Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best personal launch monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 woosey

woosey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 213037
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi Guys,

Signed up here as almost every time i google launch monitor reviews, i get pointed here!

I'm a reasonable player who wants to get to scratch but i want to invest in a launch monitor to -

* Accurate Distances (Carry would be enough, roll is a seasonal variable!)
* Ball speed (or Swing speed / smash factor)
* Spin (back and side)

Now we all know trackman / flightscope are king, but even second hand they are *way* out of budget (i would set my budget at $700 less would be nice though!)

I see more and more 'budget' LMs are coming out -

itrainer mini
Swingbyte
PureContact
GolfSense

but i *really* question how accurate they are which at the end of the day is the most important part!

My usage would be outside on a grass range, or perhaps indoors (if my lounge is big enough ;)) so battery power will be required.

Are there any suggestions? Can i get away with an itrainer or is there something i haven't heard about that might suit me better? Or am i looking for the impossible product?!

Quick other note is that i'm UK based so please bear that in mind for postage / import tax from the states (assuming product x doesn't have a european distro) :)

Thanks guys!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Hstead

Hstead

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
GolfWRX Likes : 1090

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

I bought and sold a Vector LM on ebay for about what you are looking at $800 range.  I had it a couple of years and used it often.  They can be helpful learning yardages, dialing in equipment etc.  Check ebay, there are often LMs there for reasonable rates.  My Vector was pretty accurate once you had it set up correctly and marked the balls correctly.  It was an older model but it was very good at launch angle, spin, and distance.  It "estimated" clubhead speed which did not bother me, I was more concerned with ball speed, launch, and spin.
Ping G30 9* 65 Tour X
Wishon 919FD 12*-S2S 85 X
Ping i20 3-UW Nippon SP Blue X
TM Tour Preferred 54 - Vokey TVD K 58
Ping Anser Byron DH89 Edel Low Tide Fin
Bridgestone Tour B330

#3 J5isalive

J5isalive

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142495
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Another recommendation for the Vector's, they are every bit as accurate (actually more so...) for spin rate and ball speed as Track Man, how ever you dont get ball tracking as they are not doppler based systems.

The newer Vectors have auto focusing and are easier to use as long as you have consistent lighting.

#4 woosey

woosey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

I've been offered a zelocity pure launch - would that be better?

Edited by woosey, 26 November 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#5 goatbarn

goatbarn

smashin' goats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106244
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Zelocity's native software does not actually measure spin. It's estimated from random variable lookup tables from what I've heard.

The products you mentioned in your OP don't measure spin either.

Vector, Vector Pro, Vector X, GC2 or the soon to be released GGS LX/LX Pro are your only reasonable options if buying new. If you find a once in a lifetime deal you may get a GC2 for sub $2000.

Unless Zelocity has released a new software that has addressed the mentioned falsities, I would stay away from them.

Cheap options to capture accurate ball data are still just being reached currently. Hopefully in the next year or two there will be a sub $1000 option that'll accurately give all ball data.

#6 woosey

woosey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

yup checking google shows this little lot of issues -

http://www.4gea.com/...ORUM&msg=8475.1

will be giving that a miss :)

I wasn't so keen on a Vector due to the need to stripe balls etc. Looks like i'm fast out of luck here :(

#7 J5isalive

J5isalive

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142495
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Dont look at the negative of the vecor about drawing on a golfball...  The only time is sucks is if you take it to the range, but if it is for home use you really only need to draw on 2-3 golfballs as you will likely be hitting into a net or screen and can easily retrieve the ball.

The perfect option is the small portable Foresight GC2, but as mentioned price hasnt fallen much on them yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors