Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Pulling shaft from Callaway FT-IQ....anybody?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LBlack14

LBlack14

Say it to my face!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30664
  • Ebay ID:LBlack14
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Thinking on pulling a shaft from an FT-IQ and wondering if anybody's done it without issue. I've pulled from other composite drivers before, but never a Callaway.

Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Colej

Colej

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162677
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

You can try to wrap the clubhead in a wet towel or old sock if you need to save the shaft. They make a gel that can spray on a clubhead to protect the finish but I don't see how it would keep it from transferring heat.

Probably the easiest way to make sure the head is not damaged would be to cut it off flush and drill it out or stick a hot rod down the inside of the shaft.

#3 swanry30

swanry30

VaporWRX

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14598
  • Ebay ID:swanry30
GolfWRX Likes : 428

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

i've pulled quite a few using a similar method to the one above.  frozen towel and gel to protect the paint.  i also made a hosel sleeve (similar to the "sleeve" you can purchase on golfsmith or other online clubmaker component stores) that your shaft puller presses against.  the only trick is not overheating - so be patient.  never had any issues with the seal breaking down the road and have had great luck saving shafts in my ft-3/5/9 tours.
Nike CT 2.0 10.5* - Motore Speeder 7.2TS
Nike CT 2.0 15* - Motore Speeder 8.2TS
Nike CP 17* hybrid - TOUR AD DI 95x
Nike 2014 Split Cavity 3-PW - PX 6.5
Nike MOD 30 - SS Flatso Ultra 1.1
Nike Raw VR Forged 54.12 / 58.10
WITB Link

#4 LBlack14

LBlack14

Say it to my face!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30664
  • Ebay ID:LBlack14
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

1 more question....is that ferrule normal plastic or is it a kind of resin like the Nike str8fit ? I pulled an adapter from one of the Razr Fits and it wasn't a normal ferrule and was kind of a b*tch to cut off.

#5 DallasSteve

DallasSteve

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65227
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

The ferrule/adapter is a little harder than a "normal" ferrule, but the bigger problem is the fact that is epoxied onto the shaft.  Not insurmountable by any means, just a bit more of a challenge.  Getting the shaft out is extremely doable with the Golfsmith sleeve and a wet rag wrapped around the head, covering about half of the metal "cup" around the entire circumference.  I also wrap a very small wet rag or paper towel around the ferrule to protect it and the shaft from the heat source, then I leave it there when pushing the sleeve against the head to push the head off the shaft (to protect the finish on the clubhead from the sleeve).  I direct the heat at the face, rather than all around, in order to protect the paint.  There is a sweetspot to hit with the heat, right where you might guess it should be.  I've done at least 25 in the last 3 or 4 years, and have saved every shaft and never lost a head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors