or Adams 9064?

31 replies to this topic

#1 landshark

landshark

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9504
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

i'm torn between a wishon 919 and adams 9064 driver.   has anyone hit both and can give comparisons and little review of each?   currently hitting the 9064 but heard some good things on the wishon and have a chance to get one, but won't be able to try it out first.    i would think forgiveness,etc would go to the wishon, but will it be as long hitting as the 9064 with identical shafts?
thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 superman912

superman912

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108885
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

No. Don't buy wishon gear. Get the adams. Bigger company, better customer support, better resell value, better standards.

#3 Brettasaurus

Brettasaurus

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 719 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93148
  • Ebay ID:edwardthemonarch73
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

View Postsuperman912, on 03 December 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

No. Don't buy wishon gear. Get the adams. Bigger company, better customer support, better resell value, better standards.

I like Adams but judging the quality of golf equipment by the size of the company is ridiculous. Also, have you checked the re-sale of Adams equipment lately?

OP - The 9064 is plenty forgiving and very long. They can be had for $50 if you look around. I haven't hit the 919 but it has a really good reputation, as does Wishon in general.

#4 radtech

radtech

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109928
  • Ebay ID:s-p-l-a-s-h
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have played both.  Too the point WISHON feels better, builds more confidence, and distance is more consistance.  9064 longer by about 3 to 5 yards.  I still have the Wishon!  About resell prices,  neither will give you much back.  Both are more then 1.5 years old, in 2 more years you won't be able to sell them for a glass of ice water.

#5 landshark

landshark

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

thanks for the replies.   will be either putting in harrison saga 60 or AXE 6+(non tour) in.   I've hit both and decently--just not side by side with anything.   any preference over these?

#6 achappy

achappy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7129
  • Ebay ID:achappy
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

Sorry, but this is one of the most ridiculous posts in here.  Better standards?  Ask all of those with XTDs with weights falling off...

The 919 is a low spin, forgiving head that can match anything in distance assuming the shaft fits and the correct loft is chosen.  People used to hitting OEMs may end up with a lower launching 919 because it's loft is accurate.
Wishon 919THI 10.5* Wishon S2S Red
Mizuno MP-650 3W Fujikura Orochi Red
Maltby KE4 Tour 19* Steelfiber i95g
Wishon 3-PW 575MMC Wishon S2S Stepless
Odyssey Versa #7 BWB Superstroke
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour 54, 60

#7 ILBrad`

ILBrad`

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 198488
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Definitely go with the Adams. You can find them for a reasonable price. Long and forgiving driver.

#8 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 805

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Just my opinion, but I'd much rather have a Wishon.  In fact, I do.:)  919TH w/Wishon Black shaft.  Just as long as any driver I've ever used.  Sounds good.  Sits on the ground nice and square; you don't need to manipulate face angle because it wants to roll one way or another.  I'm a little so-so on the shaft but have no complaints.

#9 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138522
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

That's like saying McDonald's has a better hamburger because it's a bigger company...

Adams is great... Tom Wishon still runs his company and obviously takes pride in what he does, his standards aren't lower than any large OEM, and are probably tighter.

#10 WVP

WVP

Major Winner

• 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113828
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Adams' resell value is not a selling point! Likely the worst of the big OEM's....

Cobra Bio Cell - 9.5 - PXv Tour 52
Exotics CB5 - 16.5 - Fubuki Tour
Mizuno JPX825 - 19 - Orochi Red
Mizuno JPX825 - 4-GW - Project X
Mizuno JPX - 54, 58 - Project X
Odyssey ProType iX #9HT

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 superman912

superman912

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Try and sell a wishon club vs an adams. Guaranteed the Adams club will go in half the time. Also have the read the stories of Wishon not standing by his gear or his "recommended fitters"? Wishon is also very opinionated man, who will try to convince you his way or no other way, even if his way is wrong. Go with Adams. They have been great to many customers and even gone out of their way to replace out of warranty equipment. Yes some of the XTDs were faulty, but that's just one club. You are also getting a subset of golfers on this website. Not all XTDs were crap, just the 3 or 4 that were blown out of proportion here. Also you can grab the Adams for cheap right now.

I don't play either OEM, but I would never touch a wishon club, whereas I would gladly put an Adams club in my bag. If wishon clubs were so great, the best amateurs (who don't get paid) would play them, but they don't. You NEVER see them. They play TM/Titleist/Callaway/Adams, etc. You only see them in the bags of club hoes here on this website who think changing clubs will lower their scores.

#12 Break68

Break68

Obviously Your'e NOT a Golfer

• 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115957
  • Handicap:18.2
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

superman912, you couldn't be more wrong about Wishon.
I play the Wishon 919 with an Xcaliber 6 tipped 1 inch and it is the best driver I have ever hit, this is coming from a former Callaway fanboy.
Wishon 919 Thi 10* Xcaliber 6 S
Callaway Fti Squareway 3w 15* Xcaliber R
Wishon 775HS 3h 21* Wishon GI335 S
Callaway X-22 4-pw
Callaway Tour Blue TT3
Callaway X-Forged 51, 55, 59 DG S300

#13 enduro

enduro

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26249
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

The 9064 will be substantially cheaper,. When when you factor in the markup costs charged by a clubmaker the 919 will not be cheap. Neither club will have much resale value.
Cleveland  XL Custom/Fubuki Alpha
Callaway XHP 3w
Ping i15 5w
Cobra Amp Cell 3/4 - Kuro Kage 80
NikeVR 55, CallawyGW, Yes Laura
Mizuno MP52 4-pw/ Project X

#14 superman912

superman912

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostBreak68, on 03 December 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

superman912, you couldn't be more wrong about Wishon.
I play the Wishon 919 with an Xcaliber 6 tipped 1 inch and it is the best driver I have ever hit, this is coming from a former Callaway fanboy.

I'm glad you found the driver that works for you. I still wouldn't play it.

#15 ILBrad`

ILBrad`

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 198488
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

I agree Superman. I have heard a few stories about Wishon that would lead most people to stay clear of his equipment. I won't mention details, but I hope the original member that posted this question sticks with Adams.  I'm glad I wasn't the only one who has a negative view on wishon.

Edited by ILBrad`, 03 December 2012 - 06:22 PM.

#16 achappy

achappy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7129
  • Ebay ID:achappy
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

And there you have it, people forming opinions about a man and his company without having even tried any of the clubs nor any direct dealings with the man or the company.  And that's why you say no to drugs.  

That's also why when you have a valuable resource as Tom they decide that it's not worth the hassle of posting on here

I don't know what a "best" am is, but using Wishon clubs helped me finish 5th and 8 in the MD Public Links as well as win my club championship.
Wishon 919THI 10.5* Wishon S2S Red
Mizuno MP-650 3W Fujikura Orochi Red
Maltby KE4 Tour 19* Steelfiber i95g
Wishon 3-PW 575MMC Wishon S2S Stepless
Odyssey Versa #7 BWB Superstroke
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour 54, 60

#17 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'm curious if anyone has actual substantiated stories about Wishon not standing behind his clubs.

I know he is opinionated, and I'm sure there have been problems... but I'm just curious about actual problems.

I didn't find anything with a quick google search... and I've personally dealt with Tom via PMs, and he has been nothing but great... but it was an easy conversation, and I'm certainly curious to hear other stories out there.

#18 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• 11,876 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2605

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postsuperman912, on 03 December 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

Try and sell a wishon club vs an adams. Guaranteed the Adams club will go in half the time. Also have the read the stories of Wishon not standing by his gear or his "recommended fitters"? Wishon is also very opinionated man, who will try to convince you his way or no other way, even if his way is wrong. Go with Adams. They have been great to many customers and even gone out of their way to replace out of warranty equipment. Yes some of the XTDs were faulty, but that's just one club. You are also getting a subset of golfers on this website. Not all XTDs were crap, just the 3 or 4 that were blown out of proportion here. Also you can grab the Adams for cheap right now.

I don't play either OEM, but I would never touch a wishon club, whereas I would gladly put an Adams club in my bag. If wishon clubs were so great, the best amateurs (who don't get paid) would play them, but they don't. You NEVER see them. They play TM/Titleist/Callaway/Adams, etc. You only see them in the bags of club hoes here on this website who think changing clubs will lower their scores.

My vote for "fail" post of the year, although your earlier one is running a close second.
Bridgestone j40 (430) 8.5/DVS 70x
Bridgestone j40 14/Accra 85x
Mizuno Mp 650 19, 22/Orochi Red Eyes
Mizuno Mp 53 4-pw/PX Satin Proto 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
WITB Link

#19 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

• 11,876 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostMyherobobhope, on 03 December 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

I'm curious if anyone has actual substantiated stories about Wishon not standing behind his clubs.

I know he is opinionated, and I'm sure there have been problems... but I'm just curious about actual problems.

I didn't find anything with a quick google search... and I've personally dealt with Tom via PMs, and he has been nothing but great... but it was an easy conversation, and I'm certainly curious to hear other stories out there.

There are none. He was just making it up. Check his post history...tells the tale.
Odyssey White Ice #7
WITB Link

#20 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 805

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

There was a long thread here a few weeks back where some guy went off railing on Wishon because he bought some clubs and didn't like them.  Started off saying the heads were too big (apparently he did not notice that when he selected them).  Then, after he was swapped out of the heads into something else, the shafts the clubmaker suggested weren't a good match for the user.  Apparently, this guy wanted Wishon to eat the cost of a new set.  I'm paraphrasing of course, but in my view, and many others, this guy was bashing Wishon for no reason.

Edited by Nessism, 03 December 2012 - 06:46 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 superman912

superman912

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 03 December 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

My vote for "fail" post of the year, although your earlier one is running a close second.

In what way is it a "fail"? And why did you put it in quotes? A fail is a fail, not a "fail". Everything I said was true. You just defend him because why? He posts a couple of charts here and there and argues with anyone that disagrees with him? An adams club will sell way quicker than a Wishon. I wonder why there aren't wishon clubs at golfsmith, golfgalaxy, pga superstore? No one plays them. My comment about XTDs was true. Even in the thread about loose XTDs, people were saying how theirs was not loose. It was at most a handful of people whose weights came loose. Adams does have great customer service. If his clubs were so good, the top amateurs would be playing them. If they were so good, pros not on contract would play them, but they don't. NO ONE DOES. Only the people who think a club change is going to fix their slices and duck hooks buy them. I'm done with this thread. Say whatever you want. There will be people that don't like one OEM over another, just like all the TM and Titleist haters. I don't like wishon, period. But you don't see TM reps coming into the threads and disagreeing with people and arguing with them.

Edited by superman912, 03 December 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#22 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 03 December 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

There are none. He was just making it up. Check his post history...tells the tale.

Yeah... the joy of the internet is the anonymity. That's why I requested specific instances instead of friend of friend accounts.

I'm going to go ahead and continue to believe Wishon is a person deserving of my money and get fit for a driver next year.

#23 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

View Postsuperman912, on 03 December 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

In what way is it a "fail"? And why did you put it in quotes? A fail is a fail, not a "fail". Everything I said was true. You just defend him because why? He posts a couple of charts here and there and argues with anyone that disagrees with him? An adams club will sell way quicker than a Wishon. I wonder why there aren't wishon clubs at golfsmith, golfgalaxy, pga superstore? No one plays them. My comment about XTDs was true. Even in the thread about loose XTDs, people were saying how theirs was not loose. It was at most a handful of people whose weights came loose. Adams does have great customer service. If his clubs were so good, the top amateurs would be playing them. If they were so good, pros not on contract would play them, but they don't. NO ONE DOES. Only the people who think a club change is going to fix their slices and duck hooks buy them. I'm done with this thread. Say whatever you want. There will be people that don't like one OEM over another, just like all the TM and Titleist haters. I don't like wishon, period. But you don't see TM reps coming into the threads and disagreeing with people and arguing with them.

OK, I'm going to safely ignore you... thanks for clearing that up!

1. Wishon clubs aren't in GolfGalaxy because he only sells them to certified clubfitters... he has (by his account) been offered positions at major club companies and turned them down because he wanted to focus on getting people custom fit into clubs.
2. There are lots of great clubmakers that get little to no play by top amateurs and professionals... Miura, Tour Edge, Adams...
3. Tom has consistently stated that higher handicaps get more value out of getting custom fitted... there is more room for improvement and great ball strikers have less of a need for custom fit equipment.
4. Everyone I've ever seen who plays a Wishon driver loves it.
5. Adams will have a higher resale than Wishon... if that's a primary concern, go with Adams.

This isn't really to argue with Superman, but instead to hopefully clear some stuff up... I'm a Wishon fanboy, though.

#24 bellairemi

bellairemi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5851
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'm with you as far as ignoring the previous comments

View PostMyherobobhope, on 03 December 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

OK, I'm going to safely ignore you... thanks for clearing that up!

1. Wishon clubs aren't in GolfGalaxy because he only sells them to certified clubfitters... he has (by his account) been offered positions at major club companies and turned them down because he wanted to focus on getting people custom fit into clubs.
2. There are lots of great clubmakers that get little to no play by top amateurs and professionals... Miura, Tour Edge, Adams...
3. Tom has consistently stated that higher handicaps get more value out of getting custom fitted... there is more room for improvement and great ball strikers have less of a need for custom fit equipment.
4. Everyone I've ever seen who plays a Wishon driver loves it.
5. Adams will have a higher resale than Wishon... if that's a primary concern, go with Adams.

This isn't really to argue with Superman, but instead to hopefully clear some stuff up... I'm a Wishon fanboy, though.

#25 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, sorry to derail the thread... I think both the Wishon and Adams are good drivers, and you can't go wrong with either.

New clubs are always better, though! So if you have the Adams buy the Wishon.

#26 stg113

stg113

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41948
  • Ebay ID:
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Superman is ignorant, that's all. He believes what he is told, but fails (no quotes) to educate himself. I chose many years ago to learn to build clubs on my own. It's not rocket science, just have to spend some money on getting the right tools. I have used just about every club manufacture out there. The most important aspect to club performance is the person swinging the club. Second, is have the clubs fitted to the person swinging the club. Third, the clubs have to be appealling to the person swinging them (confidence). Wishon makes quality equipment and if it is properly fitted to the golfer, they will perform as good or better than OEM's. Resale is the only thing that some, and only some OEM's have over Wishon. I do have a Wishon 919 with a Talamonti 70 PDx and fairways hit went from 50% to 70% with no loss of distance, compared to every other driver I have hit. I won't sell that club, ever so what do I care about resale. Not going to say what I have in the club, but I will tell you it's less than any of the discounted OEM drivers from 2012.

I still regret buying a brand new set of TM TP MB/MC's last year. Paid 850, sold in great condition for less than 400. Like cars, resale is not an issue that should be discussed with golf clubs.None of them retain much value if used a great deal of time.
Wishon 919 THI 9* Talamonti PD 70X
Wishon 949 MC 14*  Talamonti PD 80X
Taylormade 2011 18 Rescue NVS 90x Hybrid
Wishon 575MMC 3-PW GD X100 SSX1
Titleist SM4 52 amd 56* GD wedge flex
Never Compormise GM2 Exchange #5
WITB Link

#27 keyser

keyser

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8384
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

No brainer... get a custom built Wishon. You´ll never have to sell it.

#28 landshark

landshark

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

all good information here.    i ended up getting the wishon as well and hit some with it today.    i was very impressed.   i think it will be a tad more forgiving than the adams.   i'll do some on course comparisons soon and see if i can really see any difference in total distance.  pretty much everything i've hit is so close to each other that i just may be maxxed out on what i can hit.   so it's not a bad thing to have 2 well performing drivers.    Still, if anyone has hit both, would like to hear from you as well.    as far as resale, it's not really an issue.  i generally just add to my driver collection without hassling with reselling them.   most adams go for very reasonable $$$ now, and i've only seen a couple wishons on ebay and they are going for more than the adams(9064).
Thanks to all

#29 the4hornes

the4hornes

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12692
  • Handicap:7.4
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

I don't buy my golf clubs based on resale value. I buy them based on performance, quality, and looks. I am very happy with my Wishon clubs with no desire to sell them. I have never hit an Adams driver, but the 919thi is an outstanding club with amazing off center performance.

#30 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

• 11,876 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

It is in quotes because the context it is used in exists within the vernacular, as opposed to regular applications of the word. I guess you are going to have to trust me on that one. I also have issues with people using run-on paragraphs, but I digress...

Tom Wishon's clubs are quality offerings. Pity you haven't hit them. It is a greater pity that you chose to put your foot in your mouth without any real experience to base your input on.

Edited by MadGolfer76, 03 December 2012 - 09:15 PM.

Odyssey White Ice #7
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors