Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

golf or baseball

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

My son is 12 and I'm trying to consider if we are approaching the time when we have to deal with deciding between playing more golf and less baseball.  He has been a all-star at baseball and for the last 3 years he played baseball almost year round.  In the winter he would play golf tournaments and is strong in golf too.  He now hits 220-240 yd drives and shoots 80-82 on the course.  He is in 7th grade now, when high school comes, unfortunately golf and baseball are both spring sports so he would have to choose which one.  I think if he concentrated on golf he would improve his game and be better able to compete with the other junior golfers that play all year.

Another factor in making this decision is that last February he fractured the growth plate in his right shoulder while throwing a baseball, this shut him down for 4 months and made me think of cutting back his baseball.

Here's some video of him in baseball:

Any opinions out there?  Has anyone else had to make a choice between sports.
I've had people tell me that the golf swing is bad for the batting swing.  It does usually take him about 2 buckets of balls to flush out his baseball swing before he's golf ready.

How much practice time is there on a high school golf team vs a HS baseball team?

thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

vs golf

#3 Titleistman1010

Titleistman1010

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 709 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139939
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

I had the same decision to make. Our baseball team was very good and we play 11 months out of the year. When I was 12 I was burned out and chose to play golf. It couldn't have worked out better. It takes hard work catch up to the level of the good players that have been playing all their life. If he is going to continue to play competitively in either sport he needs to make a decision now. It just comes down to whatever sport he enjoys more.
Hope it all works out.

#4 bubbagump

bubbagump

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114646
GolfWRX Likes : 466

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

I played baseball since I was 4 and picked up golf around middle school and somewhat more seriously in hs.  We had a great program and were nationally ranked in hs so we played all year round. Some of the guys did the golf team in the fall, but it would mean picking that over fall ball.  I never did the golf team, because I just thought it would be too much.

Personally when I started playing more golf on my offtime, baseball would try and take over and my swing looked great, but resulty were all jacked lol.  I wouldnt really notice any change into my baseball swing, but it was probably because I  predominately played more baseball than golf.  One thing I always could do was hit the ball far and I attribute that to the hand eye cordination and batspeed of the years of baseball.

Id say just let him figure it out.  See what one he likes best.  Or if he wants both, see what happens.  It wouldnt be the first time a golfer was skilled in multiple sports.

Its funny watching his golf swing and how far past parrallel he takes it, when I started I did the same exact thing.  I used to wrap the bat around my neck a bit when I hit, so I guess it just came natural when I started swinging a golf club.  Lol I broke my right side growth plate when I was younger too, I just fell out of a tree instead of doing it while playing ball lol.

Edited by bubbagump, 02 December 2012 - 11:50 AM.

9* TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 7.2
14* 3w TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 7.2
19* TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 9.8
4-AW Rocketbladez tour SS PX 6.5
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport
58* , 62* Vokeys with project x
WITB Link

#5 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 290

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

His choice. IMO. He's twelve.
There's nothing to say in two years he changes his mind. As long as he's a good kid and keeps good friends what difference does it make?

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

#6 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I know it sounds early, but to have him catch up to the other junior golfers he needs to play scratch, which would probably mean playing year round tournaments especially to get enough experience so by the time he's a sophomore in HS he can have high enough rankings in the juniors like JGANC or AGJA.  He's a 7th grader now, so its about 2-3 years out.  But I feel golf is like a long term savings plan.  You have to make continuous deposits in the form of experience and practice to the game, strokes are shaved off a little at a time with continuous play and learning.

The other thing is genetics.  I am 5'7" his mom is 4"9".  Something tells me he won't be playing shortstop at 6'3", even though he's almost my height now, I'm thinking he'll probably peak at 5"10 or something like that.  Tall enough for golf, maybe not so much for college baseball.  My other son is 5'5" and going to UC Berkeley now, it would just be nice if he could get some sort of scholarship in the future so I don't have to eat dog food in my retirement years.

#7 rvgolfer

rvgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146939
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

Either sport, in the end its going to be how much talent your son has and how motivated he is to play and improve.  So what I am saying, its really going to be more on your son to decide, and at 12 years of age, it seems to me he fairly young to be making such a decision.  He's more likely to suffer a serious injury playing baseball, rotator cuff, and elbow issues and etc. can knock him out of baseball, where with golf, its much less likely injury could end his hopes.  Baseball scouts are looking for the complete player, especially at the Division 1 level, ie speed, hitting/power, arm, and fielding skills unless he's a pitcher and then his fast ball speed becomes a huge benchmark.  Any deficieny in any of these areas will cause him to be pushed out of the lineup.  Consider also that unless a baseball player is a true phenom, he's not likely to get much more than a 1/2 ride.

Golf coaches on the other hand tend to concentrate more on score, and a deficiency that a player has can be compensated for, whereas, for example, if you dont have speed in baseball, that alone could eliminate him.  Baseball tends to be an under 30 sport, golf tends to be a lifetime sport.  So my suggestion is to guide him to concentrate on golf and his grades.  A good golfer with the grades, is much more likely to get a valuable scholarship in one or the other, and chances are he wont make all that much money playing either sport, so having a good education seems to me the most important issue.

#8 J.R.

J.R.

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96265
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

I went through the same thing with baseball and golf. I would say just let your son make the decision. I chose golf at 13 over baseball to focus on because I had more interest in the sport. Definitely let him decide and he wants to continue both for a little that's fine.
Anser 9.5 Tour Spec Fuel 60X
913F NV 85X
i20 4-PW Nippon Super Peening Orange X
Vokey 52 56 60 Dynamic Black Gold X
Ping Redwood D66 Gripmaster

#9 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

View Postbubbagump, on 02 December 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

One thing I always could do was hit the ball far and I attribute that to the hand eye cordination and batspeed of the years of baseball....

Its funny watching his golf swing and how far past parrallel he takes it, when I started I did the same exact thing.  I used to wrap the bat around my neck a bit when I hit, so I guess it just came natural when I started swinging a golf club.  Lol I broke my right side growth plate when I was younger too, I just fell out of a tree instead of doing it while playing ball lol.

I think he did develop as a golfer because he was a contact hitter in baseball.  His hand eye coordination carried over to golf.

#10 lilmike24

lilmike24

LEAVE your MARK !

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193038
  • Ebay ID:lilmike24
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

He has a better chance in golf... But you have to have him to understand that though

Nike Vr Tour 9.5* W/ Diamana BB
Nike Covert Performance 15* W/ Stock
Adams Idea Pro 20* Hybrid
Titleist 690 CB W/ DG s300
Nike VR Pro wedges 52-58 W/ DG s400
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Hstead

Hstead

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
GolfWRX Likes : 1090

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

Mine is 11 and plays baseball, football, and basketball.  He plays on a travel baseball team and I have restricted golf around baseball as his golf swing runs his baseball swing.  Our high school golf season is in the fall which is also football season.  I played college football and our town is a huge football town.  I also help coach the high school football team so trying to talk him into golf vs football is next to impossible.  He has diabetes and gold would be way easier on him than football, but I have almost given up on trying to convince him golf could be his ticket.  SO, basically, I let mine decide and so far it is baseball and football over golf even though I know his best chance to play beyond high school is most likely golf but you never know how they grow and mature.
Ping G30 9* 65 Tour X
Wishon 919FD 12*-S2S 85 X
Ping i20 3-UW Nippon SP Blue X
TM Tour Preferred 54 - Vokey TVD K 58
Ping Anser Byron DH89 Edel Low Tide Fin
Bridgestone Tour B330

#12 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1793

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

I didn't read all the posts but it has been my opinion that the child needs to decide by his freshman year what one sport he or she is going to focus on when considering college scholarship.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#13 Texsport

Texsport

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Here's a story about such things.

I went through a similar thing with my son, though he was very advanced in both baseball and golf.

I actually thought that he might be a better baseball player, as I was. He had been the best hitter, pitcher and SS in every league from 11 years into high school.

He won our club 10 and under golf championship when he was 7, and was playing and winning in the Houston Golf Association kids summer league as a 10 year old with 12 year olds. He was playing in national AJGA tournaments in junior high.

I wanted him to play both sports in high school, and he played both as a freshman.

The varsity baseball coach started pressuring him to choose between the two---which really got me hot.

So, he played summer baseball after his freshman year, batting 3rd on the All star team and playing SS and pitching.

He also continued playing local and AJGA tournaments.

After the summer, he decided he wanted to concentrate on golf and never played baseball again.

A little side note----when he was a senior in high school, his old baseball buddies got into the playoffs. One night he got a call from the baseball coach, asking him if would consider playing some more baseball, as a relief pitcher. He didn't think he could contribute after nearly 3 years---but loaned his best friend, the team's 2nd baseman, his glove. They won the Texas 5A state championship and his glove was part of it.

My son got a full ride Division 1 scholarship for golf, played in the NCAA Championships a couple of times, and turned pro.

He has had a very successful career, both playing and as the Director of Golf Operations at a famous golf and ski resort.

He's glad he chose golf, as it has provided him and his family a great living in a place they love.

Now he has 2 sons who are pretty fair athletes---and he'll have to go through the same thing with them, as they are playing both sports.

My advice is if the boy can play both, do it. If not, let him chose. If he wants to change his mind later, he still has time.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 02 December 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#14 semi

semi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138552
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

I had to make the decision when I was younger then my son at age 12 did too. I guess we were lucky on how my son had to make the decision although it was hard at the time...3rd round Club Championship fell on the same day and approx. time as the baseball final. He had to decide - golf of baseball. He picked golf and won the Championship but felt bad about not helping his team out in the baseball final - know he didn't want to make that decision again. Gave up on baseball...

I will say this though - I believe golf takes a bigger commitment by the parents. I also feel at age 12 they need some guidance too.

#15 MountainKing

MountainKing

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199340
  • Ebay ID:blackhawks1979
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

He's young, I would let him figure it out and not try to sway him either way.  I was in high school when I got to the point where I had to decide, I elected golf and got burned out to the point where I had no interest in carrying on with it in college and eventually left the game for a decade.  Looking back at the opportunities I had it was dumb of me to give up what I did but it is what it is.  If you really want to sway him and you think he has a shot of going to college and beyond I would try and push him toward baseball.  It's much easier to succeed in baseball through college and beyond (not saying that is easy) and he's eventually good enough to go pro baseball money is the easiest money in sports....but really at his age just let him do what makes him happy and he has fun with and if it's both then let him do both if you can afford it!

#16 oregongolf

oregongolf

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Let him choose. I played both (club and hs bb, hs golf) until I graduated HS and would encourage him to do whatever he wants, or make it accessible to do both if he'd want to do that too.

Ultimately I went to college and chose golf, but could've gone either way.

#17 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Here's is why it is a difficult decision.  Next year he'll probably be playing Pony with maybe 1 summer or fall season in USSSA baseball.  Previous years he played both LL, spring, summer and Fall USSSA travel ball.  I am going to have to tell his coaches in Pony that he will be playing tournaments in weekends so he will miss games, but that is rec ball.  In travel ball, its hard to tell coaches you won't be there, especially since he plays 3rd,short, 2nd and centerfield.  The high school he's going to practices baseball every day during the season, I don't know what the golf team practice schedule is like.  I told him that if he tried to do both sports the only way the golf coach would allow it would be if he was a scratch golfer.  If both sports were in different seasons it would be easier, but they are both in Spring.   At the same time, his brother went to this high school.  It is very academically demanding, he left with a 4.6 gpa and got accepted to every UC school and choose Berkeley as an Astrophysics major.  I remember the freshman year was the toughest because of the homework workload that my older son had to adjust to.
He didn't play sports except for a brief stint in track as a sophomore.  I actually didn't encourage him to play sports that much because I was a track/cross country person/football player in sports for 4 years in HS and looking back I think I could've accomplished more academically without the demands of sports.  My youngest is more of an athlete than I ever was, so its hard to temper his sports enthusiasm, but I also don't want him to attempt both sports and a rigorous academic schedule simultaneously.  In baseball you can look great, but if you are on a team which is not as strong, your skills can get hidden or unappreciated unless you're a pitcher with a 90+ fastball.  In golf, your tournament record is what it is, it stands alone, you accomplish it without a direct assist or hoping that the person on the other end catches the ball.  It feels like you can control more of your own destiny in golf.

Edited by jollysammy, 03 December 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#18 CCUgolfer23

CCUgolfer23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185402
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Don't make the decision for him, and don't try to sway him either way. That just opens up the door for resiment toward a sport or even worse towrad you. My dad tried to force me into baseball, but I was a really good catcher top 50 in the state but I got burned out. I don't know what your son's high school team does but when I played High School golf we praticed 4 days a week, for about 3 hours. An hour and a half on the range and short game/putting and an hour and a half playing 3 or 4 holes. The struggle to make it big in golf in my opinion is harder. An all the major college golf teams in the country they don't have that many spots, and trying to make it to the PGA tour is going to be brutal. Mini tours, and living out the trunk of your car isn't really a fabolous life when the odds are you spend more money to enter than you will win. Baseball has more roster spots, many different levels, and free travel with a team. As long as he works hard in school, and gives it everything in the sport he chooses then as a father there is nothing you can be more proud of.
Titleist 910 d3 oban devotion 6 04 flex
Titleist 910 15* motore speeder vc 7.1
Titleist 910 19* pink bimatrix xstiff
Titleist 704 5 iron/6-pw 670 mb KBS tour
Ping gorge 51, tour s 55/59
Scotty cameron Red X
WITB Link

#19 super7

super7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53775
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

Wow Jollysammy this is where parenting gets tough. I know a lot of people think this is an easy thing, just let your son decide for himself. Well that's where Dad is needed to help him process all of the information. The first thing I would say is take the college scholarship out of the decision making. Most D1 golf is a partial scholarship. NCAA rules state that each school has 4.5 golf scholarships to hand out and most teams have about 12 kids on a team. It's not hard to do the math. And if he is lucky enough to get an offer of 75%-100% it want come cheep. Getting to the top of the Junior rankings is gonna take not only a lot of work on his part but dads financial backing as well. the amount of money I have spent on my kids golf I could have paid for college X2. (PM me if you want to know more about the expenses of junior golf). I think baseball scholarships are in the same boat. Try to really see what your son has the most passion and fire for, this may or may not be what he is the most gifted in. Without that fire deep inside he will not be self driven. And that is really what it takes to be outstanding in anything. Just have alot of conversations with him and try and look at all the pros and cons of both sports. If his goal is to take one of these sports to the next level then I think you are doing the right thing in trying to get him to focus on one or the other. Good luck and keep us informed.

#20 OptionlessM

OptionlessM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178878
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Both.  I played baseball through high school and just played golf during the off season.  I was going to play baseball in college, but needed shoulder surgery so I switched to golf.

Even after I committed on my golf scholarship (Division 1, SEC school), I continued to play baseball.

Being a multi sport athlete is part of being a kid.  Encourage it.

Edited by OptionlessM, 04 December 2012 - 12:51 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 TheBoomer

TheBoomer

Major Winner

• 2,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67458
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

Great Camera !!!!!!!!!!
Ping G30 Tour AD BB6s
TaylorMade SLDR Kali
Ping G20 5 Wood
Miura CB1957 SteelFiber i95s
Miura 51/55/59 C Taper S+
Scotty Cameron Newport II Circle T
WITB Link

#22 MountainKing

MountainKing

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199340
  • Ebay ID:blackhawks1979
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I didn't realize you have both in the same season.  Up here golf was fall and baseball was spring.  If that's the case he probably will need to decide between one or the other, it will be too hard to juggle that kind of schedule and the end result would more than likely be him hating both sports.  From looking at the videos he looks far more gifted in baseball.  This is a tough one and has to be tough as a parent.  I'm fortunate that my kid has taken a love to hockey and a casual like of golf but hockey is all there is for him.  Good luck and either way as long as he loves the sport I don't think you can make the wrong decision.

#23 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for all the responses, they have been great.  Here's a little insight into why this is such a tough decision for us.  I came home one day from work and my wife was playing catch with my son.  He was laughing like crazy and she then said to me, you've got to tell him to not throw so hard, it hurts when it hits me in the chest.  I looked at her and said, dear, he's 18 months old, if he's throwing hard enough to hurt your chest you don't discourage that...it's our retirement...(LOL).

What tickled me was that his older brother never wanted to even play catch with me at 5 years old, he hated it.  So for the next few months he's throwing the ball and so we get him a little bat and glove.  I'm in my home office and I toss him plastic whiffle balls to hit with his bat and he's slamming off the window blinds laughing all the time at 2 years of age.  He seems to be really enjoying baseball and I'm baffled because I don't know where he's getting this desire to play.  And he's too young to tell me.  So when he's 2.5 we start to work on catching the ball and the first thing I notice was that he tries to make every catch horizontal, literally diving for the ball and catching at ground level.  I try to tell him not to do this, and to just stand there and catch the ball, but it takes days before he stops diving and catches it normally.  It was then that it hit me, when he was home with his mom they would watch TV and she told me he liked to watch ESPN Sportscenter.  He had learned his baseball from watching web gems.  He could see guys throw and hit, but the only outfield plays he would see where diving catches, and so he thought that was the norm.

Fast forward to Little League.  He's in his first season of T-ball and I get roped into coaching.  I was never really a baseball player growing up but fortunately I had a great assistant coach.  Anyway, when we practiced on our own, we have the school baseball field behind our backyard.  I would just stand in the outfield while my son was jacking balls out there off the tee, and I would move this orange safety cone back to every new farthest record spot.  He would do this over and over until it got dark, just grooving his swing and realizing what trajectory got him the most distance.  I didn't realize that this was also giving him the patient approach that he uses now in golf.  We have our first baseball practice with the team and everything is fine until the last 5 minutes when my son runs off into the outfield by himself and the other boys don't understand why.  I go off to talk to him and realize that during the whole practice, I gave every boy in the team attention, except for him.  I then told him, look, if you want me to be involved in your baseball as the coach of the team, you can't do this, your teammates need help and I need you to help me make them better so we can be a better team, otherwise, this ends now, you and I can practice baseball together anytime, but during team practice we have to help the team.  I was giving a 5 year old an ultimatum.  He looked at me and from that day forward, I never really talked to him in practice.  He knew why and continued working on his game and became an all-star and a top all around infielder/outfielder and contact hitter.  The proudest moment for me was when coaches and parents would tell me that he was so coach-able, he would listen once and then use what was taught him immediately.  

His grandfather during all this time plays golf, and so every so often he would take his grandson to the range.  There he picked up golf by just pounding balls, like he did in tee ball.  He did this from about 7 until I realized at 9 that he could really play golf too and got him his first formal lesson and then entered him into tournaments.

So we have 2 sports that I really had little to do with him being introduced to, that he excels in.  I'm just shagging balls, or hitting outfield practice or caddying his clubs.  I never pushed him in either, he just has the fire to compete whether it's his middle school golf team or one of his baseball teams.

A game he watched and admired almost from infancy and the game he was first taught by his grandfather.  Tough choices.

Edited by jollysammy, 04 December 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#24 Joe26

Joe26

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176956
  • Handicap:16.7
  • Ebay ID:Tyrod_5
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

From what I understand, baseball usually has the lowest GPA on campus.

I played a ton of baseball growing up, I think for about 3 months I was on 4 teams at the same time. I tore my labrum sometime in middle school and it took years to get it diagnosed and fixed. By this point, I had enough and haven't picked up a baseball in 5+ after the surgery. If there is anything I learned from this, go see a doctor that specializes in sports injuries right from the beginning if possible.

Size is going to be a factor as well. My travel team when I was 12 had 6 guys over 5'10, I was considered normal  ~5'9. Not saying it can't be done.

I picked up golf in college and enjoy it a decent bit except for struggles to get rid of my baseball swing. I wish I had started golf earlier.

Good luck. It is not an easy choice.
BC+
Super 9031 20* & 23*
G25 7-U, G15 5-6
White Hot Pro #7
Tour S 56* & 60*

#25 flip flappy

flip flappy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137925
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

I am impressed with this young man's desire to excel in either sport. So refreshing to see a kid that would rather play sports than dedicate his youth to playing video games! Times have changed since I was a kid....playing outside and playing all sports was the norm.
Jollysammy, I wish you and your son good luck as to whatever decision is made. It would be cool to hear updates in the future.

Titleist 910 D2 10.5
Cobra Baffler T Rail 3 wood
MP 62's
Mizuno MP T11 56
Callaway X2 Hot 19*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 PP Mid Slant

#26 JayAreOhh924

JayAreOhh924

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151017
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

I appologize for the month late reply but I couldnt help but think of myself here. Im not too far removed from being in the same situation as a kid. I'd let him decide. It'll come crunch time where he has to sign up for one or the other and he will make that decision on his own.

The strong point I'd like to make here though is he is still young! Who knows what the future holds for him? Maybe he turns out to be the next Randy Johnson or Tiger Woods... but his athletic choice isn't whats going to stop him from being successful, maybe hes the next Steve Jobs? Dont let this YOUR influence make HIS life, but do always hold him to his academics before taking him to either practice. In the end, if hes not a Randy or a Tiger, his academics are what he needs to fall back on.

On a personal note, I wish I picked Baseball as a kid. Golf is something you can play until your dead however there comes an age when sprinting around the bases and knocking dingers ends, and its a hell of a lot earlier than golf! Not only that but the teamwork involved in baseball carries over to a workfield environment. Im in law enforcement now and I believe some of the basis of baseball has helped with my career.

#27 fortmacbenny

fortmacbenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240989
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

golf

#28 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Its days like yesterday which have us leaning stronger to golf.  Currently my son is playing Pony Rec baseball, and its fun, but yesterday was different.

Yesterday was the 2nd time that he played with this new combo the Ping G15 7.5 driver and the Oban Devotion 6 03 flex.  We showed up at Crystal Springs, 70.3 rating 125 slope, a hilly course just when a local high school team was practicing.  Since I knew the coach he let my son join them since a couple of his players showed up in basketball shorts and the course wouldn't let them play.  So here's my boy a 7th grader teeing off against a freshman, sophomore and junior.  He takes out his G15/Oban and knocks his drive past all 3 of them to about 230.  2nd hole a  401 yd slightly uphill par 4 ,3rd hardest hole on the course, his drive is a shorter and he lays 225 out from the pin.  He then hits the G15/Oban off the deck and rolls onto the green with about 30ft putt to the pin.  By now he has seriously intimidated the freshman and sophomore, both of him have trouble getting their balls in the air, he lays 2 on the green when they are 4 or 5 and still chipping on.  The best is yet to come.  Hole 5 is an uphill all the way par 4 379 yds,5th hardest hole.  A little over-amped he hits the drive left about 169 off the fairway uphill sidehill in the taller 2nd cut, ball about a foot below his feet upslope behind a trap.  Bad lie, ball was 1/2 way into the grass.  The junior and I look on and shake our heads as he takes the G15/Oban driver out and hits a perfect rainbow shot that stops 1 yd in front of the bunker protecting the green, that thing flew about 190 yds up the hill and rolled out perfectly.  He then hits his 58 wedge up and over the bunker to an elevated blind green where he couldn't see the flag, the top lip of the bunker is the fringe of the green which then slopes front to back.  The junior was in the bunker and asked him to mark his ball, he climbs the hill to the green and realizes why, his ball is 1 ft from the hole in front of the pin.  Tap in par.  Later on he birdied a par 5 460 yds with the same 2nd shot off the deck with the G15/Oban.  He is so stoked to use this combo.  I don't think he wants to use his Superfast 2.0 8.5 with RIP Phenom anymore after this performance.  He was either ahead on his drives or only 10-15yds behind the Junior.  

The junior told me they practice 4 days a week and have a match on the other day.  They don't have to pay for greens fees.  The coach later told us to practice with them anytime.  He even tried to recruit my son to their school, probably because the high school he will be going to is one of their biggest rivals.

I think the eye-opener for us is that he can already compete with the high school boys, which makes sense since he's already been playing junior tournaments for a couple of years now.  Also, I think his competitive nature makes this kind of practice better for him, he gets bored playing by himself for practice on the course with me just walking along caddying.  He liked trying to outdrive the junior and making creative shots.

I lucked out finding the G15 7.5 degree on ebay.  It had a Jamie Sadlowski, House of Forged Stiff shaft in it with a E9 swingweight, too much for my son, he could get it up in the air, but only carry about 150 with about 50yds roll LOL to 200.  So we got an Oban Devotion 6 with 03 flex which is more like regular/firm.  First had it shafted at 46.5 but that turned out to be an E6 and still felt heavy, so we chopped it down to 45.5 D9 and now it feels great, just a couple swingweights more than his 8.5 Superfast 2.0 with RIP Phenom at 46.25.  The best part about the 7.5 is he never balloons the driver like his other 9 degree G15 and the G15 just wants to go straight.  Plus that Oban is just so stable, which I guess allows him to hit it off the deck even with the low loft head.

In baseball, he might get 1 or 2 plays a game.  Last game he played center field the whole game and nothing came his way.  In golf, you're playing and creating with every shot.  And the size difference from older boys isn't as apparent as it is in baseball.  He wasn't the smallest, the freshman was, but he could hit it as far or farther than the oldest boy.  He's still 2 years away from playing high school golf, but at least he can practice with them and hone his skills for when he gets there.  Since the junior told me how much they practiced, I can see why there's no way he could play golf and baseball in the same spring season.  It wouldn't be fair to both sports.

Edited by jollysammy, 12 April 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#29 CUTiger7

CUTiger7

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106248
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Went through a similar experience in HS. Don't get too caught up in size. A lot of college coaches will screen for size in baseball bc a bigger kid gives them more room to build and expand talent but at 5'7"- 5'8" I did quite well for myself. They key to remember is the shorter you are, the more you have to stand out in other areas. I was smaller but I could steal bases, hit for power, and hit for contact/bunt. I led our conference in RBIs, HRs, and AVG my junior year. I also played center bc I could make up the most ground between gaps. That being said, I also had to work my butt off to get noticed at showcases.

Our golf team was like your son's where it was impossible to do both sports, so I chose the one I loved the most and had the most to gain. My dad and I sat down my freshman year and weighed truthfully where we thought I could be in each sport. This is hard bc every dad wants to see their son succeed with everything they do but its important you be realistic. Our conversation was 1-sided really with me talking aloud everything I liked/disliked and believed I could accomplish in each sport. At the end my dad had written down everything I said with the results pointing towards baseball. The two biggest factors for baseball over golf were the tools I brought to the diamond vs the course (AKA how competitive were my natural talents compared to the competition) and where each sport put me emotionally. Golf was fantastic and I loved every second on the course but I realized it was also my outlet. I played it for more of a getaway than a competition. I wanted to compete but the drive to be the best and proving others wrong was not as strong as it was for baseball.

Its a terrible situation to have to chose at 13-14 years of age what sport you want to pursue but it can be a learning experience. I do not regret my decision at all to choose baseball and enjoyed it until my body said no more (shoulder issues). I can still pick up a bat 5 years later and hit the hell out of a baseball, but I know it wasn't my lack of trying that caused me to have to give up baseball, my body just said no more (the 10 innings a week pitching and playing CF on off days I am sure didn't help).

Just stay open minded about the situation. And avoid the "if you had to play one or the other for the rest of your life which would you pick?" question. I would have picked golf BC I was more relaxed playing that. But I would get more fired up, more passionate, and excited to play baseball. There is no wrong answer, just stay neutral and he will at least show you which one he wants to pursue more if not tell you.

#30 Jc0

Jc0

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119066
  • Handicap:+0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

You can do both.  While both golf and baseball may be a spring sport, to college coaches high school golf means nothing.  I played golf summer, fall, and winter, then played baseball in the fall and spring.  I got to the level where I could have a played either sports in college (+1 golfer, .500 bating average in one of the toughest devisions in the state) until I blew out my shoulder sophomore year and decided to play golf slightly more seriously (along with varsity tennis and lacrosse).  I know another guy who did this too and is now on the golf team at Auburn. For me academics ended up winning out, but if your son can maintain it is not an impossible task to play both at very high levels.  The financial costs can be high though

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors