Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

USGA Letter out today on Anchoring

Letter attached

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Yuck

Yuck

Fore!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

November 28, 2012

Dear USGA Member:
The USGA cherishes its strong relationship with our Members, and we appreciate the support you provide in helping us lead the game toward a sustainable future. Your membership bolsters the critical mission of the USGA in many important ways and has helped to make the game more enjoyable for golfers of all ages and skill levels.
Recognizing the role that you play in all that we do to protect and nurture the game, we want you to be among the first to know about some important news. This morning, together with The R&A, the USGA is proposing a change to the Rules of Golf for players at all levels of the game that would disallow direct or indirect anchoring of the club in making a stroke with any club from any location on the golf course.
The proposed Rule 14-1b would prohibit strokes made with the club or a hand gripping the club intentionally held directly against the player’s body, or with a forearm intentionally held against the body to establish an anchor point that indirectly anchors the club.
The proposed Rule would not alter current equipment standards and would allow the continued use of all conforming golf clubs, including belly-length and long putters, provided such clubs are used in a non-anchored manner. The Rule would target only a few types of strokes in which the club is anchored, while preserving the golfer’s ability to play a wide variety of strokes in his or her individual style.
Throughout the game’s 600-year history, the essence of the golf stroke has been to grip the club with the hands and swing it freely at the ball. This Rule change is being proposed to preserve the fundamental challenge that makes golf a unique competitive sport.
The proposed Rule change would take effect on January 1, 2016, at the start of the next four-year cycle for revisions to the Rules of Golf. This timetable provides an extended period during which golfers currently using an anchored stroke may adapt their method of stroke, if necessary, to conform to the requirements of the new Rule.
We are proposing to take action now in response to the recent upsurge in the use of anchored strokes at all levels of the game. We believe that the proposed Rule is necessary to protect the essential nature of the golf swing and to fulfill our fundamental responsibility to the game.
The proposed Rule is the culmination of a review process that began in early 2012, and it reflects the strong consensus of our leadership and the Rules of Golf Committee. Given the high level of public discussion and interest in this issue, we are announcing the proposed change in advance of final action by the Executive Committee, which is expected to occur in early 2013. Between now and then, we will explain our rationale for the Rule and its application, answer questions and solicit feedback on the proposal from the golf community.  
Recognizing that you may have questions, and that you may also want to share this information with fellow golfers, we have developed videos, images, graphics and other materials that are available at www.usga.org/anchoring to help you become more familiar with the specifics of the proposed Rule. We have also provided an opportunity to offer written questions or comments on the proposed change, and we encourage you and others to do so.  
Thank you for your support and passion for the game as we continue to serve all golfers around the world and work to secure the health and traditions of the game for current players and for future generations.
Sincerely,

Glen Nager
President

Mike Davis
USGA Executive Director

For the good of the game®

Posted Image
Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 ghalfaire

ghalfaire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159335
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

I just got the letter this morning.  I believe I agree with the decision although I know it is controversial.

#3 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2177

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Please continue to send us your money!!!

signed,
USGA

could have saved a lot of typing
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#4 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

Way too long in the making. Almost absurd they took this upon themselves at this point.

Edited by Willie Malay, 28 November 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#5 oldflgolfer

oldflgolfer

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212485
  • Handicap:TBD
  • Ebay ID:bikerzeke11
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Dont like it one bit

Just a bunch of PINGS
New &  Old mixed together
With a broomstick making putts

#6 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,704 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 1384

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Part of the letter above says, "The proposed Rule 14-1b would prohibit strokes made with the club or a hand gripping the club intentionally held directly against the player’s body, or with a forearm intentionally held against the body to establish an anchor point that indirectly anchors the club."

I, like almost all golfers, have my upper arms (not forearms) pressed lightly against the sides of my chest when I putt.  While I don't have the following problem (yet!) it occurs to me that if I had a bigger gut, when I'm bent over in my putting stance my gut would be touching my forearms.  As I read the above sentence, I would be in violation of having a forearm intentionally "held" against my body.  I'm not sure if this would be considered "to establish an anchor point that indirectly anchors the club" or not, but it seems to me that it is not obvious that a fat guys normal putting stroke would be legal.

Clearly a fat gut isn't much of an anchor point, but can we word this better to allow for normal strokes?

#7 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

I don't agree with allowing the grip that includes ANCHORING against the forearm. This is the biggest breach in anchoring in my opinion. What a farse this ruling is.

Edited by Willie Malay, 28 November 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#8 Newby

Newby

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93129
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Full details and video

http://www.randa.org.../Anchoring.aspx

#9 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123050
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostSawgrass, on 28 November 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

Part of the letter above says, "The proposed Rule 14-1b would prohibit strokes made with the club or a hand gripping the club intentionally held directly against the player’s body, or with a forearm intentionally held against the body to establish an anchor point that indirectly anchors the club."

I, like almost all golfers, have my upper arms (not forearms) pressed lightly against the sides of my chest when I putt.  While I don't have the following problem (yet!) it occurs to me that if I had a bigger gut, when I'm bent over in my putting stance my gut would be touching my forearms.  As I read the above sentence, I would be in violation of having a forearm intentionally "held" against my body.  I'm not sure if this would be considered "to establish an anchor point that indirectly anchors the club" or not, but it seems to me that it is not obvious that a fat guys normal putting stroke would be legal.

Clearly a fat gut isn't much of an anchor point, but can we word this better to allow for normal strokes?

Quote from the above letter - "We have also provided an opportunity to offer written questions or comments on the proposed change, and we encourage you and others to do so."

Better to send comment to them, at usga.org or randa.org

#10 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123050
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

some visual explanations

Attached Thumbnails

• anchoring.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,704 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 1384

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

View Postrogolf, on 28 November 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

some visual explanations

Yes, this more complete visual explaination (and the R&A's more complete written description on its site) covers my earlier concern -- but I have to say that the fact that the USGA's initial (long) letter didn't cover my issue is testament to the fact that this is a very complicated rule!

#12 kurob

kurob

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14915
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

I would have figured you to be in the clear given that forearms being against the gut isn't establishing said anchor point, but it's nice to have the visuals.
Titleist D2 910, A'hina
Taylor Made R9 TP, Motore
Titleist AP2 714, 3-PW, KBS
Taylor Made Tour Preferred 52, 56, 60
Taylor Made Lethal
Scotty Custom Select, Newport 1.5

#13 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54137
GolfWRX Likes : 698

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

What do you think would happen if Kucher won the first two mafors?

#14 luvthegame

luvthegame

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78001
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Well I know this is controversial and I, for one, will only use the standard putter and putter swing unanchored.  However, I don't see anything wrong with letting at least amateurs use an anchored putter.  Also, I am not sure I see the evidence that the belly putter or other anchored putter has won more majors or tournaments....so not sure I feel it is for the good of the game.  I also read Dave Pelz letter and somewhat agree with him...is there really a harm to the game.  Oh well,  it doesn't effect me so I am not too concerned but would like to hear the opposing views to help me here the"rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say (God rest his soul).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors