Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Why is there an offseason for handicap score reporting?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Awal

Awal

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140008
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Played yesterday in beautiful 60+ degree weather and shot a decent score. I'd like to be able to report it for handicap purposes, but it's offseason here in Colorado. What's the logic behind why there's an offseason in the north for score reporting? The course was in good shape; there was no lift, clean and place in effect. It doesn't seem like there's any reason that my score shouldn't count. If I would have played a couple hundred miles south in the same conditions, I believe it's a reportable score. Especially in these days when everything is just a score in a computer database that spits out an index, why is there an offseason for score reporting?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Allen Robertson

Allen Robertson

Seattle Seahawks - Superbowl XLVIII Champions

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93984
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Because in most cases this time of year,  the courses are in much worse shape than in the Regular playing season. Thus they limit the time of year for postable scores.

#3 RRFireblade

RRFireblade

AKA Jay.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23410
  • Handicap:+6.0
  • Ebay ID:RRFireblade
GolfWRX Likes : 1120

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Exactly.  They can't plan for non typical 'winter' conditions , once you get passed the point that the likely hood of typical avergae playing conditions get passed a certain point ,you have to shut it down. Otherwise there are people that would be out playing in the snow and posting scores. :)
RFE 8.5* XS
RHT #3 XS
Cally MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally Forged 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

#4 lander215

lander215

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65964
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

They can't maintain the course over the winter months the same as they can during the growth season. Right now the greens around here are very fast and won't hold an approach shot simply because they've gone dormant and the super's can't maintain their normal height. In fact, I played last Wednesday and after a few holes stopped making approaches on the green and instead made my approach shots short of the green to leave myself a nice short bump and run each time. Same thing Friday on completely different turf...the greens just aren't holding.

#5 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

I can see it back in the day, you know, before jet aeroplanes but maybe it's time to put this part of the Rule Book out to pasture.  Millions of golfers jet off to play in the offseason and many do it for months at a time playing dozens or 100's of rounds.  Do they just forget these scores ever happened when they get back to their home club?

RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg (on the way)
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
RH Vokey 52º, 56º 60º Spin Milled 2

#6 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostSocrates, on 26 November 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

I can see it back in the day, you know, before jet aeroplanes but maybe it's time to put this part of the Rule Book out to pasture.  Millions of golfers jet off to play in the offseason and many do it for months at a time playing dozens or 100's of rounds.  Do they just forget these scores ever happened when they get back to their home club?

The offseason is based on the location of the course.   If you live in Nebraska, but go to AZ to play 18 holes...it can be entered as part of your handicap since AZ has no offseason.

http://www.usga.org/...ision-Schedule/

#7 KDMullins

KDMullins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17765
  • Ebay ID:uklawdawg
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

No.  If you play in a location where they are still in season, the score should be posted.

#8 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

We know that the course conditions aren't the same in the winter as they are in the spring/summer/fall for some states.  My guess/assumption why seasonal handicaps were created is that the course conditions in the winter (or offseason) would adversely affect your scoring and as result your handicap would not reflect your true scoring potential (especially for tournaments).  

If you really wanted to be conspiracy theorist...one could speculate that an unscrupulous golfer might try to play a lot of golf in the winter months to increase his/her handicap without making it look apparent.   Then come spring and tournament time...he/she is flighted in a flight that isn't reflective of his/her skills. Then again...if someone went to that extreme...he/she would just enter higher scores and/or shoot really bad scores in the last few holes to increase a handicap.

#9 myspinonit

myspinonit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162493
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostKDMullins, on 26 November 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

No.  If you play in a location where they are still in season, the score should be posted.

A lot of guys in my men's club don't for winter scores ( no one enforces it) and both of those issues ticks me off. Often as they play in Palm Springs area and they post better scores there than Vancouver, Canada with temperatures, roll, maintained courses etc.  there.

I'm playing in Hawaii right now on vacation  and my scores are higher than average getting used to Bermuda greens and fairways, heavy wind  as well as unfamiliar layouts. And just playing plain awful!! I will post the scores.

The fact that I WILL post them actually isn't helping me relax on the courses here as I hate going up in HC when I'm working hard to improve.  And knowing I do need to post the scores.

I could easily have played 2 balls every hole today (my wife and I played Makena and realistically had the course to ourselves!) and hedged it as a "practice round".  Or hit a bunch of Mulligans and just had fun.
Ping G25 10.5* Stock TFC 189D
Ping G25 16.5* Stock TFC 189F
G20 20* 23* 27* Harrison Impulse TR90
Miura Reg PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70
Vokey 51/07 55/10 60/07 Steelifiber i80
Versa 7 CS  35" w/SS Mid Slim 2.0

#10 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4637

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

In some northern places, posting offseason scores is a fantastic way to sandbag. A lot of people do it. Nothing worse then the guy who is really a 1 or a 2 posting 15 straight 85's in November and April and then playing handicapped tournaments as an 8 handicap in May. Drives me nuts. But it happens a lot

the offseason is necessary and should be respected. But not a lot of people know about it. I sometimes get grief for NOT posting scores in November, when you are not supposed to

Cobra Amp Cell 8.5 w/Fujikura Fuel
Cobra Amp Cell 13 w/Fujikura Fuel
Callaway X hot pro Hybrid 16/ PXv
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• 3,253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 628

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

I love playing in Dec/Jan/Feb when the water of the retention/reclaimed water for watering pond has been frozen over.

One hole in particular is a par 5 with 50-75 feet of water right in front of the green. Always a layup hole when there's no ice on the pond. In the winter, I'll be on in 2 as I hit my 3w for my 2nd shot, and land short on the frozen ground, bounce a couple times across the ice and be on the green.

Should that eagle putt be counted? They are skill shots afterall!!!  :)

--kC
RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

#12 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Even in states that have year round score posting (such as Georgia where I live) the indexes typically go up several points over the winter, for those of us who play at least most weekends in the winter.  It is colder and windier and the fairways are dormant.  Plus, we are playing  and practicing less - maybe one time per week instead of 2-3 times per week.  I would guess that some amount of seasonal fluctuation in scores is pretty typical, though.

#13 TheWalker

TheWalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208565
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

I'm no expert, but my guess is... in Winter, some parts of the course will be easier, some will be harder.  Which means that the course rating & slope are no longer accurate.

#14 DaveLeeNC

DaveLeeNC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54590
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

View Postatlanta golfer, on 27 November 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

Even in states that have year round score posting (such as Georgia where I live) the indexes typically go up several points over the winter, for those of us who play at least most weekends in the winter.  It is colder and windier and the fairways are dormant.  Plus, we are playing  and practicing less - maybe one time per week instead of 2-3 times per week.  I would guess that some amount of seasonal fluctuation in scores is pretty typical, though.

My index tends to drift up roughly two strokes in the winter (typically) from around 5.0 to the 7 range. I am in NC and my practice/play time doesn't change a whole bunch by season. I have years of pretty detailed stats including my own version of the PGA Tour 'Putts Gained' stat (which accounts for the length of putts). I have found that roughly half of my index upward creep is putting. I am guessing it is because in the heart of the winter there is little to no healing  on the greens, but we still get pretty heavy play. So they just don't roll as well as in the summer.

dave

Edited by DaveLeeNC, 28 November 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#15 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostAwal, on 26 November 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

why is there an offseason for score reporting?

There's no offseason in Georgia.

#16 Truman

Truman

Advanced

• 436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119361
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

In the northern states, where the off season is on effect, the purpose is to limit the amount a handicap could change due to the adverse weather and course conditions.

#17 ennead

ennead

• 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171046
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostAwal, on 26 November 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

Played yesterday in beautiful 60+ degree weather and shot a decent score. I'd like to be able to report it for handicap purposes, but it's offseason here in Colorado. What's the logic behind why there's an offseason in the north for score reporting? The course was in good shape; there was no lift, clean and place in effect. It doesn't seem like there's any reason that my score shouldn't count. If I would have played a couple hundred miles south in the same conditions, I believe it's a reportable score. Especially in these days when everything is just a score in a computer database that spits out an index, why is there an offseason for score reporting?

I live in Colorado and shot a good score yesterday as well.

A.  They haven't watered the fairways in weeks, so you get about 20 yards more role out
B.  The greens are much slower right now (no water, no mowing, no rolling = fuzzy).  That can be good and bad as far as score, but mostly good since you can generally just hammer the ball on line since there is less break, and less penalty for missing long.
C.  Most of the maintenance staff is off for the season, so they have no tee markers out and are using set pins.  From day to day I find it a bit easier to play this way, since I can pick a familiar tee shot and learn the 2 or 3 pins they have in play at each hole.  During the season most courses are able to provide quite a bit of variety.

This may not be the case at your particular spot, but for the most part, those are the big reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors