Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

EFFECTIVE LOFT CHANGES MY ENTIRE THOUGHT PROCESS


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 That Bob Guy

That Bob Guy

    Never settle!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125497
  • Joined: 03/29/2011
  • Location:On the Bay of Fundy
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

I've been reading about face angle and it's relation to effective loft.
Did you know that face angle at impact dictates the effective loft of the club at a 1:1 ratio,
In metal woods and hybrids?
So, all these years, I've been attempting to hit high long approach shots to the green, by laying the club face open, and playing the ball up in my stance, is only defeating the process. In fact, I'm turning my 15
degree 3 wood into a driver off the deck. A slight exaggeration, to make my point.
Am I correct in my summation?



Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

    LEDLIYLBSIWB

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2196
  • Joined: 07/06/2005
  • Location:Gilbert, Az
GolfWRX Likes : 878

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

If you open the face of  a 15 wood and get it back to square it's still 15 degrees, assuming it measures 15 degrees and measures square.  You're statement is about measured face versus measured loft. If you buy  a 15 degree 3w that is two degrees open and get it back to square it's now around ~ 13 degrees. Actually it's about one degree to 0.7 degrees , not 1:1.
Titleist SM5 54m 60k
Titleist Newport 1.5

#3 That Bob Guy

That Bob Guy

    Never settle!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125497
  • Joined: 03/29/2011
  • Location:On the Bay of Fundy
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostGolfjunki71, on 25 November 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

If you open the face of  a 15 wood and get it back to square it's still 15 degrees, assuming it measures 15 degrees and measures square.  You're statement is about measured face versus measured loft. If you buy  a 15 degree 3w that is two degrees open and get it back to square it's now around ~ 13 degrees. Actually it's about one degree to 0.7 degrees , not 1:1.
... What I was trying to say was, 1 degree open = 1 less degree of loft, if you deliver the clubface to the ball 1 degree open.

#4 nova6868

nova6868

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140033
  • Joined: 09/27/2011
  • Location:San Antonio, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Effective loft only applies to clubs that are BUILT open or closed.

#5 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

    LEDLIYLBSIWB

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2196
  • Joined: 07/06/2005
  • Location:Gilbert, Az
GolfWRX Likes : 878

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

No you have it backwards. If you open it up and deliver it open, you have more loft.



View PostTheBobGuy, on 25 November 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

View PostGolfjunki71, on 25 November 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

If you open the face of  a 15 wood and get it back to square it's still 15 degrees, assuming it measures 15 degrees and measures square.  You're statement is about measured face versus measured loft. If you buy  a 15 degree 3w that is two degrees open and get it back to square it's now around ~ 13 degrees. Actually it's about one degree to 0.7 degrees , not 1:1.
... What I was trying to say was, 1 degree open = 1 less degree of loft, if you deliver the clubface to the ball 1 degree open.

Titleist SM5 54m 60k
Titleist Newport 1.5

#6 tommy89

tommy89

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176874
  • Joined: 04/23/2012
  • Location:UK innit
  • Handicap:8 UK
GolfWRX Likes : 192

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

If you think about it. Playing a high lob you open the face at address and deliver it open. Increasing the loft ;)

#7 That Bob Guy

That Bob Guy

    Never settle!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125497
  • Joined: 03/29/2011
  • Location:On the Bay of Fundy
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

View Posttommy89, on 25 November 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

If you think about it. Playing a high lob you open the face at address and deliver it open. Increasing the loft ;)
Yeah, but that is with an iron. Flat face. No buldge and roll.

#8 That Bob Guy

That Bob Guy

    Never settle!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125497
  • Joined: 03/29/2011
  • Location:On the Bay of Fundy
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

There is an article on the web by Jeff Summit of Hireko Golf. I just can't seem to attach it.

Google effective loft driver, and you see "The relationship between loft and face angle"

#9 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

    LEDLIYLBSIWB

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2196
  • Joined: 07/06/2005
  • Location:Gilbert, Az
GolfWRX Likes : 878

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

That article is for as measured loft and face. We already explained it. It is just like the lob wedge example given.
Titleist SM5 54m 60k
Titleist Newport 1.5




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors