Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

IPING APP LIE


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lawrencedc1

lawrencedc1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84594
  • Joined: 06/03/2009
  • Location:Cincinnati
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

So I have been playing with my app all night trying to hone in my consitency.  Question?  My tempo is very consistent at 2.  My Arc is slight but closer to the strong arc side as my putter face on average is almost always closed @ 1.4.  But my main question comes with the Lie.  I am right at 25 and ping recommends this as 5 degrees flat.  Is that even possible?  Do I really need to get a gold dot or have my scotty bent to 5 degrees flat?

Edited by lawrencedc1, 27 November 2012 - 08:18 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 golfswede

golfswede

    golfswede

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107601
  • Joined: 05/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

It's measured 90-25=65
I've noticed that my numbers are about 2 degrees flatter in iPing than in Sam's.
I suggest you to check in a mirror if your toe is high, should be pretty visuall at 25...
Start to bend it to 68 and try from there....

Ball a little more to right could help that closed blade too....

#3 knockdstiff

knockdstiff

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199218
  • Joined: 08/20/2012
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:+1.4
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

Make sure you have calibrated the app - might be something weird there.

#4 lawrencedc1

lawrencedc1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84594
  • Joined: 06/03/2009
  • Location:Cincinnati
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

I went back and calibrated it correctly and I am still consistently @ 25 degrees.  Thanks for the advice golfswede I will call ping this morning and cross check ping's standard specs on their putters.  From what I can find standard lie is 70 and loft 3.  We'll see

#5 golfswede

golfswede

    golfswede

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107601
  • Joined: 05/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

View Postlawrencedc1, on 28 November 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

I went back and calibrated it correctly and I am still consistently @ 25 degrees.  Thanks for the advice golfswede I will call ping this morning and cross check ping's standard specs on their putters.  From what I can find standard lie is 70 and loft 3.  We'll see
I think you´re right about standards, I think you can see that in the app but I´m not sure. Older Pings were a lot lighter and had more loft.
Check your eye-position with a mirror, that effects the lie a lot...


#6 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

    Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Joined: 12/24/2006
  • Location:Omaha, NE
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

I've been using the iPing app for about a week now and love the thing...especially when seeing how my putting stroke works with the various putters I own.  

I also noticed that the Lie Angle for nearly all my putters reported right around 24*.  I initially thought this meant the lie angle of my putter head was flat, but reading more about it, it's related to how upright/flat the shaft is.   So iPing is indiciating that I hold my putter shaft a bit flat which makes sense since I do tend to hold a standard putter head at an upright lie angle.

Edited by Skaffa77, 28 November 2012 - 10:11 AM.


#7 lawrencedc1

lawrencedc1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84594
  • Joined: 06/03/2009
  • Location:Cincinnati
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Nice...  So  i am striking everything on the toe per the app. so I suppose I go with the recommedation for a 25 degree lie "really a gold dot or 66 degree flat putter"  FWIW if I stand more upright and over the ball I am getting in the 20-21 range, but man that just feels akward.

#8 BallzDeep

BallzDeep

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27829
  • Joined: 04/13/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

I wouldn't put too much credence into what you're seeing.  If you've used any of the "Level" apps, you'll notice 2-3 degrees in variance with what is commercial grade equipment in an iPhone.  The Gyro and Accelerometer just aren't accurate to the degree of detail needed to measure the stroke or lie angle.

#9 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

    Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Joined: 12/24/2006
  • Location:Omaha, NE
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

View Postlawrencedc1, on 28 November 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Nice...  So  i am striking everything on the toe per the app. so I suppose I go with the recommedation for a 25 degree lie "really a gold dot or 66 degree flat putter"  FWIW if I stand more upright and over the ball I am getting in the 20-21 range, but man that just feels akward.

I obviously know that I tend to leave the toe up more on my putters so it made sense to me.   It's just how I learned to putt...now if I try to hold the putter so the putter head is flat, it feels like awkard to me as well...like I'm trying to push my hands out away from my body.

#10 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

    Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Joined: 12/24/2006
  • Location:Omaha, NE
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostBallzDeep, on 28 November 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

I wouldn't put too much credence into what you're seeing.  If you've used any of the "Level" apps, you'll notice 2-3 degrees in variance with what is commercial grade equipment in an iPhone.  The Gyro and Accelerometer just aren't accurate to the degree of detail needed to measure the stroke or lie angle.

It's information and it might not be 100% accurate, but I will say that the data I'm seeing reinforces a lot of what I already knew or was told about my putting stroke...like the fact that I tend to lean the hands/shaft away from the ball (adding more loft).


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#11 BallzDeep

BallzDeep

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27829
  • Joined: 04/13/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostSkaffa77, on 28 November 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostBallzDeep, on 28 November 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

I wouldn't put too much credence into what you're seeing.  If you've used any of the "Level" apps, you'll notice 2-3 degrees in variance with what is commercial grade equipment in an iPhone.  The Gyro and Accelerometer just aren't accurate to the degree of detail needed to measure the stroke or lie angle.

It's information and it might not be 100% accurate, but I will say that the data I'm seeing reinforces a lot of what I already knew or was told about my putting stroke...like the fact that I tend to lean the hands/shaft away from the ball (adding more loft).

Agreed, it's directional, but if you're trying to figure out things within a 2-3 degree tolerance, you'll need a better measurement device.

#12 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

    Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Joined: 12/24/2006
  • Location:Omaha, NE
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostBallzDeep, on 29 November 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

Agreed, it's directional, but if you're trying to figure out things within a 2-3 degree tolerance, you'll need a better measurement device.

100% agree.

I will say that using it over the last week...I've conciously noticed how much shaft lean I have toward my back foot (adding loft) and how much I close the face at impact.   TM measured my putting stroke during a visit out to the Kingdom and they noted that I tended to add loft at impact.  

Without spending a bunch of cash, I've been using the iPing app to help measure progress or change in my set-up to avoid leaning the shaft toward my backfoot.

If nothing else...it's fun to tinker with...I'll probably screw up my putting just like I do my swing when I start to tinker around at the range.

#13 lawrencedc1

lawrencedc1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84594
  • Joined: 06/03/2009
  • Location:Cincinnati
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Update:  Went to see the Pro.. Turns out a recommended 66 degree lie turned into 70 degree.  I was standing to far away from the ball. Amazing!! 120% more consistent per the app too.

#14 PuttingDoctor

PuttingDoctor

    The Putting Doctor

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70135
  • Joined: 12/02/2008
  • Location:Ocala, FL
  • Ebay ID:The Putting Doctor
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

View Postlawrencedc1, on 29 November 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

Update:  Went to see the Pro.. Turns out a recommended 66 degree lie turned into 70 degree.  I was standing to far away from the ball. Amazing!! 120% more consistent per the app too.

The #1 flaw I see is putter too long... ie golfer too far from the line.  This causes a toe up situation as found.  As the putter shortens, comes closer to the existing setup eye line it flattens.  

The tip above about using the mirror is perfect.  Both using the mirror and using said mirror for lie angle check.  Just happens to be 2 of the multiple uses of my training aid.  

Remember iPing is FREE!  It's hard to criticize them for an app designed to help you buy more putters.  Sure you had to pay a few bucks for the cradle but less than the cost of a SAM evaluation let alone a SAM PuttLab outright.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors