Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Slow swing speed + fast tempo...suggestions on stiffness of shaft

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 monty09

monty09

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137138
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Current Driver - Ping G20,R,10.5

I want to upgrade the shaft in my driver and thinking about going to a stiff. I played 2 rounds with a friend’s x stiff i15 and was two of my best days off the tee. While a small sample size I am playing two more rounds this weekend with his driver and if same results-  I want to upgrade.

Any suggestions on how this is possible? I have never upgraded a shaft before and swing speed is currently in the low 90s

Thank you in advance for the help

Edited by monty09, 27 November 2012 - 03:34 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Get fit. That will give you the best results.

#3 nbg352

nbg352

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 800

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Generally, with a swing speed in the low 90's you are sitting at the top end of a regular flex, bottom end of stiff.
Normally, I say hit the weakest shaft you can control. In your case, if you have a fast tempo or violent transition, you may very well do well with a shaft that is stiffer than the one you currently play. With that in mind, go get fit. A decent fitter will be able to see what swing type you are and be able to guide you into the best shaft and head combination for you.
Maltby KE4 9* Axe T6 R, tipped 1"
Maltby KE4 14* fairway
Callaway Tour 18* hyb. S. TM 25* hyb
Callaway RazrX 4 - A 4* flat Graph S
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* Callaway X series Jaws 4* flat

#4 Titleistpro123

Titleistpro123

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190474
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Hi, my only advice is to not go by the charts.  If you like his club with that shaft, get it.

#5 neilc

neilc

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13139
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

View Postnbg352, on 27 November 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Generally, with a swing speed in the low 90's you are sitting at the top end of a regular flex, bottom end of stiff.
Normally, I say hit the weakest shaft you can control. In your case, if you have a fast tempo or violent transition, you may very well do well with a shaft that is stiffer than the one you currently play. With that in mind, go get fit. A decent fitter will be able to see what swing type you are and be able to guide you into the best shaft and head combination for you.

If you find one you like,never give it up.

Be it L flex or x,if you love the club

BTW  low 90s is not considered .low speed (except on this forum)!

#6 Titleistpro123

Titleistpro123

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190474
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

View Postneilc, on 28 November 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

View Postnbg352, on 27 November 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

If you find one you like,never give it up.

Be it L flex or x,if you love the club

BTW  low 90s is not considered .low speed (except on this forum)!
+2

#7 rocker40

rocker40

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97266
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

When i was in the low 90's i tried stiff and couldnt get used to it.  But then i found some stiff shafts with a higher torque rating.  3.5+ and they have
felt great.  Its all in the feel.  Im now swing at around 95-100 and usually play a stiff with a torque around 3.5.  Hope that helps.

#8 NPVWhiz

NPVWhiz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11443
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Don't be too wedded to conventional thinking on flex.  If you run across a club that performs great, by all means, give it a shot.  Better yet, buy the club from your friend.  I didn't really progress in golf until I found some fairly unusual combinations of specs, and don't get me started on driver shafts.  The one that I've had the best success with for the last 5 years was an unbelievable stroke of luck.  I had a trunk-load of equipment stolen, and had bought some inexpensive shafts off of Ebay from a company whose stuff I had liked years prior to put into some heads I had in the basement to trade in.  Long story short, I had a mid-70s gram X flex in a Nike Ignite that was NEVER going to be in my bag, and on the way home from work decided to stop and play nine just for the heck of it.  The rest is history...a FW hit percentage of better than 60% over more than 40 rounds with the shaft.

I love to try new stuff, but over the years I've been incredibly fortunate to dial in almost a full set.  I'm still short on the 3 wood, but the rest is good.  I never would have found what works best for me by listening to other players or fitters.  If you luck into something that really feels like a revelation, give it a try.  Then, if it works for you, build on it with the rest of the set.  My swing speed with the drive back in the late 80s, when I was playing R flex, was in the low 90s.  Now, 20 odd years later, using a moderate X in the driver and 6.2 or so in the irons, my driver ss is 100 to 103 mid summer.  I never would have gotten to that with r flex...it just wouldn't have felt right.  Other X flex driver shafts have felt/played awful for me...very good quality shafts.  Some have been in the right stiffness range, comparable to what I have in the bag, but just don't bend the same or perform the same.  There's something very special about a club that performs up to the highest level that your capable of.

Edited by NPVWhiz, 28 November 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#9 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152241
  • Ebay ID:brentregis
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Theres no uniformity from one manufacturers flex to another so i wouldnt worry about that too much. If it feels good and the results compliment that then go with it.

Furthermore stiff shafts tend to have a better dispersion b/c they flex less throughout the swing, making it more consistent. If you spray it everywhere, try something stiffer (including alcoholic beverages)

Edited by CaddiesFault, 29 November 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#10 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glenmorangie 18yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 875

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Contrary to those that say "get fit"... that doesn't always prove positive, unless you get lucky finding a fitter that has more then rudimentary understanding of swing mechanic variables.

I have a faster then normal swing, fast hands at impact and often do not reach the top of my back swing.  Hence fast, less then optimum transition, that relies on hand speed at impact in conjunction with physical strength to realize distance.  SW 100mph +/-.  I play stiff and x-stiff shafts depending on bend profile and weight.  Mid-High bend benefits me the most, but that depends on tip stiffness.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 robbie91

robbie91

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42606
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Low 90's swing speed is upper end of regular flex to begin with. With a quick tempo a stiff flex should be more optimal for you. It's also important to remember the kind of shaft you choose is going to make a difference. You are going to want to look into something in the softer/mid range of stiff flex for optimal results. Obviously, a fitting is the best case scenario. It sounds like you liked your friends shaft.. maybe just purchase one of those shafts in stiff. Either way I think a stiff flex is fine in this case. Most fittings I have done with better players generally yield a result where the golfer needs a slightly stiffer shaft anyway. Good luck in your search!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors