Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putting woes....Tips and foundation needed.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jonnybagadonuts

Jonnybagadonuts

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136599
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Thanks to Mr. Geoff jones and his techniques my ball striking is more consistent then it ever was. Iam compressing the ball
very well and my GIR is up %30+.

However my short game is keeping me in the high 70's- low 80's. Mainly putting,  My ultimate goal is to break par. However
iam never getting their with my current putting ( 32 avg putts per round).

I need a " Geoff Jones " of putting style technique something that is proven and works but also takes time
to instill and learn however is a rock solid foundation.

My current style is opening the blade on the way back on a slight arc and releasing through the ball. Ive tried straight
back and through. mallet putters etc etc . But nothing seems to make my putting better.

Suggestions and drills would be awesome. Thanks.

Edited by Jonnybagadonuts, 30 November 2012 - 04:15 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 mikpga

mikpga

Jammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

How close are you chipping and pitching the ball to the hole?

#3 CHRIS509

CHRIS509

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14039
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Just a quick read of your post and my first thought was that your over thinking.

Don't think how, just do.
Stop over controlling your stroke, have a little trust.
Think target, target target.

I know this sounds simplistic but it's meant too, build trust in your stroke then polish the technique.

Cheers Chris

Edited by CHRIS509, 30 November 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#4 Jonnybagadonuts

Jonnybagadonuts

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

View Postmikpga, on 30 November 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

How close are you chipping and pitching the ball to the hole?

Managable distances from around the green 5 ft and in . Half wedge shots
Are usually 10 ft give or take .

#5 ej002

ej002

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27552
GolfWRX Likes : 353

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Check your green reading - (aim point or geoff mangum).

Get more athletic with your stroke, just roll it out there.  I find that right hand only drills (like Tiger does) helps me get more athletic with the stroke.  You can't really jab at it with the right hand, the drills gets the head flowing.

Fix your routine.  Focus on your target and walk into the putt right before you putt.  I practice stroke, back off and come in focused and let it rip.

These things helped me tremendously this year.

#6 Jonnybagadonuts

Jonnybagadonuts

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the tips. I keep these in mind and try my best to get more focused. I always find my self changing my
intended line when i get over the ball. Maybe i need to learn to commit and develop a better routine.

#7 PuttingDoctor

PuttingDoctor

The Putting Doctor

• 2,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70135
  • Ebay ID:The Putting Doctor
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

Johnny, the stroke you mention is going to rely on precise timing at impact each and every time you swing the putter.  The tips above are valid.  I would suggest that you find out what's really going on in your stroke via SAM PuttLab or high speed video.

Mentioned above is routine and I couldn't agree more... BUT... you have to have sound fundamentals before you ingrain routine.

Your avatar doesn't let us know where you are... we could help everyone with recommendations if they would edit their setting to include their location.  Not much sense telling a golfer in Feb. to go practice outdoors if he's in the great white north....etc.  We might also have someone close who can help you.

If your GIR is getting much better 32 putts isn't far from being 29 and much better.  A focused practice routine with sound fundamentals and a putter that fits will all help.

#8 plus8

plus8

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90462
  • Ebay ID:wbrancher
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

Good thread!  I'm having similar issues - end up with many rounds of 36-42 putts (or more).  I read the Pelz book and tried to make my putting adhere to the book and very mechanical movement -- big mistake! I haven't totally cracked it yet, but the 'athletic' suggestions work for me - I seem to putt better if I don't try to over-analyze the putt, and not too much thinking or stiff mechanical stuff seems to be the best way to attack this.

Great suggestions that can help everyone!

Edited by plus8, 01 December 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#9 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 531

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I also don't think guys experiment enough with their putting grip. Try everything until something feels right. For me it's pointing my right index finger down the shaft with everything else pretty standard.

#10 airjammer

airjammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28903
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

For me the starting point is can you roll the ball on your intened line 75% of the time?  If not your stroke/aim is off.  I went from being a poor putter to a better than average in one week.  I'm partial to the stricker grip "varden" and then just arch your hands high to create a pressure point in the right wrist and just power the stroke with the shoulders.  Buy a eyeline putting mirror put down a chalk line.  Setup square and get to work.  If you can roll the ball down that line consistantly you will be a force to reckon with.  David orr.is recommended.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 CHRIS509

CHRIS509

Tour Winner

• 774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14039
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

View Postairjammer, on 01 December 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

For me the starting point is can you roll the ball on your intened line 75% of the time?  If not your stroke/aim is off.  I went from being a poor putter to a better than average in one week.  I'm partial to the stricker grip "varden" and then just arch your hands high to create a pressure point in the right wrist and just power the stroke with the shoulders.  Buy a eyeline putting mirror put down a chalk line.  Setup square and get to work.  If you can roll the ball down that line consistantly you will be a force to reckon with.  David orr.is recommended.

This is a great post.
All good/great putters start the ball on their chosen line 99 out of 100.
perfect this and enjoy the results.

Enjoying the thread.

#12 dtrance

dtrance

Professional Golf Enthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78426
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

I took up golf seriously about 6 years ago and up until last year putting use to be the worst part of my game.  I remember being terrified of 3 footers and thinking 3 putt - anything outside of 20 feet.  32 putts in one round would have been a good day.

Was it my mechanics?
I switched between sbst and arcing.  Claw grip, left hand low and a couple grips I made up.

Equipment perhaps?
Blade, mallets, and all combinations of heal and center shafts and all varieties of necks.  Even tried a belly for a bit.  Also switched back and forth with and without sharpie line on the ball to help with alignment.

Maybe some better wisdom?
Pelz, Utley, Stockton, Rotella ... you name it I was immersed in it at one point.  Was it worth the time?  I got some nuggets of info but I think my time would have been better spent practicing.

I can honestly say I can not remember the last time I 3 putted.  I'll typically take anywhere from 27 to 32 putts a round.  Through all the trial and error I went through I believe the most important thing about putting is that you have to be comfortable in your own skin standing over the putt with ZERO anxiety, ZERO tension.  Focusing on my breathing really helped me in that regard.

When I am on the green my reads are quick and decisive.  Don't give your self time to deliberate unless its a crazy difficult putt.  Some guys like to take practice putts but I don't.  Simply visualize how the ball will roll into the hole, place your putter head on the line you picked and set your feet.  Take one long glare at the hole and inhale at the same time.  Place your eyes over the ball execute the entire putting stroke while exhaling.  This is how I am able to putt tension free.  Oh, and if you miss it oh well - the next one will be a breeze.

Now in terms of mechanics, its far more important that you commit to one or the other and PRACTICE being consistent using that method.  The same goes with grip, whatever you are comfortable with.  I spent a lot of hours on the putting green with impact tape, making sure I struck the ball in the same place.  There are countless examples of great putters with different strokes and grips.  Just look at all the pga tour players. It all goes back to what YOU are comfortable with.  I use a traditional putting grip with a sbst stroke.

Now as far as equipment I am gaming a mid mallet seemore.  If you are familiar with their RST alignment aid, it really gives you the confidence that you are setup the same EVERY time.  The most important thing is that the lie angle match your posture and anatomy.  The sole should rest flat on the ground.  Don't coerce your body into doing this, match the equipment to your natural putting posture.  I play a 68* lie putter, which is flat compared to stock putters typically 70-72 degrees.  And no, I am not a seemore salesman but I do own 3 of them.

I hope what I have learned as helped someone.  I know what its like to be really frustrated and addicted to this silly game of golf.

@OP

Geoff is a great guy, I truly believe he is one of the best instructors out there and I plan to see him again soon.  As far as your search for the slicefixer of putting, I don't think you will ever find one because putting is such a personal thing.

Edited by dtrance, 01 December 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#13 Jon Robert

Jon Robert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163937
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Try the Jack Nicklaus push stroke.

http://books.google.... stroke&f=false

Edited by Jon Robert, 01 December 2012 - 11:59 PM.

#14 HitBall

HitBall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 169981
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

I too am looking for the solution to a repeatable putting stroke. Still need to do the chalk line, Pelz putting tutor, and ball between two tees drill. I've been working with a cheap version of the Sklz putting mat from Academy. Its weird how you can drain putts in the comfort of your home with no sunlight or discolored greens lol.

I did have a revelation today after yanking putts on an uneven slope (right to lefter). My epiphany was that when on an uneven surface with the ball higher than your feet it is best to go SBST almost defying gravity. If you try to arc on a slope you will tend to overarc due to gravity/uneven surface and yank it left.

Edited by HitBall, 02 December 2012 - 03:01 AM.

#15 parallax

parallax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207597
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

View PostJonnybagadonuts, on 30 November 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

My current style is opening the blade on the way back on a slight arc and releasing through the ball. Ive tried straight
back and through. mallet putters etc etc . But nothing seems to make my putting better.

If you take your wrists and hands out of the equation, and only tur your torso, the putter will move in a natural arc, and the face will be consistently parallel to that arc.

You shouldn't be opening, or closing (SBST) the face relative to the arc.

#16 Jon Robert

Jon Robert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163937
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

View Postparallax, on 02 December 2012 - 02:59 AM, said:

View PostJonnybagadonuts, on 30 November 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

If you take your wrists and hands out of the equation, and only tur your torso, the putter will move in a natural arc, and the face will be consistently parallel to that arc.

You shouldn't be opening, or closing (SBST) the face relative to the arc.

"You shouldn't be opening, or closing (SBST) the face relative to the arc."
Actually today I was trying to perfect the opposite.  I was fanning the finish/follow through to the up slope side of the putt.  If I was facing down hill (putting side hill) I was closing the blade, if facing up hill opening the face. If I was going straight up I found closing a hair was better.
I found that there was a distinct advantage to doing so.  I was using a vintage Grand Slam blade and found that it made the misses more consistent.  I believe this is on the order of the hardest shot in golf is the straight shot. It is much easier to deliberately curve the ball; however I fanned the clubface after the hit not before. I think doing so imparting more control on producing a square face.  I was going to fail off in only one direction rather than failing off in a surprise direction of one of the two possible producing more consistency
Just another technique to consider.

Edited by Jon Robert, 02 December 2012 - 10:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors