Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

why hinge the wrists?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 golftejas

golftejas

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131694
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Steve Stricker is a player with very little wrist hinge.  He has very good accuracy on his wedges, with very limited wrist hinge, so it can be an effective technique.  I haven't looked at Steve's driver swing recently, but I'm sure you could probably find it on YouTube - - he's never been considered long with the driver, and isn't considered deadly accurate with the driver either.  So, some positives and some negatives.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

View Postpcourtney, on 04 January 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

Doug Tewell likens his technique to JB Holmes  ( does anyone know about his "Square to Square" teaching on DVD ) ???

http://tinyurl.com/apzxo5y

And I quote :

Won't a 3/4 Swing Make Me Lose Distance?
This is one of the biggest questions I get. And I always reference PGA pro J.B. Holmes...
J.B. is a classic example of a 3/4 swing player. His backswing never even comes close to parallel, and his wrist c0ck is virtually nonexistent. But he EXPLODES through the ball and smashes drives that makes everyone's jaws drop in amazement.
Posted Image
J.B. averages 309.7 yards on tour.
J.B. is consistently near the top of the Driving Distance rankings for the Tour, outpacing other younger, more nimble players with bigger turns. Yet J.B.'s 3/4 length swing STILL outdrives them. Why? Because he knows that a huge shoulder turn is NOT the key to big-time distance. There's more--MUCH more--involved. And in the Square-to-Square program, I'll reveal every little detail on how to not only keep your current distance--but possibly even ADD more yards. How does that grab you?

JB looks like he has a massive shoulder turn in that picture.  Not much wrist c0ck but plenty of turn.

#33 Jersey golfer

Jersey golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119755
  • Handicap:14.5
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Doug Tewell likens his technique to JB Holmes  ( does anyone know about his "Square to Square" teaching on DVD ) ???

And I quote :

This is one of the biggest questions I get. And I always reference PGA pro J.B. Holmes...
J.B. is a classic example of a 3/4 swing player. His backswing never even comes close to parallel, and his wrist c0ck is virtually nonexistent. But he EXPLODES through the ball and smashes drives that makes everyone's jaws drop in amazement.
Posted Image
J.B. is consistently near the top of the Driving Distance rankings for the Tour, outpacing other younger, more nimble players with bigger turns. Yet J.B.'s 3/4 length swing STILL outdrives them. Why? Because he knows that a huge shoulder turn is NOT the key to big-time distance. There's more--MUCH more--involved. And in the Square-to-Square program, I'll reveal every little detail on how to not only keep your current distance--but possibly even ADD more yards. How does that grab you?

And I quote :

Posted Image

Looks like Mr. Tewell stole Don Trahan's method.

#34 pcourtney

pcourtney

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38639
  • Ebay ID:peecee999
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

could well be

Don is now 64 years old, and they do seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet :-)
Titleist 913D3   913FD   913HD
Hogan Apex Tour Pro irons
Bettinardi Wedges and Putters

#35 Panhandleprophet

Panhandleprophet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181534
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

Everyone, even those who aren't trying to do it, cocks the wrists somewhat in the backswing.  The weight of the clubhead as you approach the top of the backswing dictates this.  You can't hit the ball without releasing the wrists in the hitting area.  It is a physical impossibility.  However, light grip pressure makes the release a matter of centrifugal force rather than conscious effort.

#36 Panhandleprophet

Panhandleprophet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'm fairly new to this site and maybe someone can help me with a question.  Don Strahan mentions that his clubs are shorter than standard.  Does anyone know how tall Don is and how much shorter than standard his clubs are?

#37 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostJobu, on 30 November 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

it takes the club off plane, narrows the swing arc, must be released (causing 99% of swing faults), drains power, etc.
hinging the wrists drains power ?

Do you think you can sling a tether ball around a pole with a slack rope?

My shafts are steel.  that's your problem.  You are using rope between the grip and the clubhead.

Don Trahan's odd looking swing.  

Posted Image

Lots of wrist c0ck / hinge.

Edited by SunkTheBirdie, 01 April 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#38 vman

vman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26713
  • Handicap:Pro

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

If you're not hinging your wrists when you swing likelihood is you're just putting.

Edited by vman, 01 April 2013 - 03:59 PM.

ADAMS XTD 9* PX LZ60
ADAMS XTD TI 15* PX LZ70
ADAMS DHY 18*21*,24*,27*
CALLAWAY RAZR TOUR 6-9
CLEVELAND ROTEX 46* 52* 58*
YES DONNA

#39 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

View Postvman, on 01 April 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

If you're not hinging your wrists when you swing likelihood is you're just putting.
or playing hockey.

Edited by SunkTheBirdie, 02 April 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#40 goobers80

goobers80

gooberSammy - I have Autism

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168463
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:goobies2007
GolfWRX Likes : 731

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hinging coulds probably drain powers ands other things if done badly or forced. It coulds definitely make swing arc less than shoulds be. I feel peoples shoulds develop a sequence where it just happens , nots consciously done.

Be Yourself Always
TaylorMade SLDR 9.5* , 3 wood , hybrid
13* 712u , SpeedBlade 3 & 4 irons
TaylorMade TP CB 5-AW
TaylorMade Tour Preferred 58* ATV wedge
Yes! Callie , Cleveland Classic #1
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 Panhandleprophet

Panhandleprophet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostSunkTheBirdie, on 01 April 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

View PostJobu, on 30 November 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

it takes the club off plane, narrows the swing arc, must be released (causing 99% of swing faults), drains power, etc.
hinging the wrists drains power ?

Do you think you can sling a tether ball around a pole with a slack rope?

My shafts are steel.  that's your problem.  You are using rope between the grip and the clubhead.

Don Trahan's odd looking swing.  

Posted Image

Lots of wrist c0ck / hinge.
That is correct.  Excellent clarification.

#42 DrawShotGolf

DrawShotGolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45148

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Attached File  DSCN2247.JPG   72.5K   0 downloads

This is what Tewell is referring to. The opposite of "cupping" the left wrist. Tewell and Holmes are a little more upright than Trevino but the technique of putting the wrists in a cast through impact and into the follow-through keeps the clubface on line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors