Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

High launching irons for a sweeper

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dchoi87

dchoi87

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80314
  • Ebay ID:golfer1438
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

I've been asked for suggestions on a new set of irons for a friend and I was hoping to get some help from those who have experience with SGIs.

He's about a 12 handicap but only hits a few greens per round.  His short game is incredible.  He hits his 6 iron about 160-165 yards and his miss is a hook.  The set he is replacing is the Callaway X-20 with regular flex graphite.  He is a sweeper who doesn't take much of a divot so his new set shouldn't have a lot of bounce.  He needs to hit the ball higher and distance is important to him.

Suggestions on which models to try?  Help me look like I know what I'm talking about.  Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Nike Pro Cavity, the cavity back cast, not the forged CBs.

Awesome clubs, forgiving, high launch and sole isn't really thick, dirt cheap right now too.

#3 Llefty

Llefty

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 213293
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Adams CB3
Cobra S3
Ping I20
Rocketballz Max
These are mostly strong lofted, forgiving irons. Reg or Soft Reg graphite shafts should help him hit the ball higher too. Good luck.

#4 superman912

superman912

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108885
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Does he NEED a new set, or is he changing for the sake of changing? Based on his distance, he looks well fit to me... He also wants a high launch club because he's a sweeper, so the X-20s are exactly that.

He could MAYBE go up to a stiff flex, but he's already playing a SGI, why is he going from SGI to SGI?

#5 chiva

chiva

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176280
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

Ping eye 2

Yea, I play blades cause
I like to work the ball

#6 hardboiled

hardboiled

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127460

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

i20's or even the G20's

#7 dchoi87

dchoi87

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80314
  • Ebay ID:golfer1438

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

He needs a new set because he decided to leave his old one at his vacation home.  He will strictly be looking at new models.  He's not a club junkie at all and will be playing this set for a minimum 5 years.

Pings look like a lot of bounce for him.  The JPX HD look like they might fit the bill.  I didn't consider X-20s to be SGI actually.  He played 3-pw in the X-20s.  I will recommend that he play hybrids in the 3 and 4, maybe even the 5.  In any case, he will go hit a bunch and see what he likes.  Just thought I'd get a few recommendations since there are so many different models out there.

#8 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 1117

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Callawaygolfpreowned.com and get a nearly new identical set to the one he is leaving at the vacation home :)
Or get some nearly new x-22s in the same spec.
I can understand folks like new stuff, but Callaway's items are typically in really good shape. Got an FT-iZ Tour driver recently that was listed as nearly new, but I couldn't tell what knocked it down to nearly level.

Edited by duffer987, 28 November 2012 - 04:23 PM.

Done buying golf clubs. Hurrah!
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913H 20*
Cally XHP 4-5 | X-Forged '13 6-PW
Cally Forged 50* 54* | Odyssey #9
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#9 RobGW

RobGW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153325
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

He sounds a lot like me, though I'm a 5. I'm a little longer, but my miss is also a hook. I tried quite a few, but on the advice of a great fitter (Dana Upshaw) I now play Mizuno JPX800s. I haven't looked close at the JPX825s, but I would think they're in the same ballpark.

#10 Goose54

Goose54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98031
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

TM R9's are a very high-launching iron. They have a fairly thin topline also, if that interests you.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Norboo

Norboo

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34535
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Your friend and I seem to have similar game.  I switched to JPX 800 HD and made all the difference for me.  Lofts are pretty jacked up so it is club longer and lunched pretty high.  I am a low ball hitter but from coming down one ball to take a divot.  I corrected that when I purchased my JPX 800 HD.   Very forgiving and super easy to elevate, club wants to go straight at whatever you aim at.

Today, I placed an order for JPX 825.  It plays little lower, tad more forgiving but with much better look to the irons.   Can't say enough good things about the JPX line.

I have a smooth transition in my swing and I play reg flex in my shafts.   Avg about 92-95 with my driver.  In my irons, I bought the stock Dynalite Golf XP R300 and I am blasting these iorns all over the place I haven’t been before.  I hit my 7 iron about 155 to 160.
Dynalite Golf XP R300 has high launch and about 100+ grams.

Below is what Mizuno wrote me:

Thank you for contacting Mizuno USA.  Both of these irons will be able to provide you with a nice, high trajectory.  If all of the specs are the same, the JPX 800 HD iron should launch the ball slightly higher than the JPX 825.  This is due to the wider sole that creates a lower center of gravity.  The JPX 825 will be a touch more forgiving with the additional mass added to the heel and toe.  This adds extra head stability through impact on heel/toe mis-hits.  
In most tests that our R & D performed, the JPX 825 was typically the longer of the two.  The JPX 800 HD provided more carry distance for lower club head speeds due to the extra weight on the sole.  Which club is longer will really depend upon the player using them, but as we stated earlier, the 825 tested longer in most tests.  If you have any additional questions, please feel free to let us know.

Edited by Norboo, 28 November 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#12 Woodridge

Woodridge

Hodet ned , ikke titte

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143453
GolfWRX Likes : 215

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Here's my two cents...

I too am a sweeper and have a similar game to your friend. I hit the ball fairly low and my stock shot is a draw with all my clubs. I tried the G-15's last year and loved how high they launched, but on tight lies they caused me some problems. I went from there to the I-20's which are currently in my bag. They launch a tad lower than the G's, but are better from tight fairway lies. I love them because when I miss, I miss them straight...my miss is thin and I usually leave myself a short chip or pitch. But, something tells me there is a better set out there for a sweeper/picker than these. The only reason I haven't looked around is that I'm very comfortable with them, and have gotten them dialed in for distance. Whichever route you friend goes, make sure he hits them outdoors on grass...preferably on tighter lies. My mistake with the G-15's and to some extent with the I-20's was testing them indoors only....
Tad Moore Pall Mall Spoon (on order)
Tad Moore Victor Niblick (on order)
Gene Reilly mallet putter

#13 bmfgolf

bmfgolf

Kapalua #11 in Better Times

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 155603

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Try some of the Callaway Razr X Blacks, not a ton of bounce, and very high launching.  Currently, I use the Blacks and love them.

#14 Drgonzo1976

Drgonzo1976

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124470
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

I am a high handicapper with a similar game: same distance, same miss, take little to no divot, hit few GIR. I however have a horrible short game but am a very good putter (avg 28, good FOR ME). I have to play graphite due to very bad elbow tendonitis. I really like my VRS Forged with Steelfiber i80s. Forgiving, high launch, long, relatively easy on the eyes. That said, I just ordered JPX 825s with Program 130s. I did so at the recommendation of my teacher who says I need a heavier shaft to keep me from getiing "too handsy" as he puts it. It was not much more expensive the reshafting with a heavy graphite and now I'll have two sets. The JPX 825s are more forgiving, launch a little higher, and are equally long for me. The bounce is very low and they work great for my sweeping swing. They do not feel nearly as good though. I would look hard at both of these irons. Also consider the Big Bertha Fusions from Callaway Preowned if he wants to save some money. They are awesome and can still be purchased like new. I wish him luck in his search.

#15 iH83Putting

iH83Putting

Whiskey Tango Fox!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94591
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Titleist AP1 but have them bent 1 or 2 * strong to kill the bounce.  JPX 825 is a good suggestion as well.

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*, VTS Silver 7x
FW: TaylorMade R11 15*, Tour AD QT
Driving Iron: TayorMade RBZ 3i
Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-Pw
Wedge: Vokey Forged 52*&56*,SM4 60
Putter: Odyssey WHP #9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors