Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* - - - - 3 votes

Why do golf’s ruling bodies keep making the game more difficult?

usga r&a cor groove rule anchored ban

125 replies to this topic

#1 zakkozuchowski

zakkozuchowski

GolfWRX Managing Editor

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59676
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Posted Image

Why do golf’s ruling bodies keep making the game more difficult?

By Joseph Bidwell

GolfWRX Contributor

Golf is one of the most difficult games on the planet. So why is it that golf’s ruling bodies, the USGA and R&A, continue to establish new rules that make the game more difficult?

The argument is often made that we need to protect the integrity of the game. If that is the case, we need to all immediately go back to using all wooden clubs and feathery golf balls. And let’s go back to letting sheep maintain our golf courses, too.

Innovation is good for the game. Lower scores are more entertaining at the professional level, and much more fun for the amateur golfer. They bring more fans, more revenue, more players and a generally healthier industry.
Let’s look at the last three major decisions with respect to the rules of golf:
  • Limiting the spring-like effect (COR) of drivers
Limiting the coefficient of restitution (COR) in a driver limits the distance that golfers will hit a golf ball. Longer drives bring crowds to PGA Tour events. Bubba Watson is one of the hottest players on the PGA Tour and John Daly is still popular for this very reason.  Amateur players benefit from hitting shorter clubs into every hole with a hotter driver.
  • Dulling grooves in wedges and irons
Controlling a groove’s volume and sharpness limits the amount of backspin that can be generated, particularly out of lies in the rough. This will lessen the ability of golfers to hold greens, and depending on conditions it can lead to higher scores -- players will have to either pitch or chip instead of putt.
Again, lower scores lead to a more entertaining product and less enjoyment at the amateur level. If you look at scoring at the highest level, one could argue that this ruling really hasn’t affected touring pros – if it has, the changes are minimal. Amateur golfers were the one who lost in this scenario, especially the ones who like to play by the same rules as the pros and were forced to buy new wedges.
  • Anchoring of the putter
Anchoring the putter will allow some players to get more enjoyment out of the game, and for some it will allow them to play at a higher level. Some use the technique to escape the yips, while others use anchoring for health reasons. Regardless of why a player decides to use an anchoring technique, it will immediately make the game more difficult for some by not allowing all to give the technique a try.

The bottom line is that the governing bodies should not be focusing on making the game more difficult for the less than 1 percent of the golfing population that make a living playing the game. They should allow innovation to make the game more fun for us all.  Making the game more fun for most of us will also allow for a more entertaining product with lower scores. If you want to protect par in your championships, don’t make the game more difficult by changing the rules and stifling innovation. Make the rough higher, the fairways narrower and greens smaller in your course setups. Yes, I’m talking to you Mike Davis.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 moonshine

moonshine

The Trace!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

I still think it takes competitive advantage from guys gaining strokes on the green. We shall see?

#3 MJP22

MJP22

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114033
  • Handicap:9.7
  • Ebay ID:pittswimer
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

<b>The bottom line is that the governing bodies should not be focusing on making the game more difficult for the less than 1 percent of the golfing population that make a living playing the game. They should allow innovation to make the game more fun for us all.  Making the game more fun for most of us will also allow for a more entertaining product with lower scores. If you want to protect par in your championships, don’t make the game more difficult by changing the rules and stifling innovation. Make the rough higher, the fairways narrower and greens smaller in your course setups. Yes, I’m talking to you Mike Davis.</b>

I couldn't disagree more. If you want to play the game just for the pure enjoyment, play with whatever equipment you want...square grooves, polara balls, 25 clubs in your bag...I don't care. The governing bodies job is to make rules for competition and I have no problem with what and how they do it.

Also, Integrity doesn't mean keeping things originally as they were.

Edited by MJP22, 29 November 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#4 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

also disagree. making the game easier shouldn't be the objective to grow the game. i want to see the better players seperate themselves from the less skilled.

other sports dont lower the rim, or make the ball smaller or increase the goal size.  the whole idea of golf is that as hard as it is, its that much more rewarding hit good shots or putts. putting a laser on a putter would make the game easier, but draining a 10 ft putt for birdie after you just hit your 350yd drive using grease on the driver face,...not that fun

as said in numerous other posts, growing the game should start with cost and end with the pace of play. thats what deters people from playing.
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#5 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117052
  • Ebay ID:Rosco1216
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Also disagree.  I don't think the anchor ruling can even be compared to COR limits or groove changes.  What good would it do for the game if every course has to lengthen and lengthen and lengthen year after year just to keep up for "innovation" if the COR limits were to keep raising and raising.

Also speaking of making the game more difficult, I would personally love if Pro's had to play well to make a living like they did back in the day. Of course it's a completely different era now but I would love something like the following example..

Say a tournament purse is $6,000,000 with $1,000,000 million going to winner.  I wish they would cut that in half and invest the other $3,000,000 in that golf community to make the cost of playing the game much more affordable to the masses.  Most Pro's make enough money and keep making more and more each year while golf is losing more and more recreational golfers due to how expensive it is.

Edited by Rosco1216, 29 November 2012 - 01:50 PM.

SLDRs 10*-Elements Chr 8F5T tip1.5"
RBZ Stage 2 14.5*- searching
Rocketbladez Tour 3i 20* - PX Rifle 6.5
Bridgestone J40DPC 4-P, PX Rifle 6.5
Vokey SM4 black 50, 55, 62
Odyssey Versa 1W 38"

#6 Jericho

Jericho

Puttin' for birdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129498
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Disagree wholeheartedly.

1. Drivers- The current crop hits the ball further than any driver in the history of the game. You want to make them LONGER?? Lets just get rid of irons...we can all play Driver-Wedge

2. Dulling grooves- I've heard people complain about a lot of things but I've never heard an amateur complain about missing greens because of a lack of backspin. Also, non-tour level courses are flat enough to hold nearly anyshot unless you're pin-seeking on a tucked pin. If you're good enough to play conforming wedges and play by professional rules then you're good enough to know when to adjust for lie/spin

3. Anchoring the putter- Amateurs should do what they want period.

This whole article was written about how the bodies are making the game more difficult for Tour pros (which I'm fine with....seeing -20 [or lower] at a non-major tournament is boring because it's too easy. This year's US Open was awesome because Par was difficult) yet mentions how it affects amateurs. I dont know many amateurs that follow the letter of the rule.
Callaway Razr Fit 9.5 (AD DI 7S)
Callaway Razr Fit 15 (Diamana BB)
Callaway Razr X HL 21 (Diamana D+)
Callaway '13 X-Forged 4-PW (C-Taper)
Callaway Forged 52-56-60
SC Studio Select Newport 2

#7 avg_joseph

avg_joseph

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1287
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

There is a limit naturally to where the COR can go, if companies push the boundaries too much club faces would start caving in.  My simple point is that allowing for technology to make the game easier for most would really change very little at the highest level.  The most skilled players would rise to the top regardless of how much their equipment helps them and the fact that scores may be lower is in my opinion not a bad thing.  The three cases I have listed here are just examples to me that make the game more difficult for the masses.  

The longer hitters are not just the fact that equipment is better today.  We have true athletes playing the PGA Tour today.  Guys that may have made a living playing football, baseball or basketball followed their passion for golf to the PGA Tour.  Courses don't need to get longer.  What's wrong with lower scores? It's more entertaining.  My simple point that with other factors such as rough height, fairway width and green sizes you can set the golf courses up to protect par if your ego feels the need to do so...

#8 Sledge Hammer

Sledge Hammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45275
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

I kind of disagree with your original premise. They are not making the game ‘more difficult’, they are ‘maintaining the challenge’. I thought Mike Davis said it right on Golf Channel Morning Drive this morning, when he commented that something like 70% of people that responded to a USGA poll,  indicate it’s the challenge of golf that keeps them playing. Like ‘HoosierMizuno’ indicated, I think the 5 1/2+ hr rounds and the cost of equipment/greenfees is having a larger impact on the dwindling interest in golf, than how difficult the game is.

#9 HackerVance

HackerVance

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151241
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

They're manly men well above us hacking mortals, and besides Tiger said so.

#10 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1202

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

View PostMJP22, on 29 November 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

<b>The bottom line is that the governing bodies should not be focusing on making the game more difficult for the less than 1 percent of the golfing population that make a living playing the game. They should allow innovation to make the game more fun for us all.  Making the game more fun for most of us will also allow for a more entertaining product with lower scores. If you want to protect par in your championships, don't make the game more difficult by changing the rules and stifling innovation. Make the rough higher, the fairways narrower and greens smaller in your course setups. Yes, I'm talking to you Mike Davis.</b>

I couldn't disagree more. If you want to play the game just for the pure enjoyment, play with whatever equipment you want...square grooves, polara balls, 25 clubs in your bag...I don't care. The governing bodies job is to make rules for competition and I have no problem with what and how they do it.

If the USGA only claimed to make the rules for competitive play, that'd be fine...but they don't.  They claim to make the rules for ALL play...which impacts everything about the game.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostSledge Hammer, on 29 November 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

I kind of disagree with your original premise. They are not making the game ‘more difficult’, they are ‘maintaining the challenge’. I thought Mike Davis said it right on Golf Channel Morning Drive this morning, when he commented that something like 70% of people that responded to a USGA poll,  indicate it’s the challenge of golf that keeps them playing. Like ‘HoosierMizuno’ indicated, I think the 5 1/2+ hr rounds and the cost of equipment/greenfees is having a larger impact on the dwindling interest in golf, than how difficult the game is.

No, they are trying to suppress scoring at the professional level.

Please show me a recreational golfer who is threatening to demolish golf courses because he hits the ball too far (COR rule) off the tee.  Is making too many birdies, and saving too many pars because of having too much spin in his wedges, and draining too many putts because of long putters.

All while average handicaps for amateurs haven't BUDGED.
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

#12 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1000

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Only an irrational person would suggest swing the pendulum 100% in the opposite direction, to all wooden clubs, fleathery's and sheep, just to support, what appears to be, a distorted overall perception.

Contrary to what you're suggesting, its a small percentage of golfers that actually support the game weekly.. all the rest are casual participants in every way.  Sure, its hard for them and those that don't have the time to put into the game; it should be.  Its clear to me, they are not making the game more difficult.  They are trying to maintain the games integrity, without destructive impulsive thinking.  In other words, the rules of the game should never be dumbed down to accommodate the weakest, laziest or casual participants; besides, they don't play by the rules.

PS I just got back from five days of golf... During that time, of 20 golfers, only "5" people, including me, played by the rules.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 29 November 2012 - 07:10 PM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#13 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 29 November 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

Only an irrational person would suggest swing the pendulum 100% in the opposite direction, to all wooden clubs, fleathery's and sheep, just to support, what appears to be, a distorted overall perception.

Contrary to what you're suggesting, its a small percentage of golfers that actually support the game weekly.. all the rest are casual participants in every way.  Sure, its hard for them and those that don't have the time to put into the game; it should be.  Its clear to me, they are not making the game more difficult.  They are trying to maintain the games integrity, without destructive impulsive thinking.  In other words, the rules of the game should never be dumbed down to accommodate the weakest, laziest or casual participants; besides, they don't play by the rules.

PS I just got back from five days of golf... During that time, of 20 golfers, only "5" people, including me, played by the rules.

Speak, oh Keeper of the Sacred Flame....

For the Love of God, you can't be serious....

So you are basically saying is that: "Anyone who doesn't play competitively isn't really playing golf, isn't really 'supporting the game', and so their needs and energies aren't to be considered or respected when discussing the rules."...in a game that REFUSES to do what every other sensible sport does and present a specialized set of rules for professional play, versus lower levels of play."

Baseball doesn't have to worry about "dumbing itself down" at the highest levels of play to meet the needs of recreational, youth, and prep players...because it made it clear ages ago, that if you want to play in the big leagues...bring a wooden bat.  Golf refuses to make this COMMON SENSE accomodation to reality, because its governing bodies stubbornly cling to a vision of the game that hasn't been true sense the days of Bobby Jones.

Apparently you missed the part in the other thread where I mentioned the fundamental disrespect and condescending tone you present to those who do not share your viewpoint???  This is a PERFECT example of what I was talking about.

Reality check here.

All those "casual" players you show such disrespect for...their LOVE of the game makes the world you value POSSIBLE.  Without their love, it would still be a game for idle rich amateurs, and "professional" hustlers.

Edited by kellygreen, 29 November 2012 - 07:32 PM.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

#14 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1000

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

View Postkellygreen, on 29 November 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

From this point forward, I will NOT respond to your posts.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 29 November 2012 - 07:54 PM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#15 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 29 November 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

From this point forward, I will NOT respond to your posts.

Your choice, but the fact that you did not dispute my characterization of your point of view is duly noted.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

#16 MJP22

MJP22

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114033
  • Handicap:9.7
  • Ebay ID:pittswimer
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

View Postkellygreen, on 29 November 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

<b>The bottom line is that the governing bodies should not be focusing on making the game more difficult for the less than 1 percent of the golfing population that make a living playing the game. They should allow innovation to make the game more fun for us all.  Making the game more fun for most of us will also allow for a more entertaining product with lower scores. If you want to protect par in your championships, don't make the game more difficult by changing the rules and stifling innovation. Make the rough higher, the fairways narrower and greens smaller in your course setups. Yes, I'm talking to you Mike Davis.</b>

If the USGA only claimed to make the rules for competitive play, that'd be fine...but they don't.  They claim to make the rules for ALL play...which impacts everything about the game.

They make the rules for competitive play...whether that be against yourself on a Sunday afternoon, in a friendly head to head match against your brother or as far as the PGA tour. If you choose to alter the rules or don't follow at all they don't kick you off the course or try to harm your enjoyment. I can't tell you the last time every single person in the foursome I played in didn't break a minor rule such as marking your ball on the green as you line it up for your putt to not taking distance on an ob shot. Outside of competitive golf you can do as you please.

Edited by MJP22, 29 November 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#17 CHARGERS

CHARGERS

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34586
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Mr. J Bidwell
The game is supposed to be hard and challenging...thats why its been around so long.
COR: the ball goes too far, roll it back, courses are too long and it slows down play along with the extra maintence/cost...the "letting the sheep maintain" idea might be a good thing to re-visit!!!
GROOVES: no big deal, average golfer cant spin ball anyhow and the pros still posting very low scores
ANCHORING: they waited a little too long, ok double bogey. I posted they ban anchoring soon (right for once).  But I believe it was from all the groove backlash from PING and they didn't see the putter anchoring becoming so popular. Not to mention the 3 majors won, that tipped the scales big time. And players are starting to putt with them from day one.  
Bottom line, you can still use a belly or long putter, now go work on your new setup and adjust....thats all part of the game.
This great game is not made for everyone and should't be...go bowling if you want the pins in the same spot!!!
The next thing they should change or address seriously is slow play on the pro tour level, thats doing more damage to the game than everything else combined

#18 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostMJP22, on 29 November 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

View Postkellygreen, on 29 November 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

They make the rules for competitive play...whether that be against yourself on a Sunday afternoon, in a friendly head to head match against your brother or as far as the PGA tour. If you choose to alter the rules or don't follow at all they don't kick you off the course or try to harm your enjoyment. I can't tell you the last time every single person in the foursome I played in didn't break a minor rule such as marking your ball on the green as you line it up for your putt to not taking distance on an ob shot. Outside of competitive golf you can do as you please.

Okay, that's a definition of "competitlve" that isn't exclusionary, and that I can get behind.

The problem, however, is that the USGA and R&A refuse to acknowledge the reality that the recreational game, and the professional/elite amatuer games are not the same game.   Hence you get rules changes that lead to the frustration of the OP.

What you consider rule breaking by these casual players, is what I call rule STREAMLINING.  Streamlinging what is an overly-complex, overly-arcane set of rules to a set of rules that capture the essence of the game, but speed play and foster enjoyment.

Seriously,  do you REALLY want to be the foursome playing behind a group of high-handicappers...all of whom are taking stroke-and-distance penalties and playing provisionals for every potential lost ball or OB shot?    You'd be looking a six hour round in some parts of the country.

But these are the kind of changes that a USGA that had its priorities straight could address to grow the game, and speed play....all while caring for the high levels of the game.

It is their refusal to bifurcate the rules like every other modern sport has done, that is the source of all of these problems.
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

#19 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 868

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

Not much thought went into this "article".

#20 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2273

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 29 November 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

Speak, oh Keeper of the Sacred Flame....

For the Love of God, you can't be serious....

So you are basically saying is that: "Anyone who doesn't play competitively isn't really playing golf, isn't really 'supporting the game', and so their needs and energies aren't to be considered or respected when discussing the rules."...in a game that REFUSES to do what every other sensible sport does and present a specialized set of rules for professional play, versus lower levels of play."

Baseball doesn't have to worry about "dumbing itself down" at the highest levels of play to meet the needs of recreational, youth, and prep players...because it made it clear ages ago, that if you want to play in the big leagues...bring a wooden bat.  Golf refuses to make this COMMON SENSE accomodation to reality, because its governing bodies stubbornly cling to a vision of the game that hasn't been true sense the days of Bobby Jones.

Apparently you missed the part in the other thread where I mentioned the fundamental disrespect and condescending tone you present to those who do not share your viewpoint???  This is a PERFECT example of what I was talking about.

Reality check here.

All those "casual" players you show such disrespect for...their LOVE of the game makes the world you value POSSIBLE.  Without their love, it would still be a game for idle rich amateurs, and "professional" hustlers.

But baseball and football and tennis and basketball and hockey et al make no attempt at leveling the playing field among all competitors. Golf offers the handicap system for that very purpose. No amateur can attempt to qualify to play in the world series or superbowl. The separation in golf is not simply between Pro and amateur, there are high level amateurs who oft try to compete against professionals in all kinds of events, the handicap system makes this possible and it's why bifurcating the rules equitably is nearly impossible without creating layers of amateur status that would only serve to make the system even more convoluted. That is a worse idea than doing nothing about shaky hand anchorers.

And yeah, agree with Hawkeyes assessment of the OP completely.

RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 444

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

The game has been around for 600 years and to keep a resemblance to the original premise is  of
importance.  The keepers of the rules have made any number of changes that have made the game more fair
to everyone.  There are limits that must be observed.  

In the past 50 years the game has been changed greatly by agronomy, faster fairways, shorter rough, balls,shafts and clubs that have affected distance and flight.  Putters are much more forgiving, and anchored
putters allow for a smoother stroke, especially under stressful situations.  I believe that this takes
some measure of athletic ability out of the game.

The game is difficult but these governing bodies have made it more playable while trying to preserve
tradition and ensuring that there is a measurement for past and future generation to compare.  

The anchored putter has not been banned as yet, but 90% it will be.  Quit whining and play.

#22 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1384

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

None of that stuff makes the game any more difficult. Otherwise, scores would go up when they make each of those rulings. Yet the scores never go up. The ruling bodies just like screwing with us, it's what you get when you give somebody the authority to "make rules" they look around for "rules" to "make".

If they wanted to make the game more difficult they'd say drivers have to be made of wood, shafts of hickory and balls must have rubber band windings. Now that would make the game difficult. Telling you to quit jamming your putter against your belly has about as much effect on the difficulty of the game as saying you can't plumb bob.

#23 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2273

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

View PostFourmyle of Ceres, on 29 November 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

None of that stuff makes the game any more difficult. Otherwise, scores would go up when they make each of those rulings. Yet the scores never go up. The ruling bodies just like screwing with us, it's what you get when you give somebody the authority to "make rules" they look around for "rules" to "make".

If they wanted to make the game more difficult they'd say drivers have to be made of wood, shafts of hickory and balls must have rubber band windings. Now that would make the game difficult. Telling you to quit jamming your putter against your belly has about as much effect on the difficulty of the game as saying you can't plumb bob.

AND DAMN THEM IF THEY TAKE AWAY MY PLUMB BOB!
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#24 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I think the anchor putter should be banned - It's cheating IMO holding it against the body.

The Groove rule on the other hand pisses me off.  There is a huge difference in spin and Im used to throwing it to the pin not having to bump and run.

#25 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123050
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

View Postdriverwedge3putt, on 29 November 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

I think the anchor putter should be banned - It's cheating IMO holding it against the body.

The Groove rule on the other hand pisses me off.  There is a huge difference in spin and Im used to throwing it to the pin not having to bump and run.

Agree with your first statement, but wouldn't go as far as "cheating", at least until after Jan 1, 2016.
With respect to your second statement - given your posting moniker, why does it really matter????  :)

Edited by rogolf, 29 November 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#26 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

View Postrogolf, on 29 November 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

View Postdriverwedge3putt, on 29 November 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

Agree with your first statement, but wouldn't go as far a "cheating", at least until after Jan 1, 2016.
With respect to your second statement - given your posting moniker, why does it really matter????  :)

haha no way since I got the spider s im tiger (old tiger) on the greens!

#27 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3075

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

The problem isn't whether or not the game is too hard, it is that people have stopped enjoying a challenge. No one knows how to smile at their own failure anymore.
PING Anser 8.5/Ahina 70x
Mizuno Mp 650 15/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 650 19, 22/Aldila Vs Proto 95x
Mizuno Mp 53 4-pw/PX 6.5 Satin Prototype
Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
WITB Link

#28 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

I like it. Keep the little people out.

#29 geoffaw

geoffaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29674
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Do any other major sports other than baseball really have 2 different sets of rules for the pro and amatuer regarding equipment?

#30 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,800 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 733

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

You can make a case for any of those if you wish, but saying that the rule about COR is bad is just silly.  First there was a rule for years in the rule book saying spring like faces on clubs was against the rules, problem was they had no way to measure it.  When titanium hit the market they had to figure out a way, in my mind too little too late, a face should not spring .....that was cheating for years.  What really bothers me is that the longer hitters get exponentially longer, shorter hitters really don't pick up that much, longer hitters have picked up major distance the last 10 years or so.  Shorter hitters just a few yards.

Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors