Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Swingweight...midsize grip vs regular with 4 wraps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Hoping someone can help me out. i'm putting an order in for new irons and wanting to have a swingweight of D3.

Mizuno doesn't offer (at least from the retailer i'm going through) Lamkin crossline midsize. I'll eventually use these grips in the future which i believe are around 62g

I have the option of using the GP Multicompound midsize only offered in black and white, or i could choose a colored version of the regular and use 4 wraps. Does anyone know or recommend if the additional wraps will give me the additional weight that the midsize would give me. I don't want to order D3 with a grip and wraps, and then later on put a midsize heavier grip on and reduce the swingweight.

Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 462

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

Standard grip tape for Golf is 2 grams for each layer, 3 layers = 1 SW point as Counterweight . 4 wraps is 1 1/3 SW point
New Decade as Mid vs standard gives a difference of just above 2 SW points (before we recalc build up)

Difference on the SW scale is about 1 SW point between this 2 options

#3 Awalkspoiled

Awalkspoiled

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3924
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

The additional wraps will weigh very close to what the additional rubber in a midsize grip would weigh.

BUT! I strongly recommend picking a swingweight using a standard grip, unless you know you like very hefty clubs. If you try to achieve D3 with a 62gm grip, or the equivalent amount of tape, you'll be adding 5 gm to each head, really more like 7gm given the step to D3 from D2, and the balance and flex of each club will be affected. If you build to D3 with a 52 gm grip, then replace with a midsize, you'll MEASURE  at D0.5 but the club will still perform like a D3.
Taylormade 300 Tour Holy Grail/6Q3
Cally XHP 15/Altus
Cally XHP 18/23/ Saga/Altus hb
5-GW RBT/Program 95/130
Scratch D/D 54/Program 130
Bettinardi QB3

#4 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

trying to understand as much as this as i can but still not quite on the builders level. if i let you know what i want, can someone explain what i need to order.

Thanks 'awalkspoiled'   what you mentioned makes sense so i am going to order regular grips and only add 2 wraps. I can then play more wraps or a midsize later, and even though the swingweight will go down, techinically the feel won't change, correct? basically ordering D4 with a regular grip and then changing grips to a midsize and ignoring the new measured swingweight is the way to go?   will ordering regular with the 2 wraps matter compared to straight regular. i'd like to not have to change grips as soon as i get irons but if it matters i'll just order regular without wraps.

I am hoping to get the swingweight around d3-d4.

Tour Velvet mid - 53.5g
*new whiteout MultiCompound  49.5g reg

******This is what i'm thinking about ordering and hopefully someone can correct me if something seems backwards...
MP64
KBS Tour S
+1/2 2* upright
GolfPride Tour NewDecade Multicompound  49.5 grams w 2 wraps (wraps add additional 4 grams, or 2 each wrap?)
if i order D4, i can always change to the mid multicompound later and even though it will measure less than d4 i shouldn't worry?

is this a typical setup, and will the +1/2 shaft affect any of my decisions. Is this something that Mizuno will be able to do? I assume Mizuno will factor the extra length into my request.

Thanks for all the help, combination of OCD and wanting to to understand how different grips affect swingweights.

Anyone also know what a typical swingweight on Tour is or are they all over the board based on individual preference.
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#5 Awalkspoiled

Awalkspoiled

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3924
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Mizuno should have no trouble accomodating those specs and they seem very reasonable to me. They'll need to use slightly heavier heads, even with the +1/2" length, because KB have a pretty high balance point, but that shouldn't be an issue.

D3 is very typical on Tour for irons, with many guys liking D5 or thereabouts for SW and LW

Taylormade 300 Tour Holy Grail/6Q3
Cally XHP 15/Altus
Cally XHP 18/23/ Saga/Altus hb
5-GW RBT/Program 95/130
Scratch D/D 54/Program 130
Bettinardi QB3

#6 prestiege

prestiege

M to the I to Z to the UNO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88848
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

more than likely mizuno is going to use the lighter heads since your going +1/2", ive ordered numerous sets at +1/2" w/ kbs tour and requested D4, they always come in at D0-D2.  they tell me its the best they can do since kbs tour are a counter balance shaft.  your best option may be to go standard length to ensure you get the heavier head and add extensions.  

i have a set of mp 59's that were ordered kbs tour X flex soft stepped @ +1/2 @ D4" i installed 4 wraps and GP VDR midsize, the VDR is 57 grams and total weight of the 6 iron 442 grams.
i bought the floor model store special mp 69 with kbs tour stiff standard specs.  i installed 1/2" extensions, 4 wraps and midsive NDMC, the NDMC is 59 grams.  total weight is 447 grams.

the grips have a 2 gram difference but the X flex tours are 130 grams the stiff are 120, im guessing this is uncut weight but still proves the mp69 head is significantly heavier.  i never weighed the the extension but i doubt it can weight 10 grams to make up the shaft weight difference

personally i dont care about the specific SW scale readings.  i just like a heavier club where i can feel the head and where its at during the swing.  from now on from mizuno, i will be ordering standard length and adding extensions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors