Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Getting from the lesson tee to the 1st tee

information retention distraction topping the ball

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 zakkozuchowski

zakkozuchowski

GolfWRX Managing Editor

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59676
GolfWRX Likes : 286

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Posted Image

Getting from the lesson tee to the 1st tee

By Dennis Clark

GolfWRX Contributor

The longest walk in golf is from the lesson tee to the first tee. How can you retain what you have learned and take it to the course?

This is a true story: I had a lady in my school in Palm Springs, Calif., many years ago who topped almost very shot. This was because she was over the top and late --  lack of radius tops I call them.

Every time she topped the ball she would say, "Oh there I go again, I picked my head up," to which I would reply, "No, you moved your body well before you got your arms down and extended. On this next swing, let's get your arms and club down to the bottom of the ball."

Sure enough by Tuesday or so, she was behind the ball, extending her arms and hitting most every shot in the air. Later in the week, I was actually able to talk to her about the body turning through on the downswing as well. These were 5-day schools at that time and long story short, she had a good week with GREAT improvement. So on Friday we would give them a review. I asked if she understood the nature of her swing flaw and she said she was good to go.

"I can't believe I hit that many balls in the air this week," she said.

I left California and came back home to New Jersey for the spring and summer season.  About a month after I was back, the woman from the school called.  She said, "We just got home to Pennsylvania for the season and I can't stop topping the ball."She asked if she could come out for a lesson. Sure, I said.

After watching her top five in a row, I asked her why she was doing that and she said -- wait for it -- "I must have picked up my head!"

It was then and there I knew I'd never be out of work! Golfers have great memories; they are just short. Why can't you take it to the course? Why does "it" leave when the pro leaves? How many times have you had a GREAT lesson and walked away and started slicing or shanking again?  Too often I'm sure.  This is the bane of the amateur golfer, so we need to take a look at why.

Im going to make a short list of the things I see that are a hindrance to learning and that create a poor learning environment. In my experience, thay are the root cause of not retaining information.

Nerves: Most golfers are really uptight when they arrive for the first lesson. They fear failure and being embarrassed in front of a pro as if their swing is the worst I have ever seen. It's so bad at times that I think the first 15 minutes or so of a lesson are a total waste of time.

Preconceived notions: Most golfers come to a lesson thinking they already know what the problem is. The golf propaganda lingo is so entrenched in their brains, I often wonder why they need us teachers?  If I had a dollar for every time someone told me they are picking their head up or "coming over it," I could buy a new car. Cash.

Adversity to change: I'm sure the teachers reading this will agree that if the student could see the lesson through our eyes, they would relalize how resistent they are to change. It's like rigormortis has set in to live humans. Frail, gentle souls become beasts with a club in their hands. Tension the terrible.

External distractions: As a student, you are filled with the internal distractions I mentoned.  The last thing you need are EXTERNAL distractions. These might include everything from a busy driving range to bad weather to cell phones or distracting noises -- anything that make it hard to concentrate on what you're learning.

Passive learning: Many times the student becomes too dependent on the teacher to "tell" them what to do; somehow he/she will connect the dots for me. Even if it's not working yet, I'll get it later. This is passive learning, bump on a log waiting for osmosis or some divine intervention.

Here are a few suggestions for taking lessons that i think are more effective.

Relax: You dont have the worst swing in the world, you are just fine. Pat yourself on the back for being out there and trying to improve. I admire anyone who has the courage to say, "HELP"! I have been teaching for a very long time and believe me, whatever you're going to show me, I have seen it before! Let's have FUN, let's play ... this is golf not a life threatening illness. If the doctor says "get your affairs in order," that's time worry. Don't worry about a golf lesson!

Leave your own swing theories at the door: Most likely you are victim of the 19th hole lesson syndrome. Golf is the only game with more teachers than players. Your friends are well intended, but not always well informed. Open your mind to what the instructor suggests and don't try to tell him/her what your problem is. There's a good chance they already know.

Be ready to change: Stay open to all suggestions, and try anything the teacher asks. The old way wasn't working. That's why you signed up. My favorite line is:

"That feels strange."

Of course it feels strange; you have been doing it another way for 20 years and this way for 20 minutes. My experience tells me that only those really willing to change are going to improve.

Peace and quiet: You are better off with a serene, quiet lesson place away from the maddening crowds of other golfers or any other signs of civilization. The internal distractions are numerous, eliminate the EXTERNAL ones.  You have to be able to hear and converse clearly with your teacher and focus on what youre learning.

Be an active learner: Example: The teacher says, you have to hit more from the inside; try this. Did it work?  If not, ask for another way to feel it. Did it work? If not, ask for another way to feel it. Sooner or later you are both going to arrive on a way for YOU to feel the inside.  That's when you can move on. You must abandon the "I'll get it later" mentality and learn to get it now!

My goal for every one of my students is to understand WHY they did not succeed on a given shot. You are not going to hit great shots every swing -- that cat is already out of the bag -- but, if you know WHY you failed BEFORE you leave the lesson, you have a much better chance of retaining it.

Finally, look around you. You are playing the greatest game in the world in a beautiful setting among friends. What could be better than that? Relax and enjoy, it will make you're lesson easier to understand and retain.

By the way, I am writing this on the evening of the big lottery drawing, like a zillion bucks or something, And if I win, guess what I'm going to do tomorrow?  Yea you got it, I'm gonna play and teach golf!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors