Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

PGA of America against banning anchoring.

Interesting!

465 replies to this topic

#1 jwfgolfpro

jwfgolfpro

jwfgolfpro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13051
  • Ebay ID:jwfgolfpro
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Dear John,

As many of you are aware, earlier today the USGA and the R&A released their statement and position on a proposed change to the Rules of Golf that would, if formally adopted, result in a ban related to anchoring a putter or, for that matter, any golf club. This revision to the Rules would go into effect as of January 1, 2016. The statement also indicated that there is a comment period that will extend through February 28, 2013.

Click here to read a letter dated November 27, 2012, that I sent, as the President of The PGA of America, to USGA President Glen Nager and Executive Director Mike Davis in advance of their official statement. In addition, click here to view the USGA's official statement that was released today.

As you will see upon review of my letter, we respectfully recognized the crucial and historical role the USGA plays in writing and interpreting the Rules of Golf. However, we also set forth our position on this issue as we believe it may have a negative impact on the growth of the game and, as importantly, the ability of people to enjoy the game.

You will also see where we referenced the poll conducted last week of you, our PGA members, highlighting the extremely high participation rate (roughly 16% or 4,228 of our membership) which illustrates the importance of this issue. Nearly two thirds of the respondents indicated that they do not favor a ban.

As your elected leadership, we are well aware of our role in representing your interests in the industry and our mission to take and pursue the necessary steps and actions needed to grow the game that we all serve. At this stage, based on the discussions we have had with the USGA, as well as a series of presentations that they have made to us, there does not appear to be any data that suggests that anchoring a golf club results in an unfair advantage. As I stated in my letter to the USGA, in the absence of such data and based on our polling and all of the exciting progress our industry has made through Golf 2.0 and other related initiatives to make the game more fun and, quite frankly, more enjoyable and welcoming to a broader and more diverse audience, we have respectfully requested that the USGA and the R&A consider our concerns during this key comment period.

We want you to be aware of the USGA's position and our written statement to them. We intend to monitor this situation very closely and will continue to have in depth discussions with the USGA and other key entities, including the PGA Tour.

Lastly, we welcome any comments or concerns you may have. We, the 27,000 PGA men and women around the United States, are on the front lines of the game and, therefore, we believe it is imperative that our collective voice be heard in regard to this crucial issue.

Very truly yours,

Posted Image
Ted Bishop, PGA
38th President
The PGA of America

The PGA of America
100 Avenue of the Champions
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418

JWFGOLFPRO

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Mike Davis was very defensive with his answers today in my opinion and at one time could be heard tapping on his desk to drive home a point. That isn't good form by someone in his position. This decision is decades too late. It's obvious "grandfathering" is a term they don't understand. They should have made a ruling on this a long, long, long time ago.

#3 richard t

richard t

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85373
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I believe in fairness, I believe in and know the rules. I DO NOT like or use a belly/long putter. Now, +1000 on the above. Any reasonable person knows the time to take action is before the 'ole horse is out of the barn.' USGA seems happy to be 'a day late and a dollar short' on most decisions. I play with some guys who use the belly and the long putters. They don't win any more money than the rest of us. As for the pros, just because these putters won three majors this past summer does not mean they are going to dominate/rule the game. I'll bet on Ben Crenshaw any day of the week vs any Belly/long pro! There have been belly/long putters around for a long while and they've won how much? The USGA went ballistic over the Eye2s. How much did they (Eye2s) dominate?  Recently, Square Grooves? When I'm watching the pros still seem to be able to 'back it up' and 'stop it on a dime.'  Never thought I'd say this, but maybe it's time to have different rules for different levels. If not mistaken almost every other sport does. ( High School, College, Pros) Does not seem to change the enjoyment folks get from the rules at their level. To those who disagree. I say win me over with some cold, hard evidence these putters are unfair and will ruin the game.

#4 bullie76

bullie76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121903
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

View Postrichard t, on 28 November 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

I believe in fairness, I believe in and know the rules. I DO NOT like or use a belly/long putter. Now, +1000 on the above. Any reasonable person knows the time to take action is before the 'ole horse is out of the barn.' USGA seems happy to be 'a day late and a dollar short' on most decisions. I play with some guys who use the belly and the long putters. They don't win any more money than the rest of us. As for the pros, just because these putters won three majors this past summer does not mean they are going to dominate/rule the game. I'll bet on Ben Crenshaw any day of the week vs any Belly/long pro! There have been belly/long putters around for a long while and they've won how much? The USGA went ballistic over the Eye2s. How much did they (Eye2s) dominate?  Recently, Square Grooves? When I'm watching the pros still seem to be able to 'back it up' and 'stop it on a dime.'  Never thought I'd say this, but maybe it's time to have different rules for different levels. If not mistaken almost every other sport does. ( High School, College, Pros) Does not seem to change the enjoyment folks get from the rules at their level. To those who disagree. I say win me over with some cold, hard evidence these putters are unfair and will ruin the game.

Agree. Make golf fun for the average golfer. Crazy to be rolling it back for weekend golfers at this point.
Taylormade R1 BLACK Driver
RBZ Tour 13* 3 wood - my 2 wood
Adams F10 15* and 18* FW woods
Adams A12 Idea 21* Hybrid
Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons 5-gw
Clev 588 56* s/w & Classic #2 putter

#5 tnord

tnord

Good job on the anchor, now dial back the ball!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129799
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

ban that junk!

the common response i've heard from keegan, webb, etc, is to "look at the stats" and you won't see that long putters are dominating the tour or really make someone a good putter.  so then the reverse must be true as well, if they don't help you then it won't hurt you to go back to a conventional putter either.  suck it up.

Nike Covert Tour 1.0 Fubuki Alpha 60x
Nike VR Pro Ltd Ed 15 VTS Black SPX 7x
Ping S56/S300 or VR Pro Blades/X100
TourS 52&58 or VR 52&58
Ping Redwood ZB

#6 richard t

richard t

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85373
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Bullie76- An EXCELLENT point! If Adam Scott needs a new, shorter Cameron ole Scotty will fix him right up. What about Johnny Parsaver who spent $300.00 + for his? Is the USGA going to replace all bell/long putters for folks who bought them ( and not just in the last year). We know the answer to that!

#7 Ezgolfer

Ezgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19575
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Disappointed by the PGA....

#8 cb24

cb24

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142533
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

View Posttnord, on 28 November 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

ban that junk!

the common response i've heard from keegan, webb, etc, is to "look at the stats" and you won't see that long putters are dominating the tour or really make someone a good putter.  so then the reverse must be true as well, if they don't help you then it won't hurt you to go back to a conventional putter either.  suck it up.

thats my thinking as well.  If it doesnt help you then it wont hurt you to not use it.  Pretty simple if it were true, but clearly it helps them.

#9 sunbeltgolfer

sunbeltgolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 160353
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

The comment period will be interesting to watch and see if any changes to the proposed rule are made. I play on a senior mini tour, use a traditional putter, and, don't have a problem with people, especially recreational golfers, being able to use putters with an anchored stroke. Others will disagree, but, I think the PGA has made a good point when it relates to the recreational player.

#10 oldflgolfer

oldflgolfer

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212485
  • Handicap:TBD
  • Ebay ID:bikerzeke11
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Applaud the PGA membership

I used PING wedges for twenty years....then suddenly they they are illegal

I started using a long putter in 2006 to help combat psoriatic arthritis.....now, yet again the USGA has decided that I'm doing sonething illegal for 7yrs

I'm 43 yrs old & was pretty excited to start playing in mid-senior events but I dunno about even playing golf yet alone paying dues to the USGA

Not a smart decision whatsoever

Just a bunch of PINGS
New &  Old mixed together
With a broomstick making putts

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 bajadock

bajadock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123912
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

The USGA and R&A can pat themselves on the back for the "traditions" of the game.  If there is no set-aside for amateurs on anchored putting, more golf play will be discouraged.

Play by the same rules?  94.3% of golfers don't play by the rules, from my 30 year scientific statistical study.  And what are the 3-6 different tee markers for if we "all play the same game"???

If the USGA, R&A, PGA and other golf supporting org's wanted to grow the game, they would SIMPLIFY the rules down to 20 or less that could be printed on one side of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.

#12 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostWillie Malay, on 28 November 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

Mike Davis was very defensive with his answers today in my opinion and at one time could be heard tapping on his desk to drive home a point. That isn't good form by someone in his position. This decision is decades too late. It's obvious "grandfathering" is a term they don't understand. They should have made a ruling on this a long, long, long time ago.

Agreed, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't have still made the change. the biggest issue i have with davis is the way he acted like it wasn't a problem when a handful of players used it but now it has their attention because players are drastically turning towards this method. he's in his position because he's supposed to be smart enough to ban this from the start.

it was cheating then, looks horrible, and gives people the question of whether a win is legit because they took nerves out of a stroke. davis and the rest of the guys in charge need to be a little more forward thinking. they can start with not waiting another 10 years to start questioning the ball.
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#13 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

View Postbajadock, on 28 November 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

If the USGA, R&A, PGA and other golf supporting org's wanted to grow the game, they would SIMPLIFY the rules down to 20 or less that could be printed on one side of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.

THIS!!

i don't believe the ban will affect players leaving the game or entering. if they want to 'grow' the game, start with the rulebook and costs of the game. with the economy how do we replace anyone who's left the game when its so costly to play a round. how can kids afford to get out and play if they aren't born into a country club membership. the game isn't going to grow when economy declines and costs increase
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#14 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

cant everyone use the belly putter? its not like the putter was only made to a handful of ppl or they were grandfathered in by their use. usga dealt themselves a blow on a relatively unimportant issue. balls and drivers have changed the game 10 fold to the belly putter. courses have had to be redesigned and lengthened due to those advancements.

#15 tnord

tnord

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

View Postoldflgolfer, on 28 November 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

I started using a long putter in 2006 to help combat psoriatic arthritis.....now, yet again the USGA has decided that I'm doing sonething illegal for 7yrs

I'm 43 yrs old & was pretty excited to start playing in mid-senior events but I dunno about even playing golf yet alone paying dues to the USGA

for an old man you sure are a big baby. you're going to quit the game entirely because you can't anchor it 3 years from now? give me a break.  you can still use the long putter, just not maybe not exactly how you do now.

i'm more likely to renew my USGA membership from last year because they finally did ban that nonsense.

Edited by tnord, 28 November 2012 - 08:58 PM.

TourS 52&58 or VR 52&58
Ping Redwood ZB

#16 oldflgolfer

oldflgolfer

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212485
  • Handicap:TBD
  • Ebay ID:bikerzeke11
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

View Posttnord, on 28 November 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

View Postoldflgolfer, on 28 November 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

for an old man you sure are a big baby. you're going to quit the game entirely because you can't anchor it 3 years from now? give me a break.  you can still use the long putter, just not maybe not exactly how you do now.

i'm more likely to renew my USGA membership from last year because they finally did ban that nonsense.

That's your opinion....without name calling I have mine.

It's makes absolutely no sense to ban it now....and yes I don't need the USGA

I have worked in the golf industry for over 25 years +, put alot of hard work promoting the game, from bag boy to superintendent to golf pro, I have literally served this industry in every manner possible. I have always abided by rules, instructed youth on rules & etiquette, and held the game at it's highest honor. But of late, the USGA has made decisions that have quite literally effected MY game and I'm not too happy about it.

This industry is hurting....let's make a few more rules to shove potential players away
Just a bunch of PINGS
New &  Old mixed together
With a broomstick making putts

#17 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130302
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

View Posttnord, on 28 November 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

ban that junk!

Simply saying that the reverse must be true is an argument that doesn't hold water. Anchoring the putter is a personal preference, like the claw grip or left-hand-low.  Pointing out that the stats don't show the long putter dominating golf supports the fact that it is a preference and not an unfair advantage.  It helps some, just like other unconventional grips help some, but not all.

#18 kygolfer

kygolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15559
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Part of the reason given for the ruling was:  "Our conclusion is that the Rules of Golf should be amended to preserve the traditional character of the golf swing ...."

I can't think of anything that is less traditional to the character of the golf swing than the "claw grip."  In reality anchoring the forearm to the lower body was a part of the tradition of the game in putting before the modern putter stroke using the shoulders to control the motion.  This whole thing is a crock.  I also think it was incredibile that they turned to Tiger Woods for his input in this business.  Tiger is a competitor of those using the stroke that they were considering banning.  The whole matter was very poorly handled whether you agree or disagree with the decision.

#19 tnord

tnord

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

the golf industry is here to serve the game of golf. golf (meaning USGA, R&A, PGA, etc) does not, and should not manage the game to serve the mfgs and support the industry on the pockets of the participants.

whether or not it is an unfair advantage is irrelevant. it is not a stroke and should not be allowed.
TourS 52&58 or VR 52&58
Ping Redwood ZB

#20 Jamboy72

Jamboy72