Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

wedge shaft flex to match irons - PX flighted

wedge shaft Project x flighted

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 siuol

siuol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139868
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

Hi All,

I know this is a topic that is covered alot in various forums but I am trying to get a clear answer as to what is best to do with my wedges - 52 and 56 degrees.

I have razr x forged with PX flighted 5.5, 4 - P and I love them, smooth, long and consistent. My problem is I have a set of wedges which I really like the head, good spin BUT they have OEM 95 gram stiff shafts.

I'm hitting the Pitching wedge with full shots 135 / 140 yards but the 52 degree is only getting just over the 100 yard mark and the 56 about 75 / 80.

My conundrum is what to do with the 52 and 56 reshafting wise. I was thinking the following options and would appreciate any input from experience, teaching club making etc.

1. Put PX flighted wedge 5.5 shafts straight in
2. Put PX flighted wedge 6.0 shafts straight in - i have read going a flex stiffer helps with dispersion, is ti true??
3. Get PX flighted 8 iron 6.5 shaft and butt trim to wedge length - from reading on the web this could be an option, good or bad?

I have had a discussion with a club builder and option 1 and 2 are no problem but they would obviously want me to come in for a fitting to get it right if i want to go messing with the 8 iron route which would be another chunck of change.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68127
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

You can go with any of those options.  It's all about your feel preference. Another option is to simply go half a flex softer. So sticking a 5.0 in.

#3 siuol

siuol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139868
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

AH another option!!

My biggest problem is that I can not go and try each of the combinations due to cost and being in Ireland shipping the shafts alone is fairly expensive. Maybe a bit more about my swing might prompt some ideas as to which is the better option - again i realise its about feel

SS is a consistent 82 / 83 mph with a 6 iron
SS is a consistent 108 / 110 pmh with driver

Razr X P wedge is 47 degrees and consistent 135 / 140 yards and ghet nice spin on full shot and really like the flight

The heads of the 52 & 56 wedge are Dynacraft CNC milled

#4 JB lefty

JB lefty

JB

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119043
  • Ebay ID:cashdupjb
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

Put the px 5.5 in and enjoy. Nothing says they have to be the same, so play what you feel most comfortable with. If you are happy with the px 5.5 in your irons the just flow them through to the wedges.
Optiforce 440 Matrix Black 7M3 X flex
X2Hot 5 wood with stock shaft (cannon)
Apex Pro 4-AW KBS Tour V X flex SS1
Callaway Jaws Wedges 56,60
One spot available any ideas?
Odyssey DF550 blade putter/ Pro v 1 ball

#5 mxtitleistgolfer

mxtitleistgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27377
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Not sure where you read about option 3, but that one is terrible. While option 2 is right in that a stiffer shaft (usually) creates tighter dispersion, it also gives a yardage loss. So for the options you've listed, option 1 would be your best bet.

I would have to agree with a previous poster about option #4 though. Going with a touch softer shaft in your wedges will give you better feel around the greens and more backspin to get the ball to stop. Since its in a wedge, the dispersion factor is really a non-issue. You probably wouldn't notice a dispersion difference between 6.5 or 5.0 with a wedge, but you'd sure notice a yardage difference.

#6 dunn

dunn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124833
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Strengthen your gap wedge 2 degrees, try different wedge, throw different shaft in

Those are your options........ You pick

I would prolly throw 5.5 in wedge
I play softer shafts in wedges for feel as they aren't for full swings usually

Lot of tour guys go softer in wedges not stiffer

Yeah, softer in wedges
If it doesn't get you distance at least you have 5.5 wedge shafts and you can deloft the wedge on top of that

If that doesn't work buy a new wedge

Edited by dunn, 03 December 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#7 Invert99

Invert99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147783
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

View Postmxtitleistgolfer, on 03 December 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

Not sure where you read about option 3, but that one is terrible. While option 2 is right in that a stiffer shaft (usually) creates tighter dispersion, it also gives a yardage loss. So for the options you've listed, option 1 would be your best bet.

I would have to agree with a previous poster about option #4 though. Going with a touch softer shaft in your wedges will give you better feel around the greens and more backspin to get the ball to stop. Since its in a wedge, the dispersion factor is really a non-issue. You probably wouldn't notice a dispersion difference between 6.5 or 5.0 with a wedge, but you'd sure notice a yardage difference.
Question about this, is this just a general idea or something you have actually tried? If it is something you have tried what didn't you like about it? I am in the same situation as the op except 6.5's and am currently looking at changing the shafts in my wedges. . .

#8 dieselG

dieselG

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40735
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

I'm in the same boat as you.  09 x forged with PX 6.0 flighted.  Love the way they feel.  I tried a lot of wedge shafts (trying to save $$) and in the end I ended up getting 3 PW flex 6.0 flighted shafts for my 52*, 56* and 60* x-forged wedges.  The 52 was also bent to 51* and is the same length as my PW.  the 56* is std loft and plays 1/4" shorter.  The 60* is bent to 61* and plays 1/4" shorter than the 56.  This gives me 5* wedge gaps.

The matches my other clubs and makes the transition easier for me.  

Before this I was playing the std DG S300 shafts in the wedges, but they weigh about 10-12 grams more and my distance gaps were off (shorter).  I have no problems with spin with the PX shafts and the clubs feel nice and soft as long as you put a good swing on them.  Even chipping feels soft, again, assuming you hit the sweet spot.

Also tagged with wedge, shaft, Project x flighted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors