Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Tim Clark and proposed putter ruling

211 replies to this topic

#1 tgin

tgin

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86411
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

I believe Tim has stated that if the anchored putter ruling went into affect he would not be able to compete due to his wrists are unable to handle putting conventionally. I looked at a couple of videos on youtube with his golf swing and I'm wondering why. With his swing, he takes the club back with his shoulders and is able to **** his wrists. So I'm confused why he just would not be able to putt with a conventional grip. For some reason the story or reason just doesn't make sense. Any thoughts or insider info?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 iBanesto

iBanesto

Niclas Fasth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Source?

#3 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 784

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

He's got some rare condition that prevents him from being able to rotate his forearms, I believe he can't make his palms face the sky.  I'm not sure exactly how that factors into his putting, but I doubt he's faking.

Edited by highergr0und, 28 November 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#4 tgin

tgin

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86411
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

View Posthighergr0und, on 28 November 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

He's got some rare condition that prevents him from being able to rotate his forearms, I believe he can't make his palms face the sky.  I'm not sure exactly how that factors into his putting, but I doubt he's faking.
That was the same thing I read but I believe most golfers who putt conventionally do not rotate their forearms. When I saw videos of his golf swing, I was confused with the inability to putt.

#5 monkeynaut

monkeynaut

I'm Gonna Live Forever! But first I need to stop this bl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,926 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124830
GolfWRX Likes : 1656

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

I understand his condition BUT I don't understand how he can hold a club and not a putter?
Why can he swing a driver around his body at 105 mph and not be able to move a putter a few inches left to right?
OR, he can still use his long putter. He just can't press it against his body.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

#6 rafal

rafal

PM2TM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
GolfWRX Likes : 990

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

I guess that's the end of Clark's quest for #1 world rank.
TM SLDR S 12*
TM RBZ2 TP 3HL
Ping G25 4-LW
TM DLL 35"

#7 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

View Postrafal, on 28 November 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

I guess that's the end of Clark's quest for #1 world rank.

Almost made it.

#8 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 784

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

I haven't really looked at his swing too much, but it might have more to do with fatigue than anything else.....  and in playing around, if I've got a strong left hand and neutral or weak right hand, my forearms are both turned down.  If I take a conventional putter grip, they both rotate open to some degree

#9 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123677
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

Excuses excuses.

#10 Guia

Guia

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 540

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Sounds like a lame excuse to me.  If he can swing a club that can compete on the tour then he can hold a
putter.  I've seen good putters who have only one arm putt outstandingly.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 iBanesto

iBanesto

Niclas Fasth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

Wait a minute, we don't have any reliable source that Clark has said this.

BTW I believe Tim said Luke Donald is the real world No. 1 :busted_cop:

#12 golfcarte

golfcarte

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102511
GolfWRX Likes : 459

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

it was making a mammoth putt at the memorial (jack's tournament) that did clark in. obvious cheat. :busted_cop:

#13 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,879 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2479

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

Okay fellas, I know you all love to jump your high horses and your gilded pedestals and rip golfers as being excuse filled whiners, but this has been know for YEARS.  

He didn't all of the sudden "develop" this condition when the proposed change came about.  He's had it his whole career, and if you nincompoops are just now finding it out, then it's your own damned fault.

most of you don't even know what the condition is but your going to chastise a guy for it anyways, and for something he was born with...due to your pure ignorance.

Have a nice day!!!

Edited by Vindog, 29 November 2012 - 08:57 AM.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#14 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,751 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:3.4
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

This is from 2005 discussing his major wrist surgery in 2001 and follow up surgery in 2004.  I do not know the current status or why the genetic condition makes putting conventionally difficult for him.

http://www.theacc.co.../040705aac.html
TM SLDR S 10*, Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65S
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* Aldila Tour Green S
Adams Pro Mini 18* Aldila Tour Green S
TM SLDR irons, 4-AW, DG XP S300 +1"
TM TP ATV 56* & 60* DG XP S300 +1"
Bettinardi BB5, 35.5"

#15 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,879 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Another side note...

The condition that makes it difficult for him to grip a putter is the same condition that prevents his wrists/arms from rotating out of plane.  So it's a curse and a blessing.

Edited by Vindog, 29 November 2012 - 09:04 AM.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#16 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 729

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostSheriffBooth, on 29 November 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

This is from 2005 discussing his major wrist surgery in 2001 and follow up surgery in 2004.  I do not know the current status or why the genetic condition makes putting conventionally difficult for him.

http://www.theacc.co.../040705aac.html
The putting grip that he would have been taught back then was the reverse overlap.  That grip requires you to rotate your left hand to the left so that the palm is more up.  That is what would have been difficult for him.  There are other grips taught now and he can choose if he wishes, but it will be learning to putt all over again and learning something new at that level can be fatal.
RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

#17 ragweed10

ragweed10

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28754
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Why cant he grip it like the other 13 clubs in his bag, if he can make contact with the ball then he can putt this way. Figure out if it makes you push or pull each putt and then lineup accordingly. I know several good putters back home that do not have good strokes, but the know they cut their putts and they lineup for it and make putts. I just do not understand how he can not putt this way, is he going to miss the ball or something? Not trying to be insensitive to his condition, I just do not understand it.

#18 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184910
  • Handicap:5.1
GolfWRX Likes : 548

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Doesn't matter what his condition is. His stroke couldn't be as bad as Billy Mayfair's.
TaylorMade SLDR 9.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Nickent 4DX 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58

#19 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,879 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

View Postragweed10, on 29 November 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

Why cant he grip it like the other 13 clubs in his bag, if he can make contact with the ball then he can putt this way. Figure out if it makes you push or pull each putt and then lineup accordingly. I know several good putters back home that do not have good strokes, but the know they cut their putts and they lineup for it and make putts. I just do not understand how he can not putt this way, is he going to miss the ball or something? Not trying to be insensitive to his condition, I just do not understand it.

I think he'll figure it out.  Maybe he can get a certain putter grip passed through the list, or something.

It's the left hand that will be the problem for him.
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#20 Socrates

Socrates

• 4,687 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Do you grip your putter with the same grip as the rest of your clubs?  Didn't think so.  Very few good putters will do that.  Tiger was one of the few that used it and was good (not so good any more).

There is a difference between putting at your level (just hitting the ball) and being a Tour Level putter.  One goes home and has the weekends off and the other make a living at it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 458

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

But if it were Casey Martin...

#22 piston088

piston088

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43125
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostSocrates, on 29 November 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

Do you grip your putter with the same grip as the rest of your clubs?  Didn't think so.  Very few good putters will do that.  Tiger was one of the few that used it and was good (not so good any more).

There is a difference between putting at your level (just hitting the ball) and being a Tour Level putter.  One goes home and has the weekends off and the other make a living at it.

Tiger woods has never used an interlock-style grip to roll putts.

#23 bNeill

bNeill

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49638
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postpiston088, on 29 November 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

For a brief period in 2011 if I recall.

#24 ragweed10

ragweed10

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28754
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

I dont really get your point here, but if he cant grip a standard putter without some discomfort all Im saying is grip it the way you grip the other 13 clubs in your bag because he doesnt seem to have a problem with that grip. I dont see that he has some sort of need for a medical exemption for him.

#25 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

View Posttgin, on 28 November 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

View Posthighergr0und, on 28 November 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

That was the same thing I read but I believe most golfers who putt conventionally do not rotate their forearms. When I saw videos of his golf swing, I was confused with the inability to putt.

His saying he can't putt the way he would want to, if he had no physical issue......not that that can't figure out some way to place both of his hands on a putter grip and roll the ball

#26 Socrates

Socrates

• 4,687 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

View Postragweed10, on 29 November 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

I dont really get your point here, but if he cant grip a standard putter without some discomfort all Im saying is grip it the way you grip the other 13 clubs in your bag because he doesnt seem to have a problem with that grip. I dont see that he has some sort of need for a medical exemption for him.
Okay genius, go try it and then get back to me on how that wedge grip works when you try and sole a 72º putter.  Doesn't work so well does it.  Never said he would need a medical exemption.  I said he would have a real problem finding something that works that will allow him to compete at a Tour level.

#27 Socrates

Socrates

• 4,687 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostbNeill, on 29 November 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

View Postpiston088, on 29 November 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

For a brief period in 2011 if I recall.
There is much more ability in Tiger's putting grip to hinge the hands than in most players incorporating the reverse overlap (left hand is more on top than most).

#28 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

LOFT UP+ 17/1700

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12966
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Sorry Tim, but no need to switch to the "conventional" method of putting.
You only need to stay with the same long putter method you are using....just move that upper hand off your chest....Presto! Done.

Same for you too Adam S.  Keep that left arm and hand off your body...no anchoring and problem solved.  You can still make a very good putter stroke with that by keeping your left arm bent and stable during the stroke.

For you belly putters, well I must say that the elbows against the body (perfectly legal) will overcome any need to have the end of that putter stuck in your gut.  Just grip higher on the putter (might need to make it shorter and head lighter) and then tuck those elbows against your sides.  Make the stroke the same as before by slightly turning back and forth.....Problem solved!

Oh Hum.   :)

Edited by BirdieBob, 29 November 2012 - 05:04 PM.

TM JDM TP 10*430 SLDR, AD-DI 6x Black LE
TM Stage 2 13 TS, 16.5*, AD-DI 7x
TM `14 TP MB 9,P, Recoil Proto 110 X
Vokey TVD 50, 54, 58 Custom Birdie Bob

#29 Socrates

Socrates

• 4,687 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostBirdieBob, on 29 November 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

You only need to stay with the same long putter method you are using....just move that upper hand off your chest....Presto! Done.

Same for you too Adam S.  Keep that left arm and hand off your body...no anchoring and problem solved.  You can still make a very good putter stroke with that by keeping your left arm bent and stable during the stroke.

For you belly putters, well I must say that the elbows against the body (perfectly legal) will overcome any need to have the end of that putter stuck in your gut.  Just grip higher on the putter (might need to make it shorter and head lighter) and then tuck those elbows against your sides.  Make the stroke the same as before by slightly turning back and forth.....Problem solved!

Cough..Bull Sh.. cough, cough!!

Just not viable.  Go and try it then get back to us.

#30 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

LOFT UP+ 17/1700

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12966
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

View PostSocrates, on 29 November 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

View PostBirdieBob, on 29 November 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

Cough..Bull Sh.. cough, cough!!

Just not viable.  Go and try it then get back to us.

Already have used it many times for the belly replacement stroke.........does wonders!

Remember... You must try before you reply!

Edited by BirdieBob, 29 November 2012 - 05:08 PM.

TM JDM TP 10*430 SLDR, AD-DI 6x Black LE
TM Stage 2 13 TS, 16.5*, AD-DI 7x
TM `14 TP MB 9,P, Recoil Proto 110 X
Vokey TVD 50, 54, 58 Custom Birdie Bob

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors