Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How many of you do your own work on your club?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sung1018

sung1018

Yeah, I crush alot.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82864
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Recently I had 5 clubs worked on. I had replaced shaft for my fw and hybrids. However, some of the work was terrible quality of work and had to get redone several times till it was done right. In fact, golfsmith had to replace one of my new club they had messed. After numerous trip, I had it with these terrible club builders. I done grips before. But extracting shaft seems the only problem I be facing. I guess you will need the right tools for it. I just had it with these incompetent idiots messing up my clubs.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 33 Handicap

33 Handicap

Psalms 37:23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75705
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

I had an issue at the Golfsmith in KS earlier this year. I had a new shaft placed in but the ferrule continue crack or come off. After having it replaced twice I got tired of driving all the way over there,now I cannot find the receipt.  Now that I read this post I am going to find it and have them fix it again.

#3 cereall

cereall

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189354
  • Ebay ID:yz450gn
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Find an independent shop.

Golf Smith.... sucks with work, some are ok but must are incompetent.

My dealing with independent shops have been great.
Always good to do on your own however, I work on my own and once you buy the tools, you are set and can learn

#4 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 736

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

I don't have a shaft extractor or loft/lie machine, but I do any new builds with graphite, everything with steel (torch and thick glove) and all grip work.  Once my house is finished, I plan on getting the stuff I'm missing to go totally full service.  You have to bend a lot of clubs to recoup the cost of the loft/lie machine, but I think it'll be worth it to have one on hand.

I still must be about the luckiest Golfsmith customer around.  In the 3 states I've used their services I've never had a bad experience.  I had a steel shaft thrown in my 510 TP here in Franklin not too long back and they did a perfect job.

#5 jdhallissey

jdhallissey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24316
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Club work is not hard. It is also very easy to screw up some pricey shafts. Steel iron shafts blow torch a rag (wet) and you can do anything with them. If you want to pull graphite shafts out of woods then a shaft puller and a heat gun ONLY.

#6 nitram

nitram

Take Dead Aim

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28973
  • Handicap:+2.7
  • Ebay ID:fmrtrp
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

Just find some old POS to practice on before you try working on what you want to game.

I guess if you do honk it up you can tell everyone you took it to GS.

Edited by nitram, 03 December 2012 - 08:07 PM.

SLDR 430 JDM 10* Matrix TP6HD
Exotics CB2 15* Matrix TP7HD
Exotics CB5 2H/17 Fujikura 904HB
Bridgestone J40 CB 3-P DGTI X100
Miura 1957 C57/Y53 DGS400
Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)

#7 Dr. Shankenstein

Dr. Shankenstein

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121184
  • Ebay ID:mdcmdeal
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

View Postjdhallissey, on 30 November 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

Club work is not hard. It is also very easy to screw up some pricey shafts. Steel iron shafts blow torch a rag (wet) and you can do anything with them. If you want to pull graphite shafts out of woods then a shaft puller and a heat gun ONLY.
I have ruined my fair share of pricey shafts. For sure get a good extractor. I got a hydraulic puller of the 'bay for about $125. For the amount of tinkering I like to do, I paid for that puller several times over. I use a heat gun on graphite and butane on steel.
TM SLDR 10.5* Fubuki Alpha 60x5ct
Cally X-Hot 17* 4w stock PxV
Cally X-Hot 22* & 19* stock shafts
Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-P NSPro 1050GH
SnakeEyes 695lz 54*&60* DG spinners
Rife Aussie Mallet/Rife Abaco
WITB Link

#8 joec65

joec65

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83047
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Been doing all of my own work for quite a few years.  My area had a very limited amount of golf shops so there was no other option to get quality work.  The local on-course pro shop were good at times, depending on who the assistant/apprentice was at the time, but always had a high turnover of the younger pros.

Over the years, I've learned to do most of the repair procedures and purchased the required equipment.  First, things like grips and re-whipping (yes, this was in the 80's), then steel shaft reshafting and swingweighting.  Learned a little at a time until I've learned and had the equipment to do just about everything.

Now some of the local pros send me their personal clubs to work on or call for help when they get something that they are not sure how to handle.

My advice, start small and progress as needed.  This site has been great, with a lot of knowledgable people that are willing to share.  Lots of great advice and tips on here, even for a person that has a lot of experience.

Good luck

#9 sung1018

sung1018

Yeah, I crush alot.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82864
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

View Postjoec65, on 30 November 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

Been doing all of my own work for quite a few years.  My area had a very limited amount of golf shops so there was no other option to get quality work.  The local on-course pro shop were good at times, depending on who the assistant/apprentice was at the time, but always had a high turnover of the younger pros.

Over the years, I've learned to do most of the repair procedures and purchased the required equipment.  First, things like grips and re-whipping (yes, this was in the 80's), then steel shaft reshafting and swingweighting.  Learned a little at a time until I've learned and had the equipment to do just about everything.

Now some of the local pros send me their personal clubs to work on or call for help when they get something that they are not sure how to handle.

My advice, start small and progress as needed.  This site has been great, with a lot of knowledgable people that are willing to share.  Lots of great advice and tips on here, even for a person that has a lot of experience.

Good luck
I haven't asked but does golf smith or other shop just pull heads from the shaft? If so what do they usually charge? I think I could do the prep and install on my own. However, I am not sure how I can dress up the ferrel. I guess this will be another problem. Maybe high grit sand paper ?
I prob better off doing it on my own then trust those idiots at golfsmith. It's shame my guy quit.

#10 TripleGrindSole

TripleGrindSole

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151201
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

^^^ they charged me 18 to pull a shaft and install a shaft pull that I brought in.

That was the day I decided to do all the club work myself. It has now turned into my favorite hobby.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 1fairway2another

1fairway2another

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137597
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

so far i do all my own work, it saves a lot of money and is pretty easy. It also makes it fun when your out on the course and your using stuff you put together. Its scary at first though worrying about messing up.

#12 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2251

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

I do most of my own stuff, I don't have a loft/lie machine though so if i need those checked or adjusted i take them to my golf galaxy. I know pretty much every guy and have spent so much money in there they usually well check them all and if they are on they dont even charge me. if they have to make adjustments they do, but they make me deals all the time. Clubwork is fun, especially building clubs. I had a whole bag of clubs i built myself just over a year ago and really loved that fact. Just to say i did it you know? But honestly, it makes no sense buying all that you need to buy and putting together an appropriate area to do it if its not something you are going to jump into as almost a separate hobby from playing golf. To have all that you need just to do the work you need done? Might be cheaper to look for a better place to take it. But if like to tinker, get a high quality puller, a good swing weight scale, a heat gun, a small torch, some gloves, and all the ancillary stuff like ferrules and epoxy and and have at it! Its a blast and can be very rewarding.
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#13 FEWO

FEWO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194540
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

Find a good clubffitter and stick with them! The only clubwork ill do is paintfill. ill tell my clubfitter what i want but when it comes to lofts/lies, shafts, even grips ill leave it to the experts. ill only dink around with cosmetics stuff....

#14 tommy89

tommy89

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176874
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

Yup, there's not much i can't do myself :)
Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Wishon 919fd 14
Mizuno MP titanium
Mizuno MP54 3-pw
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 WHP
WITB Link

#15 plus8

plus8

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90462
  • Ebay ID:wbrancher
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

I do my own stuff on mine, my wife's, and some (gripping, shaft swaps, etc) for select friends, with very (very) few exceptions.  Takes a little patience, but is easy if you have any dexterity at all, and can do simple math (to calculate grips, trim points on parallel shafts, etc. Also, way back in time, I used to build component clubs.  It was fun, pretty cheap, and effective.

#16 hound25

hound25

Advanced

• 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156009
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

It's very easy really and you can find plenty of how to videos on YouTube. I think I have about $250 dollars or so into my equipment ( puller, saw, vice, drill bit sanding tool, razor knife). It has paid for itself several times over considering what you have to pay to get stuff done. For loft/lie, swing weight and ferrule finishing, I would have to get that stuff done. But once you have loft/lie adjusted, how often do you really need that done?
Ping Anser 8.5*, 80xx Ahina, 45.25"
Ping G20, 15*, tour x
Ping Rapture DI, TFC 949 Xflex
Ping i25 4-6, S55 7-Pw. DGTI S400
PING Nome TR, 35" slight arc
Ping tour rustique 50, 55, 60

#17 Johnny T

Johnny T

GolfWRX True Temper Test Panel

• 1,909 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77624
GolfWRX Likes : 181

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'm just starting to get into building my own clubs.  I have regripped my own stuff for a couple of years and over that time I have gathered the equipment/tools to starting doing everything else.  I still need a few things, mainly a swingweight scale (and my chop saw that is backordered), but other than that I can most of what I need done.  The only thing I plan on buying is a loft/lie machine.  Everything has been surprisingly easy to do....except turning ferrules....still suck at that (those linen belts take material off in a hurry!).
Cobra Bio Cell - ?
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 - Fubuki Tour 73
Nike Covert Tour - Kuro Kage 80
Titleist AP2 714 - Modus3 130
Nike VR Forged 54/58 - S400
Cleveland Classic 6.0 Counterbalance

#18 Jon Robert

Jon Robert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163937
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

"How many of you do your own work on your club?"

I have been for 20 years. I even built my own lie and loft bending machine.  I will give some  advice. If you are timid and afraid then don't.  If you are like a terrier after a squirrle then go ahead. By this I mean if you will be all depressed because you put a small mark on the club or shaft then don't. If you are fully prepared to destroy a club beyond repair and don't blink then go ahead and do it. I have snapped brittle clubs trying to bend them and I just welded them back together and made them look pretty again. But I know people who would be terrified if there was a grass stain on their precious babies.

As far as shaft tools go. A vice and pad of some sort, electric heat gun, gloves, drill bit to clean out gunk

You got to start with the right attitude/aptitude

#19 wrmiller

wrmiller

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100475
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

I regrip, reshaft, swingweight, spine/flo. Am looking to get a loft/lie machine (irons and putter) and either a frequency or moi analyzer. Also need a rig to turn ferrules down. Great hobby.  :)
Some people speak when they have
something to say. Others speak because
they have to say something.

#20 BCC

BCC

Whatever works !!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36183
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

[attachment=1437777:shop 010.JPG]I'm spoiled......

R11 S Tour AD DI 6x
4 wood R9 TP BlueBoard 83
4 Hybrid R11 JavlnFx 95 X
TM MC 2012 Tour Issue 4-pw KBS Tour S
Vokey SM4 50/54/SM5 58K KBS Tour S
KP1 raw---TM TP5

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Ri_Redneck

Ri_Redneck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31808
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Been doing my own work since '86. Yes, you need some tools. Good thing is, most of them never wear out, so you only have to buy them once.

BT
Cobra ACP w/ Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 R
R11 T3/14*, 4/17*, 5/19* w/ GD YS+ 8.1 S
Titleist 695CB 4-PW w/ steelfiber i110 R
Custom Natural Touch Macasser Ebony
Vokey SM4 52-8 & 58-8 w/ TT Wedge

#22 tommy89

tommy89

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176874
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostBCC, on 01 December 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Attachment shop 010.JPGI'm spoiled......

I'm jealous :D
Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Wishon 919fd 14
Mizuno MP titanium
Mizuno MP54 3-pw
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 WHP
WITB Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors